• The Feature "Collapsible Sections" was now added.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Was Neji done dirty in part 2 or was just overrated?

bil02

Neji used to be called a genius in part 1 and the strongest Konoha Genin.
In part 2,he not only lost relevance(as the rest of the rookies) but he also seemed to lose everything that made him a one generational talent.

Neji was promoted Jounin which prompted many to believe he was probably still around Sasuke,Naruto and Gaara's level.
But when we actually got to see feats; it turned out The 3 above far outclassed him in power.

Was Neji really done dirty and nerfed by Kishi or was his potential ceiling always overrated?

Thoughts?

HollowArrow123

He wasn't nerfed just became an unimportant Naruto Character in part 2. His skill set was going to pull him so far imo but also after part 1 I guess they couldn't add a relevant story to him in part 2.

Raiha

As much as most support cast in P2. The early parts still had some development for Ino-Shika-Cho but after this it was the Naruto/Sasuke show mainly on the good guys side.

blueWaves

I think Neji's skillset could only take him so far. He's primarily a close range fighter with some mid range techniques. Many characters had long range abilities (Deidara, Sasuke, Pain, Orochimaru, Konan, Killer Bee etc.) while close ranger fighters had more raw strength/speed/durability (Naruto, Tsunade, Sakura, Guy A3, A4 etc.) or really, a combination of both.

As a character, his arc was finished in part 1. Well, Kishi could have shown how the Hyuga clan was fixed (ie Branch members no having those curse marks), but of course it wasn't important enough.

Last edited:

Final Fantasy

I think he was done dirty, his growth rate is so inferior to Sasuke in part 2 it's ridiculous. This is strange considering he learned the main houses taijutsu even though no one taught those techniques. With a teacher his growth should have been phenomenal.

Young Lord Minato

Don't stan, just fan
He suffered the same fate as most of the characters; he was sidelined and the focus revolved mostly on Team 7. I do believe he was done dirty when it comes to his death; noble as it was, it was also unnecessary emotional manipulation and a cheap way of killing a character like Neji.

Arthas

Anko's Lover
My Answer : He progressed as much as could be expected but just not as much as Gaara, Sasuke, and Naruto.

The above is simply the truth.

The fact is that people look at Neji and Rock Lee in Part 1 and think that just because they were on par with Sasuke & Naruto at that point then they should be on par with them in Part Two or even close to them.

That does not make any sense at all.

Facts :
  1. Neji and Lee are 1 year older then Naruto and Sasuke.
    • This means they have more mission experience then Team 7.
      • Neji has 20 D-Ranks and 11 C-Ranks,
      • Team 7 has 7 D-Ranks and 1 C-Rank (which they were not supposed to go on.)
    • This means they have had 1 year more training then Sasuke and Naruto and according to the Sandaime in Chaapter 65 a shinobi's true strength is only born through life risking battle (missions) which they also went on.
    • Imagine Lee who is fresh or at most 3 months from Academy and has yet to learn gates from Gai or achieve full speed.
    • Imagine Neji with out Kaiten and/or 64-Strikes at least and much lower stats.
  2. Neji in particular has had much better training then Sasuke and Naruto for most of his life.
    • Naruto had academy traininng at best. Sasuke a quick session on grand fireball from his father.
    • Neji would be receiving Jyuuken training from his clan through out. (All Hyuuga get normal Jyuuken training, it's only a few special jutsu that are marked main family only.)
Consider the above advantages and realise that Naruto aand Sasuke were on par with Neji and Lee in a few months from graduation.

Give Naruto and Sasuke another 3 months after Chuunin exams and they would surpass Neji and Lee completely.

That was the progression speed of the Characters when they were introduced in Part 1.

Now consider what happened during the Timeskip:

Sasuke and Naruto got SANNIN teachers. Neji at best got Hiyashi. Lee remained with Gai.

Neji also had already figured out the Unique Head-Family Jutsus, so not that much of a boost for him.

To put it simply Sasuke & Naruto's growth speed woulld increase even further under better teachers while Neji's would at best increase slightly.

Next I would ask you all to consider the World Setting / Context :

Putting Main Characters like Naruto and Sasuke aside (as ordinary logic does not work on/with Main Characters), let's examine the world setting.

Neji & Lee are talented geniuses in your eyes.

Here's a thing though: So are Kakashi and Gai. So is EVERY Kage. You could argue that most Jounin have some level of talent too.

AND

Kakashi, Gai and the Kages well they are not JUST geniuses, they are geniuses with decades of EXPERIENCE and TRAINING.

