• CC
    PotW is back with a special edition Happy Holidays!
    ~Deadline to enter is Monday, December the 19th at 9 PM UTC.

you're nitpicking

Deathbringerpt

Dreamer of Possibilities
Wiki lists it as a dadao, which it does resemble on some level. That's excluding his generic Reishi broad swords.

That sword was such a fucking plastic toy looking thing. I always found it lame that Ywach was fighting Yamamoto with that thing, his energy sword looked at lot cooler.

And then Ywach almost never uses either sword anyway. Although I do like the Alucard Eye infested Ink look.

Mar55

The Darkness Rises
I actually disagree, I hated his generic ass energy swords and his ridiculous ass Almighty eyes. Mimihagi was a cool aesthetic, but the Soul King darkness shit was an artistic travesty. A good few designs in the final arc were underwhelming or just straight up trash.

MarchLochnessMarch

I personally disliked Yhwach's devolution from an unkempt pirate rockstar into a big ink blot whose signature move was tossing sludge. And I wasn't crazy about the Reishi sword, either. Maybe it'll look cooler when it's animated, but it felt weightless and ill-defined on the page.

The more "godly" Yhwach became, the more his gravitas evaporated in my eyes.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
I personally disliked Yhwach's devolution from an unkempt pirate rockstar into a big ink blot whose signature move was tossing sludge. And I wasn't crazy about the Reishi sword, either. Maybe it'll look cooler when it's animated, but it felt weightless and ill-defined on the page.

The more "godly" Yhwach became, the more his gravitas evaporated in my eyes.
The sludge thing would have worked better if he had done more than just throw it around. In one chapter it looked like he was preparing a wing to fly. Imagine if he had used it to create constructs like fist, weapons etc.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
Hell, imagine if he had used it to summon a giant black dragon to fight Ichigo for him and is what Ichigo used to merge with his Hollow.

MarchLochnessMarch

This is a pretty broad nitpick, but a lot of Turn Back the Pendulum irks me from a world-building sense. I know it's popular, but it makes a lot of weird choices with the timeline that doesn't jive with the present state of affairs.

Namely that Urahara was accused of Hollowfying practically half the Gotei 13, but his punishment is... exile? Really? These same people thought vaporizing Rukia with a godspear was a proportionate punishment for desertion. Urahara was charged with friggin' treason, perverting the laws of nature, and decimating Soul Society's military force. Wouldn't the Gotei be hunting this guy to the ends of the multiverse?

It's not like he was hard to find: he was hanging around on literally the most spiritually-important place on Earth and running a blackmarket shop with his fucking name on it.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
This is a pretty broad nitpick, but a lot of Turn Back the Pendulum irks me from a world-building sense. I know it's popular, but it makes a lot of weird choices with the timeline that doesn't jive with the present state of affairs.

Namely that Urahara was accused of Hollowfying practically half the Gotei 13, but his punishment is... exile? Really? These people brought out a legendary weapon to vaporize Rukia for the crime of giving a human her power. Urahara was charged with friggin' treason, perverting the laws of nature, and decimating Soul Society's military force. Wouldn't the Gotei be hunting this guy to the ends of the multiverse?

It's not like he was hard to find: he was hanging around on literally the most spiritually-important place on Earth and running a blackmarket shop with his fucking name on it.
They wanted to take his powers away too.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
Soul Society punishments ranked by severity:
Being turned into a normal dude and left to chill > being ceremonially speared through by a burning phoenix of death
I mean, let’s be honest, that was Aizen’s doing. But pretty sure is more due to the humiliation of living the rest of your life as a normal person.

MarchLochnessMarch

I mean, is it really a nitpick if it contradicts what we are shown?
You misunderstand me; I wasn't conceding the point, I just didn't wanna debate it because I didn't wanna bog down the thread. 😅 But what the hell, I'll explain why it doesn't add up at all for me.

You're right that Rukia wouldn't have been sentenced to fiery death if it weren't for Aizen's chicanery, but most of the Shinigami accepted the judgment with a "yeah, that's how it goes." These guys have been operating under an extremely punitive justice system for a long time. Turn Back the Pendulum would like for us to think that being turned into a human is the absolute worst punishment in Soul Society's eyes and worse than brutal death, but... c'mon. It's a sloppy yadda-yadda to explain why he's an exile and not the Gotei's Most Wanted Man.

