• Possible to see own rep. Its not perfect yet ;) The feature is temporarily disabled due to corrections that have to be made to the values. There will be no more negative reputations. Reputations are meant for positive appreciation or fair criticism. Spread love, not hate :)
  • It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.
  • We are currently testing encrypted messages. See the "Conversation by key" option within the conversations.
  • Voting for Drawing Contest 6 has started!
    drawing contest 06 vote
    Click [HERE] and [HERE] to vote
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Naruto Why do people pretermit that feat of Sage Jiraiya?

Rin

𝐏𝐬𝐲𝐜𝐑𝐨 πƒπžπ­πžπœπ­π’π―πž
Jiraiya confronts the Six Paths of Pain:

Jiraiya not only survives against the whole formation without an arm and out of conditions, but also is able to take the second strongest path to the acid toad and take him down:

Therefore, Jiraiya while heavily weakened is able to fight the whole formation, survive and take the second strongest path to death, despite also getting impaled by him, lol.
You can also look at the difference of the scenario to: before Jiraiya fights the Six Paths to after Jiraiya fights the Six Paths:

Kakashi paraphrases that same happening:

Why do people pretermit that fight?

"Ah but Jiraiya fought the Pain Trio and..." He was without knowledge on their abilities, that's why they instantly resorted to Frog Song. Otherwise, Jiraiya wouldn't even need it.
I mean, he literally broke the entire formation while weakened, so why would he need Frog Song against only three paths when at peak and having knowledge on their battle style?
This also supports Pain's statement in the end of the battle.

"Ah but Deva didn't fight b-because Fukasaku hadn't knowledge..." Fucking false, they hadn't knowledge because they hadn't enough time to analyze Deva Path's abilities. There's a fucking reason Kakashi (a top tier in intelligence) took chapters to understand Deva's techniques. Just re-read the chapters 421-423 and you'll understand something as simple as that.

Why do people ignore this and tend to guide themselves in a clumsly interpretation over Jiraiya vs. Pain Trio?

Also, Inb4 bringing up points that I've already refuted here while completely ignoring my arguments.

ThirdRidoku

Jiraiya not only survives against the whole formation without an arm and out of conditions, but also is able to take the second strongest path to the acid toad and take him down:

Therefore, Jiraiya while heavily weakened is able to fight the whole formation, survive and take the second strongest path to death, despite also getting impaled by him, lol.
You can also look at the difference of the scenario to: before Jiraiya fights the Six Paths to after Jiraiya fights the Six Paths:

Why do people ignore this and tend to guide themselves in a clumsly interpretation over Jiraiya vs. Pain Trio?

Also, Inb4 bringing up points that I've already refuted here while completely ignoring my arguments.
I include the feat. It's very impressive that he survived any amount of time in that state against a dude who scaled to the strongest Village.

But that doesn't necessarily exist at odds with him losing (extreme diff) to 3 paths.

He still lost to all 6 even though he survived for a while. And surviving is much easier then actually subdueing an enemy. He himself says he barely got one paths to go with him in the escape into the gourd.

It's still scales him way above the likes of PA Kakashi who admitted he couldn't replicate that feat.

Halcyonite

You make a fair argument, but this just comes down to people's own interpretations. For all we know, Jiraiya could have done some sneaky trickery to lure the Animal Path into his barrier after substituting away from the initial Pain formation attack, or he could have valiantly brawled with all of them at the same time, as you've put it. We can't definitely know.

Although, the destruction you cited AFTER Jiraiya had re-emerged from his barrier could likely have been the destructive force of Pain's abilities, not Jiraiya's. The anime seems to corroborate this when Deva Path completely destroys that wall with a swift movement of his hand.

100% though, you can take from this that SM Jiraiya > PA Kakashi in terms of portrayal, easily.

Rin

I include the feat. It's very impressive that he survived any amount of time in that state against a dude who scaled to the strongest Village.

But that doesn't necessarily exist at odds with him losing (extreme diff) to 3 paths.