The idea of Neji and Lee being close to them while being 18 or so is laughable in my eyes.

It's one thing to buy that 2 teens (Naruto and Sasuke) are stronger then them because of special heritage + being gifted with power but if all or even half the K11 even reach near that level at 17 without that heritage/gift? Then the title of Kage turns into a ridiculous joke. Heck having all of them being Jounin would be a though stretch.

In my view Neji and Lee should be regarded as a younger version of (No-Sharingan) Kakashi and Gai. If you take the view that the younger generation should be stronger then the older generation then it should go something like this:-

18 Year Old Kakashi & Gai < 18 Year Old Neji & Lee < 20 Year Old Kakashi & Gai < 20 Year Old Neji & Lee

etc.

Remember Kakashi and Gai? Those guys are geniuses too and in my view have far more experience.

Also, in regards to the world setting :- Naruto being super strong was spelled out from the start of the manga.

The simplest fact is that Naruto not only has a demon but the strongest demon sealed in his belly. From the very start it was stated that particular demon could take on a whole village. Once Naruto started getting a grip on that power? Well he became a guy who could take on a whole village as well. That includes all the regular genius characters in a village like Neji etc...

Sasuke meanwhile due to rival/enemy status had to match Naruto.

Now comes the rub in terms of secondary characters and other clans. If Naruto the guy with a village threatening demon in his belly can be challenged by multiple "regular" guys then why does anyone bother with a Jinchuriki ? Same with there being multiple clans potentially being able to match a Biju's power...Heck why are they feared and isolated? To put it simply, if being a Jinchuriki has to have any meaning then Naruto had to be on a village destroying level that almost everyone else could not match. So Neji, Shino, Lee...well they get left behind.

Subtle

Wasted potential,

Neji could still have greatly improved his skills and elevated his clans presence by illustrating knew techniques/skills, he learned high level (Hyuga) jutsu at a young age, there's no doubt he could have still grown tremendously if Part 2 wasn't more Uchiha focused which allowed characters like Neji to be discarded so easily.

could have showcased him during the pain invasion, but that didn't happen.
aside from that i don't really see where or when he's meant to get screen time outside the war.

Final Fantasy

@Arthas

I don't agree that Neji had better training his whole life. If you look at Hinata's and Hanabi's situation they learned from solely from their dad. When Hinata was shown not to be a good enough to be clan leader he stopped teaching her. She wasn't shown with another Hyuga teacher again, IIRC, so she probably didn't have one. Neji dad died, so he couldn't teach him more than he already taught him.

Neji might have went on more life-risking battles, but how that exactly that shows up as far as concrete skills is concerned is unclear.

The only one who couldn't become Kage level out of Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Lee and Gaara, at a young age was Neji. Sure Naruto had the 9 tails and Sasuke had the sharingan, however that didn't stop Lee and Gaara from being kage level. Lee has the 6th gate and Gaara even without his Biju was kage level.

Sequester

Not There
byakugan in general was done dirty if you ask me

pretty anticlimactic for one of the things that descend from super powered god aliens

neji was built as genius gifted with these space eyes but both fell flat

OrlandoSky

byakugan in general was done dirty if you ask me

pretty anticlimactic for one of the things that descend from super powered god aliens

neji was built as genius gifted with these space eyes but both fell flat
off-topic but what's that anime in your signature?

Arthas

Anko's Lover
@Arthas

I don't agree that Neji had better training his whole life. If you look at Hinata's and Hanabi's situation they learned from solely from their dad. When Hinata was shown not to be a good enough to be clan leader he stopped teaching her. She wasn't shown with another Hyuga teacher again, IIRC, so she probably didn't have one. Neji dad died, so he couldn't teach him more than he already taught him.

Neji might have went on more life-risking battles, but how that exactly that shows up as far as concrete skills is concerned is unclear.

The only one who couldn't become Kage level out of Naruto, Sasuke, Neji, Lee and Gaara, at a young age was Neji. Sure Naruto had the 9 tails and Sasuke had the sharingan, however that didn't stop Lee and Gaara from being kage level. Lee has the 6th gate and Gaara even without his Biju was kage level.

Neji had better training in relation to Sasuke and Naruto.

Naruto had Iruka at best and dis-interested academy teachers at worst.

Sasuke meanwhile had one good fireball lesson from his father and no lessons at all from his clan (including Itachi who was always too busy). After that his whole clan was massacred so he had only academy teachers.

Neji meanwhile would have been learning Jyuuken (the Hyuuga fighting style) from his fellow Hyuuga clan members.

Now those members might not be from the main branch and would not know the main branch jutsu but that would not be a problem for an academy student or even most gennin.

Incidentally the same thing would apply for Hinata. Just because her father stopped training her, does not mean that the Hyuuga clan stopped. She might not have access to the top-tier masters of Jyuuken but she would have access to teachers.

Final Fantasy

It's unknown how good Sasuke's academy teachers were and even if we assume that Neji was taught by another Hyuga, he or she could have been a horrible teacher or an below average teacher.

bil02

It can also be noted that being a Jounin in part 2 doesn't really mean shit in the grand scheme of things anymore when we are dealing with Kages and Akatsuki.

Neji being a Jounin in rank didn't really tell us how he compared to Naruto or Sasuke who were well above Generic Jounin levEl.
Unless Neji was at Gai or Kakashi level at Bos,he was always condemned to be well behind Naruto,Sasuke or Gaara.

Alita

Alita>You
He was done very dirty in part 2 like almost all of the konoha 12. Kishi just didn't give a shit anymore.

BigPoppaPump

Post timeskip Naruto just became about Senju/Uchiha everyone else became unimportant. Pre TS Kishimoto used the support characters so well but in part 2 should've just been called 'Sasuke' instead.

Arthas

Anko's Lover
It's unknown how good Sasuke's academy teachers were and even if we assume that Neji was taught by another Hyuga, he or she could have been a horrible teacher or an below average teacher.

I tend to assume both were simply average as a baseline as we do not have evidence to the contrary.

Remember Naruto, Sasuke and Neji would pretty much have the same teachers at the academy.

At best those academy teachers would pay more attention to Sasuke & Neji due to both being genius ninjas from famous clans but I don't think any took those two under their wing and gave them extra guidance.

Suigetsu

Best Ningen
Yes, Neji was done dirty. And all because of Hinata's fans obsession for her to get Naruto at the fucking spot. I dont even know why Kishimoto had to wack Neji for it, it was unnecesary. It should had been Gai sacrificing himself for his student to show that he was a father mentor not just to Lee but to all of his team.

If people wanted Naruhina end, killing Neji was not necessary. If Neji had lived, Naruto could have hanged out with him and thus hang out with Hinata more and gotten to know each other gradualy until they start to date. No need for shit movie either.

blueWaves

I know the talk is about Neji, but he as well as Lee were done dirty in Part 2.

All they did is fight 30% Kisame clone and clones of themselves

Off screen for the next 150ish chapters

Come back when Pain destroyed the village

Lee was apart of the team to take out Sasuke, got knocked out.

War arc starts, Neji was used as a gag moment with him and Kiba. Lee fought against Haku for a couple of panels. Juubi is revived, Neji dies as cupid per Kishimoto's words. Lee gets to bisect Edo Madara, be part of friendship Rasengan, help Guy against Madara, and that's it.

They went from beloved supporting characters to well, fans who no longer cared for them (and Kishi as well).

I really wish we got an actual Lee vs Neji fight.

Milliardo

Guy that's been here too long
Neji didn't do much of anything in part two.. He was basically like wallpaper. Hell Shikamaru got do more and he was no where near as interesting as Neji was. The author just had a hard on for Shikamaru similar to Itachi but not that bad for Shik.

I was tired of Neji fighting Hyguas too. He fought himself and Hinata that was a enough... He should have got a solo battle with one of the Ataksuki. Hell, I don't remember him doing much to Kisame when team gai fought him.

Definitely got done dirty no doubt. Boring characters got more action than him.

blueWaves

Neji didn't do much of anything in part two.. He was basically like wallpaper. Hell Shikamaru got do more and he was no where near as interesting as Neji was. The author just had a hard on for Shikamaru similar to Itachi but not that bad for Shik.

I was tired of Neji fighting Hyguas too. He fought himself and Hinata that was a enough... He should have got a solo battle with one of the Ataksuki. Hell, I don't remember him doing much to Kisame when team gai fought him.

Definitely got done dirty no doubt. Boring characters got more action than him.

As much as I would love to see Neji fighting against the Akatsuki, he would lose hard.

Other than Hidan, every member would kill him pretty easily. the Hyuga's should have had something equivalent to MS.

Hokage Sheperd

He was the top student of the academy before Sasuke and part of the Hyuga one of the top clans. Every other top student became a legendary ninja while Neji died a lowly Jounin. That just isn't fair to him, imo.

Top Bottom