Who's the better main protagonist - Naruto or Deku?

Who's better?

• Dattebayo!

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • I Discovered Legs

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Adamant soul

Naruto simply because he actually was a pretty effective and likeable underdog protagonist for most of Part 1. He (and the story as a whole) only turns to shit once it hyper focuses on Sasuke.

Deku has a couple of moments early on but generally is just kind of shit.

Last edited:

jesusus

jiriaya-cozy.png
The author tried to make Deku a "unique" shonen MC in that he's not mentally defective musclehead. He's suppose to be a smart and meek underdog. But the author failed even that in trying to make Deku intelligent, he made him completely stupid without the nice excuse of being mentally challenged like all the other Shonen MC. This is infamously seen when Deku figures out that he can kick with his leg. :wellshite:facepalmed. There's no strategy in his fights. All of them involve "increasing OfA percentage to higher power level then my bones break but plot magic heals them later."

He also fails to make Deku seem like an underdog when he has All-Might's personal guidance and inherited powers. Along with retconning OfA to have 7 additional quirks. Deku falls flat personally for me, his character has little substance outside of being #1 hero and his rivalry with Bakugo is cartoonish as Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote. Except Road Runner doesn't try to kiss Wile E. Coyote's ass after Wile attempts to blow him up with several tons of TNT. While Bakugo is constantly an edgelord who told Deku to kill himself, yet Deku thinks he is a friend. Poor writing there.

Naruto is also a standard Shonen MC but more upfront about it. His obsession of Sasuke is forced down our throats, but his motive for becoming Hokage is decent as he wants to be acknowledged by the village he lives in. Naruto is a stomachable MC for most of the series until he started obsessing and hyperventilating over Sasuke angetting free plot powers up as the reincarnation of demi-gods. I prefer neither. But since I have nostalgia for part 1 Naruto, I'd choose him over Deku. His early P1 fights were interesting because he didn't have rasengan to spam yet.

Aegon Targaryen

King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men
Naruto simply he actually was a pretty effective and likeable underdog protagonist for most of Part 1. He (and the story as a whole) only turns to shit once it hyper focuses on Sasuke.

Deku has a couple of moments early on but generally is just kind of shit.

Agreed mostly, but I believe Deku isn't really shit so much as...not compelling. Naruto actually feels like an actual person with a genuine and compelling conflict a lot of the time, and as bad as Boruto is, it actually managed to make Naruto more human and relatable (at least IMO). He only sucks when it comes to Sasuke, as you said, and when he is really full of that over-optimistic crap like he was with Nagato, Itachi, and Obito.

DarkSlayerZero

Both suck(Naruto was good in pt 1). Deku is just the worst of the two, he was fun and interesting when he still growing as a character. Once 6 quirks happened, he became stall and boring.

Vandal Savage

Magician
Supporting Staff
Izuku embodies a lot of what I consider Naruto's worst qualities as a protagonist while having none of the upside. Naruto had higher highs and much lower lows as a character for me throughout the story, but I'd still consider him the better protagonist. The gap between them isn't that big at this point imo.

Aegon Targaryen

Izuku embodies a lot of what I consider Naruto's worst qualities as a protagonist while having none of the upside. Naruto had higher highs and much lower lows as a character for me throughout the story, but I'd still consider him the better protagonist. The gap between them isn't that big at this point imo.

Interesting. Mind elaborating?

Capa13

Banned
Naruto and it isn’t even close. Funny enough, Deku is more generic than Naruto. His struggles are minute compared to Naruto’s and nearly everything he does he succeeds at after the first season or two. He’s also a bitch and cries 24/7 over some stupid shit and his struggles and bounce backs from “despair” are nothing compared to Naruto’s.

TrueG 37

Honestly in certain respects even Izuku's version of tnj is worse. Dude straight up tries to talk to people in the middle of a fight:mjlol.

Aduro

Definitely not a villain.
I prefer to see Deku as a massive improvement on filler Naruto than a failed Naruto clone. But he doesn't measure up to canon Naruto.

Deku is a bit too over the top in the gags, like his emotional range needs a toned-down setting. Naruto had his highs and lows, but Kishi knew how to use silences, melancholy and occasionally could even make Naruto deadpan or stoic.
Deku's fights are less creative and tricky, and his purity makes him less compelling.

Aegon Targaryen

I prefer to see Deku as a massive improvement on filler Naruto than a failed Naruto clone. But he doesn't measure up to canon Naruto.

Deku is a bit too over the top in the gags, like his emotional range needs a toned-down setting. Naruto had his highs and lows, but Kishi knew how to use silences, melancholy and occasionally could even make Naruto deadpan or stoic.
Deku's fights are less creative and tricky, and his purity makes him less compelling.

Good points.

Top Bottom