He still lost to all 6 even though he survived for a while. And surviving is much easier then actually subdueing an enemy. He himself says he barely got one paths to go with him in the escape into the gourd.

It's still scales him way above the likes of PA Kakashi who admitted he couldn't replicate that feat.
No, because you're ignoring Jiraiya not only survived, but also took down Animal Path and he necessarily had to trick down the formation to make up for that. Also ignores the fact that he was extremely weakened.

And once again, Jiraiya was getting subdued by the Pain Trio because he hadn't knowledge. When he acquires knowledge about Shared Vision and all, he literally fought all of them and could bring one of them down β€” while weakened and one-armed.

Rin

For all we know, Jiraiya could have done some sneaky trickery to lure the Animal Path into his barrier after substituting away from the initial Pain formation attack, or he could have valiantly brawled with all of them at the same time, as you've put it.
In either way, the merit of Jiraiya remains, he can use sneaky tricks in battles, lol. However, I don't think Jiraiya brawled the Six Paths like a moron at the same time, I coadune with your interpretation, however... the feat remains, dothn't it?

And it refutes the argument that Jiraiya w/o Frog Song < Pain Trio, because if he could trick Animal Path when with 6PoP, why wouldn't he do the same with 3PoP?
Although, the destruction you cited AFTER Jiraiya had re-emerged from his barrier could likely have been the destructive force of Pain's abilities, not Jiraiya's.
That's exactly my point, though. This evidences the fact that a battle ocurred.
:hm

Halcyonite

And it refutes the argument that Jiraiya w/o Frog Song < Pain Trio, because if he could trick Animal Path when with 6PoP, why wouldn't he do the same with 3PoP?
It implies that he needs an element of surprise to gain the upper hand.

That's exactly my point, though. This evidences the fact that a battle ocurred.
:hm
It's not as simple as just " a battle occurred" though, Jiraiya actually FIGHTING the Paths of Pain should be given more merit than Jiraiya just surviving against them, and then escaping into the toad barrier (implying he could not have kept it up for much longer at all).

Sonic

Because Jiriaya vs the three Pain is among the many fights that are used to underrated characters. Nothing new.
Victim : Obito : Obito against Konan

Victim : Tsunade : Tsunade against Kabuto

Victim : Kabuto Kabuto against kid Naruto

Victim : Bee Bee vs MS Sasuke

Victim : Sage Naruto Sage Naruto vs Pain.

Victim : Kisame Kisame vs Jiriaya

Victim : Jiriaya Jiriaya vs KN4 Jiriaya vs Orochimaru

A4 : A4 vs Base Bee

These are the most agregious that I can think of of a character being underrated because of people not understanding nuance.

ThirdRidoku

No, because you're ignoring Jiraiya not only survived, but also took down Animal Path and he necessarily had to break down the formation to make up for that. Also ignores the fact that he was extremely weakened.

And once again, Jiraiya was getting subdued by the Pain Trio because he hadn't knowledge. When he acquires knowledge about Shared Vision and all, he literally fought all of them and could bring one of them down β€” while weakened and one-armed.
1)

He barely took the Animal Path with him and failed at taking the other 5 outright. Animal Path injured him further solo before going down

He broke the formation sure, but that just means the other 5 pains dodged. We see a similar scenaro when Pain faces off against Naruto's First Rasenshuriken, 4 paths dodged and only 1 path bit the bullet.

2)

Not really. his fastest attack was reacted to and blocked, even with the support of a feint. and admitted his ninjutsu and taijutus was useless. His plan literally banked on each path having a single ability as if the other Path, say Human Path, could also absorb chakra he was fucked as then it could just absorb Yomi Numa and it'd be gg. his plan and assessment of the Pains took into account the best case scenario that each path only had a single ability.

