• LL
    Voting is live in The LifeStyle Lounge-Animal Photo Contest!
    The poll closes on Dec 1, 2021 at 2:06 AM UTC.
  • It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.

Fitness Workout Thread!

Schneider

Wise Guy
I still want to get back into the MMA gym next year. But that's $1680 a year if I get the base package. :mitsukidefeat But really worth every penny for the level of instruction you’re receiving.
Do you get complete blend of striking and grappling for mma curriculum or do you have them separately and piece them up yourself?

Where I live there is only the latter option and I'd gladly pay for the former. Man what I'd give for complete instructionals like Firas Zahabi and GSP :bury

Delta Shell

Having a full MMA programme is actually more fun too tbh, I love striking and I love grappling and have trained them separately for many years but getting to use all your tools is way more fun.

Skyfall

Do you get complete blend of striking and grappling for mma curriculum or do you have them separately and piece them up yourself?

Where I live there is only the latter option and I'd gladly pay for the former. Man what I'd give for complete instructionals like Firas Zahabi and GSP :bury
The place I go is mostly BJJ focused. But they do have 2 MMA days a week, a beginner and an advanced class on both days. I normally try to do both of those.

The MMA class generally starts with like a 10 minute warm up of pad work where the instructor calls out various combos, after that it's around 10-15 minutes of a specific combo that he's teaching that class on pads. Then normally 10-15 minutes on a striking combo that leads into a takedown. Then the class ends with 3 rounds of sparring where you swap partners every round most of the time.

So it does mix them in quite well, but if you just do the MMA classes you won't have a very good BJJ game. But you will learn how to get take downs, get dominant position, and ground and pound. But to really be comfortable you'd have to take the BJJ courses on top of those.

savior2005

Second day back at gym after Covid

Hit 115lbs for 5 reps on Overhead press (precovid I did 120lbs for 5 reps).
Hit 225lbs squat for 3 reps (precovid I did 235 for 3 reps)
Hit 195lbs for 5 reps on Bent Over Row (no change from Precovid, but the weight felt heavier/harder).

Overall not a bad workout though eating a lot of food yesterday during Thanksgiving probably helped a lot. I think I will be back to my precovid numbers by end of next week.

Schneider

Wise Guy
So it does mix them in quite well, but if you just do the MMA classes you won't have a very good BJJ game
This makes me think gone has the days when bjj was a major central component in mma. Or at least in the ufc. Nowadays people can get away with only takedowns and defense as far as grappling goes, and its much easier to ground and pound over applying (grounded) subs.

Boxing for hands, movement, angles, kickbox (thai or karate, or etc) for legs and other limbs, and wrestling for grappling control.

Delta Shell

This makes me think gone has the days when bjj was a major central component in mma. Or at least in the ufc. Nowadays people can get away with only takedowns and defense as far as grappling goes, and its much easier to ground and pound over applying (grounded) subs.

Boxing for hands, movement, angles, kickbox (thai or karate, or etc) for legs and other limbs, and wrestling for grappling control.
Wrestling, subs and striking is a good enough mix.

BJJ is useful for the subs and escapes from bad spots though.

BJJ has diverged a lot from MMA (it used to be a lot closer) and kinda become it's own thing. Lot's of stuff has become popular that would just get your face smashed. I was cornering some matches this weekend and the ruleset really pissed me off.

Skyfall

Planning a trip with some friends to Greece over the summer. And me and one of my boys were going to go a couple days early so we could go climb Mount Olympus. I learned my lesson on the Appalachian Trail to not underestimate it, so I'm going to need to really put in some work in the gym to help prepare my legs for it.

So probably going to be a lot of stairmaster in the future for me.

savior2005

Planning a trip with some friends to Greece over the summer. And me and one of my boys were going to go a couple days early so we could go climb Mount Olympus. I learned my lesson on the Appalachian Trail to not underestimate it, so I'm going to need to really put in some work in the gym to help prepare my legs for it.

So probably going to be a lot of stairmaster in the future for me.
Haha, my last trip to Spain I knew I was going to walk a lot. So to prepare for that I upped my fitness through boxing, strength training, and cardio.

My friends got tired really quick from all the walking in the trip, but it was cakewalk for me due to getting fit, or at least more fit then them.

Skyfall

Haha, my last trip to Spain I knew I was going to walk a lot. So to prepare for that I upped my fitness through boxing, strength training, and cardio.

My friends got tired really quick from all the walking in the trip, but it was cakewalk for me due to getting fit, or at least more fit then them.
That’s the plan for me as well. Walking on flat ground I could do forever I feel like. But up a mountain and stair master kills me. Lol anything over 50 floors on the stair master and I’m hurting, and on mount Olympus it’s like 380 floors or something ridiculous just to get to the hostel on the mountain. And another 2 hour hike from there to reach the peak.

Will be a tester for sure.

Schneider

Wise Guy
Lot's of stuff has become popular that would just get your face smashed.
Can't stress this enough. My club's "self defense" or "keeping it real" sessions will never mask it's competition/sport grappling core. One mate who was smashing local (no gi) comps was asked about gn'p on his breadwinning guard game and his respond was "just do mma bruv".

Which is perfectly justified, but i do find a slight dissonance with their insistence of "self defence" marketing. I mean there's nothing wrong with sport grappling, imo it's a fun and healthy workout, but most bjj people are unable to let go of the "self defense" brand for some reason.

Nova

Did some squats today with weights then frog leaps transitioning into jumping jacks. I couldn't even walk after...

Also did some calves stuff like leg raises

Godly Giraffe - King of the Uverworld

أفضل صديق هو العودة
Started working out in September, made slow progress due to a rotator cuff injury I sustained (independent of the actual workouts) but I finally feel healed enough for bench pressing. I caught a cold during the Thanksgiving weekend which kept me out of the game for 4 days, but finally got back into it and can't say I have felt better all week. I'm even skinnier and better looking than in my avatar now (which was taken a month or two ago; I was 220 lbs last year lol), and feel confident that nobody can look down on me again for being fat or unattractive which is a good confidence boost. Might even be enough to finally overcome anxiety disorder and chronic depression.

Skyfall

Dang Nice man, that's a lot of floors. Your legs will probably feel it tomorrow, but I personally somewhat enjoy DOMS.
You still benching heavy bro?
I haven't really been benching heavy at all, my chest days are mostly with dumbbells, and more high reps focused right now.

And I'm sure I'll be feeling it tomorrow. You know you did something when the DOMS hit. Love that feeling. Unless it's that first leg day after not going in a month or two. That one can really suck.

Schneider

Wise Guy
You can. We probably logged at least 10 miles each day over various terrain (cities, mountain, stairs etc) for 5 days straight. My feet did have blisters.
My bad, by "tired" i meant breathing like a horse with crippling lactic buildup and your heart running over 180 bpm on the verge of throwing up. And drowning in sweat. But thats just one form of "tired" i guess.

I do get sore from mere 10 km walks, particularly my lower back. And the mental fatigue too perhaps. Physically still able to do it but zero desire to continue.

But sharp inclines, steep hills and stairs tho. Whole different ballgame.

savior2005

My bad, by "tired" i meant breathing like a horse with crippling lactic buildup and your heart running over 180 bpm on the verge of throwing up. And drowning in sweat. But thats just one form of "tired" i guess.

I do get sore from mere 10 km walks, particularly my lower back. And the mental fatigue too perhaps. Physically still able to do it but zero desire to continue.

But sharp inclines, steep hills and stairs tho. Whole different ballgame.
Yes it wasn't like that kind of tired. It was moreso "lets take a break my feet are killing me" type of tired.

Top Bottom