Besides, they all believed Urahara was guilty of ruining a third of the Gotei in one fell swoop with mad science -- there is absolutely no way they'd let him live in any capacity. Setting aside their extremely feudal sense of justice, he would be a huge liability. It's not like Earth wouldn't provide a treasonous mad scientist with any ammo against them -- there are Fullbringers and shit running around.

That's my nitpick. It causes more questions than answers. TBTP turned Urahara from "that rascal who was kicked out for being irresponsible with his inventions" to "the guy framed for violating just about every law in Soul Society and destroying a generation of the Gotei." Yama wouldn't have rested until his head was mounted on his wall.

Last edited:

MarchLochnessMarch

I got another big nitpick: the moment when Aizen tries to mindfuck Ichigo with the whole "you don't truly hate me in your heart, so you don't have it in you to properly fight me" is some contrived bullshit.

Aizen is in Karakura Town to eradicate everyone Ichigo has ever known. Literally obliterate them from existence with no comfort of reincarnation. His intention is to kill Ichigo's family, friends, acquaintances, and every stranger he ever passed by on the street. How is that not enough reason for Ichigo to viscerally hate this guy from the bottom of his heart?

Aizen whips out the grand wisdom of "your friends in Hueco Mundo who have all been brutalized and traumatized ten times over in the past 24 hours because of me are still alive, so... you technically can't have a grudge against me."

And Ichigo's just like "shit, he's got a point."

Aizen isn't being astute or clever here: he's saying something completely asinine and Ichigo only reacts like it's intimidating because the plot wants him to be intimidated. It's bad writing that really sticks out because this is a huge moment when the series protagonist and antagonist meet again after two hundred chapters separated.

Last edited:

Ashi

Kon.
I got another big nitpick: the moment when Aizen tries to mindfuck Ichigo with the whole "you don't truly hate me in your heart, so you don't have it in you to properly fight me" is some contrived bullshit.

Aizen is in Karakura Town to eradicate everyone Ichigo has ever known. Literally obliterate them from existence with no comfort of reincarnation. His intention is to kill Ichigo's family, friends, acquaintances, and every stranger he ever passed by on the street. How is that not enough reason for Ichigo to viscerally hate this guy from the bottom of his heart?

Aizen whips out the grand wisdom of "your friends in Hueco Mundo who have all been brutalized and traumatized ten times over in the past 24 hours because of me are still alive, so... you technically can't have a grudge against me."

Aizen isn't being astute or clever here: he's saying something completely asinine and Ichigo only reacts like it's intimidating because the plot wants him to be intimidated. It's bad writing that really sticks out because this is a huge moment when the series protagonist and antagonist meet again after two hundred chapters separated.
Not to drag you into another pointless debate, but Ichigo’s stake in the war stopped being personal after Orihime was secured and was and sound. Ideally, the squads would’ve handled the rest

Aizen’s cliché anime villain speech was mainly to make Ichigo second guess whether he should even be there and it works because Aizen

He’s wrong ofc btw, if Ichigo didn’t step up cause he thought “not my problem” then if Aizen succeeded it literally would’ve been on him

MarchLochnessMarch

Not to drag you into another pointless debate, but Ichigo’s stake in the war stopped being personal after Orihime was secured and was and sound. Ideally, the squads would’ve handled the rest

Aizen’s cliché anime villain speech was mainly to make Ichigo second guess whether he should even be there and it works because Aizen
I refer you back to my point here:
Aizen is in Karakura Town to eradicate everyone Ichigo has ever known. Literally obliterate them from existence with no comfort of reincarnation. His intention is to kill Ichigo's family, friends, acquaintances, and every stranger he ever passed by on the street.

Last edited:

Mar55

The Darkness Rises

Every single villain speech to Ichigo in this vein is some major bullshit, I don't understand why it ever worked on him or why Kubo thought it made sense.

This isn't nitpicking. IMO it was a big issue.

And like Mar55 stated, I don't really understand why it always worked on Ichigo, or why Kubo thought it was wise to go that route so many times. It just made him look dumb AF to me. And Ichigo constantly succumbing to it one way or another made it show like there was no development for him whatsoever.

In Aizen's case, it was so blantant that Ichigo should've easily come up with the response that you just wrote in the bolded.

Keishin

You guys do realize that Aizen was about to level the entire earth of Karakura Town right? Literally craterize the entire place. He was just trying to manipulate Ichigo by feeding him that.

Top Bottom