Gin Ichimaru

He lost to all 6, but it was off panel and there's no evidence that Deva actually used his powers there

Because the village had 0 knowledge of Deva, Kakashi had to figure that shit out himself

And if we forget, Sage Naruto low diffed the paths sans Deva, who quite literally one-shot Sage Naruto

It's like people keep forgetting Deva is 80% of the power of the Paths of Pain lmao

In the end Jiraiya got casual diffed by like 25% of pain

Difference in Terrain.

Looks like Jman needs a deep enough pool of water to pull this trick off.

Even when he did, the animal path still stabbed him with the rod, which lends credence to the idea that 3 of them would have killed him considering he was in a place where he couldn't split them up, which was necessary to merely incap them..

Rin

It implies that he needs an element of surprise to gain the upper hand.
I don't know what you mean with "an element of surprise" but if he's able to do so against 6PoP, he can clearly do so against most of the enemies. Thus, the feat remains to be insane.
It's not as simple as just " a battle occurred" though, Jiraiya actually FIGHTING the Paths of Pain should be given more merit than Jiraiya just surviving against them, and then escaping into the toad barrier (implying he could not have kept it up for much longer at all).
Well, that would remain to be fine. Jiraiya being able to subsist against the Six Paths of Pain, while being extremely weakened and one-armed would tell us his level of power.

And well, he did fight them. He could defend (or else, he would've died), counterattack (trap chikushōdō) and proceed (to get out of their vision and hide).

We saw Jiraiya going on them on the first page, obviously he resorted to some resources and tricks to fight, but yes... he kinda fought them.
1)

He barely took the Animal Path with him and failed at taking the other 5 outright. Animal Path injured him further solo before going down

He broke the formation sure, but that just means the other 5 pains dodged. We see a similar scenaro when Pain faces off against Naruto's First Rasenshuriken, 4 paths dodged and only 1 path bit the bullet.
That's extremely erroneous of you to represent that feat of Jiraiya as a demerit. Once again, the fact that he could take Animal Path while weakened and one-armed is literally my point.
You're paraphrasing my opinion while trying to disagree with me. You're also trying to scorn the fact that Jiraiya could disrupt the formation, when that is represented as a hard strive by Jiraiya himself:

Sage Naruto β€” someone who's claimed to be superior to Jiraiya and was able to trade blows with Pain β€” being able to proceed with the same feat while; however, healthy and using his strongest attack, dothn't defer the fact that Jiraiya could do so. And even then, Naruto had the help of Gamabunta to do so, and I'm not going to mention Shima because Jiraiya had her help too.
Not really. his fastest attack was reacted to and blocked, even with the support of a feint. and admitted his ninjutsu and taijutus was useless. His plan literally banked on each path having a single ability as if the other Path, say Human Path, could also absorb chakra he was fucked as then it could just absorb Yomi Numa and it'd be gg. his plan and assessment of the Pains took into account the best case scenario that each path only had a single ability.
Yes, because he was acting slopilly against them: rushes with ninjutsu against someone who absorbs ninjutsu; tries to blindside someone who has shared vision.

Indeed, the reason why he was getting extremely subdued is because his methods in front of Pain were completely uncreative and unsuitable to the context.
After Jiraiya is able to effectively ratify his theories, he β€” while weakened and one-armed β€” is able to fight the whole formation without dying and being able to break it down (something he thought he couldn't do once) to take down Animal Path.

The curious thing is that Jiraiya, when able to segregate the Pain Trio, could literally subdue most of them without relying on Frog Song:

β€’ Human Path was restricted with Dark Swamp.
β€’ Animal Path was kicked away.
β€’ Preta Path was toiling whilst absorving the Katon.

Without Frog Song, what exactly would change? Jiraiya would still defeat Preta Path with Taijutsu while both paths were already nullified and would take down one by one.

Yes, he had advantage due to the location, but this dothn't refute the fact that Jiraiya, therefore, hadn't the need to resort to Frog Song. Jiraiya miscalculated when he said it was impossible to segregate them to fight one by one, since he literally proceeded with this plan when beating them up.

