• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.
  • The Feature "Collapsible Sections" was now added.
  • LL
    Check out The Lifestyle Lounge Short Stories Competition!
    Deadline is July 26th, 2021 midnight, UCT..
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

what helps with your anxiety?

ЯƎWO⅃ᖷ

I know for some of you, medication is the only thing that helps with anxiety.

I find that for me it's mainly working out, or watching things that give me good vibes.

A particular favorite for many years has been Gaki No Tsukai, and the Kiki series in particular:

Alita

Alita>You
I don't really get anxious but when I'm stressed things that help me alleviate it include...…

Swimming, listening to music, playing video games, watching anime, and reading my bible.

~M~

Do it for her
If you have an anxious mind, focusing on fitness and nutrition can direct that energy into a better you. The feeling often won't go away so it needs to be utilized towards your higher purpose.

savior2005

Staying busy (gym, anime/manga, work, hanging out etc), listening to music, comparing my life to those less fortunate than me (which show's how lucky and blessed I am)

I was told I feel unhappy and stressed out in my life because I concentrate on my mind and not my body, it's not that I don't excercise or eat properly (currently junk food clear for almost a month) it's that I prefer to use my mind and imagination to get satisfaction from life, not from physical pleasures, lately I don't even feel like eating tasty foods because I don't see the point... I'm not depressed, I'm just literally not seeing the point. People on this forum often joke about me obsessing over bugs and other "geeky" stuff but have you even for a moment thought that it's maybe perhaps not up to me? Even if I try to be more everyday practical person I feel... Wrong, I feel betrayed by myself. So then why don't I just indulge in all this and be extatic and happy all the time? Because even obsessions over things you truly love can end up becoming a prison. You start to define yourself based on your interests and passions not based off what kind of a human being you are, how you can interact with the lives of others and maybe share yours. No you become a mind. And a mind that feels without a body is nothing but a ghost, you stop feeling pleasures from simple (in your eyes) activities, everything that's not exciting or hard or challenging becomes a routine, a chore and who loves doing chores? It's a fine balance, keeping your mind and body happy, trying to be in the physical world as much as you are in your world of interests and passions.

So then what did I decide to do? Simple, there's a time for obsessions and there's a time for life, I'm still a closed off person who rather spent time improving a skill or hanging with one or very few pals than trying to be as active and "alive" as I should be according to all the advice givers. It's the whole business of being on the surface of everything, the moment you dig deep enough no matter for something you love or you really find fun YOU WILL ruin it and then ruin yourself.

Cheers.

Jim

Normal Person
You start to define yourself based on your interests and passions not based off what kind of a human being you are, how you can interact with the lives of others and maybe share yours. No you become a mind. And a mind that feels without a body is nothing but a ghost, you stop feeling pleasures from simple (in your eyes) activities, everything that's not exciting or hard or challenging becomes a routine, a chore and who loves doing chores? It's a fine balance, keeping your mind and body happy, trying to be in the physical world as much as you are in your world of interests and passions.
The who the what now?

Why are we defining who we are? Is it not normal to move onto other things if the activities that made you happy before no long do so? What am i missing here?

reiatsuflow

Seconded/thirded everybody who says exercise. That'll recalibrate you pretty quick.

You just have to be careful that it doesn't become a crutch. I've complained about people I know who crutch with drugs and you can fall into the same habit with exercise where if you don't have time to get in your exercise (or pot) then you get doubly anxious, because then it's not helping you get better, it's just becoming an extension of your anxiety.

ЯƎWO⅃ᖷ

have any of you been under general anesthesia? there are some really important tests i have to take which require being put under, followed by surgery at a later date (getting my gallbladder removed after years of putting it off).

and i find the concept of "giving up control" of yourself frightening

my anxious mind tells me it's very possible that i may never return to consciousness or that i may wake up midway through the testing/surgery. i know rationally there is a slim chance, but anxiety is too OP
The who the what now?

Why are we defining who we are? Is it not normal to move onto other things if the activities that made you happy before no long do so? What am i missing here?

i think he's saying don't lose yourself in your obsessions as this may have you ignoring other important parts of your life. all things in moderation.
petting my dogs

burning some grass

work out (tho i rarely do this nowadays)

i need a pet. i haven't had one in years.

reiatsuflow

have any of you been under general anesthesia? there are some really important tests i have to take which require being put under, followed by surgery at a later date (getting my gallbladder removed after years of putting it off).

and i find the concept of "giving up control" of yourself frightening

my anxious mind tells me it's very possible that i may never return to consciousness or that i may wake up midway through the testing/surgery. i know rationally there is a slim chance, but anxiety is too OP

afaik everybody is anxious about surgery.

And there's nothing you can do about it, so just be anxious as you go through the surgery

:kanyeshrug

The who the what now?

Sooner or later you'd have tasted everything, at which point life loses all meaning. One of the downfalls that come with the concept of immortality. To find something enjoyable or fun you need to be invested in it and some people get invested more than others. I've been guilty of falling down the rabbit hole of obsessing over a single topic/interest several times and it's hard to get out. If you want to be good at something, to excel at something you need to be passionate or obsessed with it.

Then again I am in no position to say everyone is like this or has to be like this.

Jim

Normal Person
Sooner or later you'd have tasted everything, at which point life loses all meaning. One of the downfalls that come with the concept of immortality. To find something enjoyable or fun you need to be invested in it and some people get invested more than others. I've been guilty of falling down the rabbit hole of obsessing over a single topic/interest several times and it's hard to get out. If you want to be good at something, to excel at something you need to be passionate or obsessed with it.

Then again I am in no position to say everyone is like this or has to be like this.
I'm not sure, there's games i occasionally go back to like on nintendo or sega genesis and i still like it, sometimes even moreso than when i was a kid. Within 10 years time i nearly forget completely the plot of any shows or movies i've watched and i watch it again if i remember to. If it's job related, sure it's often not easy to find a job you genuinely enjoy but you get paid to do it. Whether or not i excel at something never really mattered to me.

I'm not sure, there's games i occasionally go back to like on nintendo or sega genesis and i still like it, sometimes even moreso than when i was a kid. Within 10 years time i nearly forget completely the plot of any shows or movies i've watched and i watch it again if i remember to. If it's job related, sure it's often not easy to find a job you genuinely enjoy but you get paid to do it. Whether or not i excel at something never really mattered to me.
Interests are not confined to fandoms though, liking a movie and getting tired of it is one thing, literally obsessing over a whole topic for over a decade is another thing entirely.

Jobs and interests shouldn't go together if you ask me, one ruins the other. You can work what's best for you mentally and financially but your interests start after the work hours. You can of course make a career in both, for example working as a lawyer to achieve success and hiking in the forest to describe new small species to achieve personal recognition. One does not interfere with the other nor should it.

Jim

Normal Person
I'm still not sure why you're viewing things that make you happy for an extended period of time an evil inevitability though. I obsessed over sc1 and even WoW for a long time, not sure how long but possibly more than a decade each and I found probably say they defined me.

I would try to talk to people about them and bring them into the games too and sometimes I did.

I stopped playing sc1 in favor of WoW (war3 didn't interest me) and I hopped from guild to guild until I started raiding with some guilds. After my cata raid guild disbanded I quit the game. No hard feelings about it really and I stopped talking about each game respectively the moment I stopped playing them

It's not like I got bored of them. If I go back to those games I'll enjoy them as if I didn't skip a beat. I don't regret the time playing them nor does it matter to me what people thought of me as I played them. I enjoyed the games and the time I spent on them. I reflect on that time fondly.

selfconcile

In the past I used guided relaxation audio. Mine was basically 10 minutes of someone directing you to tense up and then relax your muscles in sequence, at a certain intensity, for a certain duration. By focusing on the feeling of relaxation, getting familiar with it, and practicing how to get there, you should ideally be able to make your muscles relax without audio at ease... and have the mind follow.

It sounds like a good life skill, though I'm not sure I've gotten to that point or not.

Worm Juice

Braphog
A month or two ago I realized the moments I get angry and everything starts screaming in loops in my head is sorta anxiety driven. The 5-4-3-2-1 grounding technique was very effective at that moment.

Xel

Daedric Prince of Derp AI
Tbh, casually chatting with people irl helps me the most probably. Irl because I'm quite expressive and emote a lot and it helps let out energy I guess.

Keishin

Completing the shit that causes me anxiety releases endorphins
Once I'm done with shit ton of stuff I got lined up to do now I will start exercising fosho thats goated

Top Bottom