• CC
    PotW is back with a special edition Happy Holidays!
    ~Deadline to enter is Monday, December the 19th at 9 PM UTC.

which captain had the best swordsmanship?

Sufex

The Ghost
This is excluding yamamoto, aizen

And in base/no reiatsu or hax. .eg

Last edited:

goombanthime

In terms of sheer skill with the blade Unohana should take it, even at the very start of her fight against Zaraki hecould somewhat push back, but what made the difference throughout the battle and allowed her to dominate after killing him so many time was her skill.
Plus her whole deal before healing was having mastered a massive numbers of fighting styles.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
Excluding Squad 0, Aizen and Yamamoto the list would go:
Zaraki (ask Unohana how she is doing if in doubt).
Unohana
Shunsui and Ukitake / Isshin and Urahara

Capa13

Excluding Squad 0, Aizen and Yamamoto the list would go:
Zaraki (ask Unohana how she is doing if in doubt).
Unohana
Shunsui and Ukitake / Isshin and Urahara
You should ask Zaraki how he was doing when Unohana was killing him hundreds of times over and over again.

Zaraki beat her due to sheer power, not because of his skills with the sword.

docj

i have returned
Zaraki was able to overpower Unohana in the end.

In pure Zanjutsu
Unohana
Shunsui
Isshin
Urahara
Ukitake
Byakuya
Hitsugaya
Shinji
Zaraki

Adamant soul

Unohana given she was supposed to have mastered every style of sword fighting, nobody else has that level of hype with regard to sheer sword skill.

Halibel

La Tres
A Zaraki before he released his full power.

What do you think skill with Zanjutsu is?
you have an odd idea of what "skill" means.

Kenpachi is quite literally one of if not the most unskilled sword user in the entire gotei 13. Only gaining his position not through knowledge and training with a sword, but through overwhelming power and force.

Kenpachi is the equivalent of giving a child strength of a 1000 crack heads a sword vs someone that has trained their whole life in swordsman ship. And saying the cracked out kid is skilled

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
you have an odd idea of what "skill" means.

Kenpachi is quite literally one of if not the most unskilled sword user in the entire gotei 13. Only gaining his position not through knowledge and training with a sword, but through overwhelming power and force.

Kenpachi is the equivalent of giving a child strength of a 1000 crack heads a sword vs someone that has trained their whole life in swordsman ship. And saying the cracked out kid is skilled
He beating a master of the sword, would require him to be the faster and stronger swordman. All he lacks is technique. And even so he has Kendo.

Capa13

A Zaraki before he released his full power.

What do you think skill with Zanjutsu is?
Zanjutsu is literally sword technique. It has nothing to do with raw power or release states. It’s simple raw Japanese style kendo.

Zaraki is a brute who utilizes brute strength and raw power to cut his way through opponents. Unohana is masterful at zanjutsu abd doesn’t just run around swinging for the kill, she meticulously targets certain parts of the body during fights and expertly can parting and counter attack her opponents whereas Zaraki just simple let’s them strike him as he doesn’t give a single fuck.

Sablés

It has nothing to do with raw power
I don't know where you picked up this nonsense but it isn't true.

Zanjutsu, as far as we know, is just aptitude with the sword. Unohana may be better than Zaraki in technical ability, but she is an inferior swordsman nonetheless. That's why she couldn't win in a sword fight.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference

Zanjutsu, as far as we know, is just aptitude with the sword. Unohana may be better than Zaraki in technical ability, but she is an inferior swordsman nonetheless. That's why she couldn't win in a sword fight.
Is rare to see ourselves agreeing with one another.

Goku

I would say Unohana is better in terms of expertise, but Zaraki is a stronger swordsman.

Capa13

Ahh yes the “she couldn’t win in a sword fight” garbage take.

So I ask you this, if you take the best NASCAR racer in the world and out then in a trade against an amateur racer except the amateur racer has an incredible brine twice as powerful, who do you think would win? I’ll tell you who would win, THE AMATEUR. Does that mean he’s a better driver than the other pro NASCAR driver!??

Outcome does not depict overall talent in battles/fights. It depicts overall power.

If outcome depicted talent with the sword then Ichigo is the best swordsman of all-time as he was fast enough and strong enough to strike and kill a literal near god with his sword which nobody else could have replicated so I guess 18 year old Ichigo is a better swordsman than 1000 year old shinigami who have spent a millennia practicing sword fighting.

Sablés

Ahh yes the “she couldn’t win in a sword fight” garbage take.

So I ask you this, if you take the best NASCAR racer in the world and out then in a trade against an amateur racer except the amateur racer has an incredible brine twice as powerful, who do you think would win? I’ll tell you who would win, THE AMATEUR. Does that mean he’s a better driver than the other pro NASCAR driver!??

Outcome does not depict overall talent in battles/fights. It depicts overall power.

If outcome depicted talent with the sword then Ichigo is the best swordsman of all-time as he was fast enough and strong enough to strike and kill a literal near god with his sword which nobody else could have replicated so I guess 18 year old Ichigo is a better swordsman than 1000 year old shinigami who have spent a millennia practicing sword fighting.
The fact that you have to employ some random analogy instead of using swordfighting outright suggests a false equivalence. Because the goals or both and the rules of both aren't the same.

Swordfighting is about who is stronger with the blade. Unohana can master all the styles she wants. In the end, her competence with the sword was lesser than Zaraki's overall. That's why she lost. Sucks but that's the truth. You're free to cope otherwise though.

Zeit

★★★★★
Non-equalised it's Zaraki without question. Might be rough and direct but it gets the job done.

Equalised it's Unohana followed by probably Byakuya.

Unohana by far... It was her whole motif. This would still include Yamamoto and Aizen.

Kenpachi was only really superior to her due to his overwhelming instincts and raw stats in battle.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
Non-equalised it's Zaraki without question. Might be rough and direct but it gets the job done.

Equalised it's Unohana followed by probably Byakuya.
I think Shunsui has better swordsmanship hype than Byakuya.

Divell

A Walking Jojo Reference
Hype doesn't necessarily mean anything, on panel Shunsui uses his zan abilities more than he ever uses actual swordsmanship.
True, but his abilities still require him to fight with a sword, Byakuya just stands around most of the time. Not to mention that even without any Shikai ability he did better against Robert than most Shinigami against their respective Quincy.

Top Bottom