Rin

Looks like Jman needs a deep enough pool of water to pull this trick off.
This is pretty creative... except the feat remains to be good (unless Jiraiya was Kisame). He could have the help because the frog was hid in the water, but he still fought Pain and had to capture Animal Path.

~Kakashi~

Just stems from the fact that people get so caught up in their butthurt over certain arguments about characters that they can't evaluate anything involving those characters objectively. It's particularly bad from both sides of the Sannin vs Masters/Itachi fan debates.

Architect

A Minato stan from Minatostan
Seems like Jiraiya was dodging for a bit and then set up a trap. This seems in line with Ma-Pa-Ji's previous asessment of the their capabilities to confront just 3 of them. Also, another translation says

Sufex

The Ghost
@Rin but jman stated just 3 paths alone would kill him? Does he get stronger without one arm or was the statement bogus?

Last edited:

Turrin

ηŽ„ζ­¦
The feat is underrated because if he can last for a time against all 6 it means even all 6 can’t beat SM Jiriaya before Frog-Song goes off. Which is the reason why Pain only won due to having his secret and getting Jiriaya to waste a Frog-Song and Weakening him with an Ambush

Munboy Dracule O'Brian

You probably haven't convincingly addressed any points going by your post here.

1. Jiraiya was going to due to 3 Paths.
2. He relied on Pain-Nagato underestimating his Genjutsu.
3. Animal Path was not the second strongest Path; that's Demon Path
4. Databook 3 and the manga indicate Jiraiya was in no fighting condition.
5. Fukasaku confirms this by indicating they got Animal Path in their barrier through a fluke and that it would not work again.
6. Jiraiya did not know the powers of the 2 strongest Paths (Deva and Ashura); Kakashi had to die to get that intel to Konoha.
7. The secret is "the real one is not with them".
8. #2 involved using the Genjutsu on Nagato directly.

WorldsStrongest

Man of Miracles
Jiraiya not only survives against the whole formation

Therefore, Jiraiya while heavily weakened
Its very funny to me that Jiraiya stans are always lightning fast to argue that SM Jiraiya is "basically 3 Sages not just 1 sage" to hype the man but Ma and Pa and their contributions are entirely overlooked when Jiraiya and ONLY Jiraiya gets "weakened" and then the performance is totally attributed to JUST Jiraiya

For all we know, Ma and Pa CARRIED the dude in the later portions of the fight and Jiraiya was a fucking liability without his arm

Thats the issue with relying on off panel "scaling" to make a case

So with that said...Getting FURTHER into the meat here
Jiraiya while heavily weakened is able to fight the whole formation
He fights the whole formation sure but he fights less than half their fucking abilities :oldshrug

Konoha only gets intel on animal and preta paths Jutsu, and shared vision, and the fact the paths are basically puppets

Thats it

Meaning, he fought the "whole formation" wherein 4/6 of the Paths, including THE STRONGEST Path, were literally only providing shared vision and/or Taijutsu/Bukijutsu backup

And even then, with that MASSIVE fucking asterisk next to the phrase "whole formation"?

As you point out here...
despite also getting impaled by him
The man nearly fucking dies doing even just that

So to answer your question on why people pretermit the feat?

They dont

The feats just not nearly as good as you would think at face value to people who think it through logically

And the Jiraiya stans who use the feat for scaling purposes will dishonestly represent the scene and ignore what I just pointed out, and push their own headcanon on an off panel occurrence instead of looking at the facts

Aegon Targaryen

The Shield That Guards The Realm of Men
The problem is that @Rin is pretermitting facts too.

Its very funny to me that Jiraiya stans are always lightning fast to argue that SM Jiraiya is "basically 3 Sages not just 1 sage" to hype the man but Ma and Pa and their contributions are entirely overlooked when Jiraiya and ONLY Jiraiya gets "weakened" and then the performance is totally attributed to JUST Jiraiya

For all we know, Ma and Pa CARRIED the dude in the later portions of the fight and Jiraiya was a fucking liability without his arm

Thats the issue with relying on off panel "scaling" to make a case

So with that said...Getting FURTHER into the meat here

He fights the whole formation sure but he fights less than half their fucking abilities :oldshrug

Konoha only gets intel on animal and preta paths Jutsu, and shared vision, and the fact the paths are basically puppets

Thats it

Meaning, he fought the "whole formation" wherein 4/6 of the Paths, including THE STRONGEST Path, were literally only providing shared vision and/or Taijutsu/Bukijutsu backup

And even then, with that MASSIVE fucking asterisk next to the phrase "whole formation"?

As you point out here...

The man nearly fucking dies doing even just that

So to answer your question on why people pretermit the feat?

They dont

The feats just not nearly as good as you would think at face value to people who think it through logically

And the Jiraiya stans who use the feat for scaling purposes will dishonestly represent the scene and ignore what I just pointed out, and push their own headcanon on an off panel occurrence instead of looking at the facts

:bury

Rin

Thats it

As you point out here...
I'm pretty sure you're misconcepting it. The fact that the information wasn't given is because Jiraiya couldn't understand the powers of Deva Path.

Kakashi himself can't understand the gravity properties of Deva Path that fast, he needs a good time analyzing and fighting the path. Are we arguing Deva Path never fought Kakashi too?

Thus, Jiraiya fought Deva, but couldn't understand his abilities. Only seeing Universal Pull after 2 chapters fighting Deva he can understand Deva's powers:

Also, why wouldn't Deva Path fight? Deva Path literally never does this, Nagato showed that he uses Deva even against the likes of Kakashi, why would he randomly not use it against Jiraiya that he truly respected?

And why are ye ignoring that Kakashi literally says Jiraiya fought the six of them? But let's say Deva didn't fight, even then, the feat remains to be something really notable.

If Jiraiya is able to fight 5 Paths (removing Deva), he's already absurdly above the credit that people give to him.
@Rin but jman stated just 3 paths alone would kill him? Does he get stronger without one arm or was the statement bogus?
Probably. Jiraiya's been making miscalculations the whole fight, he himself says he misconcepted Pain, thinking all of them had the same abilities.
Having knowledge on the fact that each one hold only one type of ability and shared vision, he could fight all of them and even take one of them down.

Aegon Targaryen

I'm pretty sure you're misconcepting it. The fact that the information wasn't given is because Jiraiya couldn't understand the powers of Deva Path.

Sounds like BS to me. Jiraiya fought Pain for quite a while, he had every opportunity and reason to figure out Yahiko Path's poweers.

Dude figured out the other Pain bodies' abilities quite quickly AND that they have separate abilities per body.

If he saw Yahiko Path randomly pushing or pulling someone, he'd KNOW Yahiko could do it. It's not rocket science.

Kakashi himself can't understand the gravity properties of Deva Path that fast, he needs a good time analyzing and fighting the path

Actually, he figured out the path's abilities pretty quickly.

It's countering their abilities that took a bit more time.

Are we arguing Deva Path never fought Kakashi too?

Unfortunately there's actual proof Kakashi fought that path. There's no proof Jiraiya did, in contrast. Bad comparison, as usual.

The manga also places a lot of importance on Kakashi being the one to get intel on Yahiko Path.

Thus, Jiraiya fought Deva

Nope.

but couldn't understand his abilities. Only seeing Universal Pull after 2 chapters fighting Deva he can understand Deva's powers:

Jiraiya fought Pain for about as long. Not an excuse, provided Pain DID use Yahiko Path.

Also, why wouldn't Deva Path fight? Deva Path literally never does this, Nagato showed that he uses Deva even against the likes of Kakashi, why would he randomly not use it against Jiraiya that he truly respected?

This argument makes no sense.

Yahiko Path was already alone when Kakashi went after him, why wouldn't Yahiko Path fight? :mjlol

Also, respect has nothing to do with it. Pain literally makes a point of hiding his abilities until or unless necessary against Jiraiya, so the real question is, why would he foolishly expose

And why are ye ignoring that Kakashi literally says Jiraiya fought the six of them?

Because Yahiko Path can still help through shared vision or chakra rod shenanigans even if he doesn't use his main abilities.

Besides, even the threat of Yahiko Path's participation (even if he doesn't do anything) is something Jiraiya needed to account for.

But let's say Deva didn't fight, even then, the feat remains to be something really notable.

If Jiraiya is able to fight 5 Paths (removing Deva), he's already absurdly above the credit that people give to him

More like ''survive'', actually, and he technically failed even at that.

Probably. Jiraiya's been making miscalculations the whole fight, he himself says he misconcepted Pain, thinking all of them had the same abilities.
Having knowledge on the fact that each one hold only one type of ability and shared vision, he could fight all of them and even take one of them down.

Actually, Jiraiya figured out that Pain had separate abilities per body very quickly in the fight. Shared vision too, actually.

Stop making things up :camby

Aegon Targaryen

The ''Pain respects Jiraiya'' argument is also dodgy. Pain is a secretive character, he's not going to sic his ultimate path's abilities on Jiraiya if he has FIVE others already challenging him. Kakashi's case is different as KAKASHI is the one that went after the (alone) Yahiko Path.

Besides, Pain respects Kakashi too, and he respected Jiraiya even before seeing SM (even stepping in personally to kill him). Still didn't stop Pain from only using ANIMAL PATH against Jiraiya, then using Human and Preta too, then finally siccing 5+ paths on him to kill him.

Kakashi himself can't understand the gravity properties of Deva Path that fast, he needs a good time analyzing and fighting the path. Are we arguing Deva Path never fought Kakashi too?

We never get any information as vague as a "blast wave with him as the epicenter" from Ma or Pa, which is a fair initial assessment of the powers at hand. Indicating they didn't see such a power.

And why are ye ignoring that Kakashi literally says Jiraiya fought the six of them? But let's say Deva didn't fight

Deva can fight without using the tendo powers.

Taijutsu and black rods.

Jiraiya's been making miscalculations the whole fight, he himself says he misconcepted Pain, thinking all of them had the same abilities.

He never said he thought they had the same abilities.

He always suspected one path = one abilty.

ShadowBlade77

Vagabond

:confusedjr
As hard as I try, I see no confrontation.

Again, where's the feat?

Funnily enough, even if you include the anime, Jiraiya does nothing of the sort:
1. He blocks a couple of punches from three lesser Paths (conveniently enough, they attack him one at the time, they don't try to coordinate their attacks of flank him);
2. He attempts to attack Tendo (who was conveniently just standing there watching), gets negged and ragdolled;
3. Asura shoots some rockets, Jiraiya runs away (conveniently enough, again, none of the other Paths try to contribute);
4. Tendo rips section of the wall, Jiraiya hides in the water (conveniently enough, none of the Paths try to pursue him, even though we later see Asura attacking Jiraiya from underwater, they just stand in place looking cool);
5. Ma and Pa snatch Animal Path into a barrier, Jiraiya lands a senjutsu-amped Rasengan, Animal Path lands in acid, and he still has enough life left in him to reemerge and stab Jiraiya (fucking Konohamaru was able to kill Naraka Path with a base Rasengan)

1. For all we know, all Jiraiya did was running away, evading attacks;
2. This level of destruction is well within the capabilities of Asura Path alone (as seen in the anime);

Kakashi was under the assumption that Jiraiya fought all six of them "at once" (which we never see), using their abilities to their fullest (which they didn't), and that all Paths were relative to Tendo and Asura (which they're not).

Using fan-fiction as an argument is usually frowned upon... unless it's about the Sannin, apparently.

All of that aside, the idea that an injured, weakened Jiraiya can put any kind of fight against all Six Paths is downright laughable, when a full strength Jiraiya's inability to beat 3 weaker Paths, without a conveniently handed asspull jutsu, is literally hammered by the narrative in form of Fukasaku and Jiraiya himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom