The Word 'Islam'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to make some members understand the word Islam.
the word islam is a RELIGION not a CULTURE not some kind of tribe or cult (lol)

what is a religion?

a religion, a god where many belive in and messengers where we follow. and no matter what others sayt its something you have to handle. its like christianty judasim budhasim .. etc we are all equal .. so stop this foolish argument or war even, who cvares who started it .. who cares what others think. ofcourse there are some people who make something look bad and then the people think it IS bad. but they havent seen anything else exept the bad side. if you go to a super market and buy something out of date .. would you think the supermarket is overall bad because of this one thing? no. you wouldnt because you havent seen the other products have you?

thats just an example^

seriously, if your still confused about islam or dont understand a few things why dont you just research or even better than the internet (with some false facts :p ) you could ask a muslim yourself. like me :)

Sorry, Islam is also a culture.

Islam has fused itself with the societies of most of the Middle East, Northern Africa, Central Asia, and Southeast Asia. It has developed its own culture due to the fact it dominates basically all of the said countries.

The book The Arabs by David Lamb quotes a passage about this:

"Around here, it is impossible to escape Islam even if we wanted to".

Well, I definately agree with the OP. No doubt it is a religion. I'm not quite sure though about the culture.... It is just the middle east's culture is MOST influenced by the Qu'ran.

originally posted by MH

Islam has fused itself with the societies of most of the Middle East, Northern Africa, Central Asia, and Southeast Asia. It has developed its own culture due to the fact it dominates basically all of the said countries.

Islam is not a culture it is a religon. Culture is one of those words with a very broad meaning. Islam is part of a given peoples culture but not the culture itself. You are right in saying it is a dominant factor in the culture of the areas islam is dominant in, but those areas differ greatly from one another. For example language food customs hospitality etc..

To me, I find it that Islam is a religion. A religion that has quite a bit of power over different cultures, but otherwise wouldn't be an entire culture on its own.

Indonesian (the country where there are the most Muslims if I did my eighth grade Social Studies research correctly) culture is different from Middle Eastern (of which >90% of its people are Muslim) culture.

Yeah, it can be said that religion is a culture. Actually, if a religion is the basis for the society of an area (the Middle Eastern Countries, for example) that religion takes on the role of the culture.

If anyone wants to know about culture, just go here...

Megaharrison said:

Now iam sorry, but your wrong there^

Islam is a religion NOT a culture, you can be an european and belive in islam you could be anything to be a muslim! a culture is like the arab world. ARABS ARE NOT ALL MUSLIMS some are infacts jews or christians! i know this ofcourse because iam an arab, ISLAM HASNT TAKEN OVER THESE CULTURES TO BE COME A CULTURE the cutlure belived in islam. :amuse

muslims rules
allah rules
FIVE PIILARS OF THE ISLAM

1. SHAHADA : say always I bearwitness there is no god Besides Allah and HE has no partners (in arabic language of course)

2. SALAT : pray 6 times per day to allah (some people say its 5 but its 6 times)

3. RAMADAN : fasting for 1 month from sun up to sun down

4. ZAKAT : when you are grown up give the poor people money. If you want to get help then you shoud help others too

5. HAJJ : travel to the sacred Masjid in Mecca and then you have to do things which i'm too lazy to write them down

MUHAMMAD ALI IS MUSLIM AND HE'S THE GREATEST

Last edited:
Pineapple Nutty said:
Now iam sorry, but your wrong there^

Islam is a religion NOT a culture, you can be an european and belive in islam you could be anything to be a muslim! a culture is like the arab world. ARABS ARE NOT ALL MUSLIMS some are infacts jews or christians! i know this ofcourse because iam an arab, ISLAM HASNT TAKEN OVER THESE CULTURES TO BE COME A CULTURE the cutlure belived in islam. :amuse

I think they meant culture as in, a group of people who identify with each other. Culture can be found any where and can even constitute the private jokes between friends as part of the language of that culture.

But I can safely be ignored. Carry on. :laugh

Akatsuki Bozz said:
muslims rules
allah rules
FIVE PIILARS OF THE ISLAM

1. SHAHADA : say always I bearwitness there is no god Besides Allah and HE has no partners (in arabic language of course)

2. SALAT : pray 6 times per day to allah (some people say its 5 but its 6 times)

3. RAMADAN : fasting for 1 month from sun up to sun down

4. ZAKAT : when you are grown up give the poor people money. If you want to get help then you shoud help others too

5. HAJJ : travel to the sacred Masjid in Mecca and then you have to do things which i'm too lazy to write them down

MUHAMMAD ALI IS MUSLIM AND HE'S THE GREATEST

you muslim?

6 times ?!

I dont know what you are talkin about man...^-^
What makes you think its 6 times?

yes i'm muslim

and its 6 times
they're 2 times in the morning which are counted as 1 from the most people

EDIT: yea, you can say its five times but its still six times all together.
those who are praying five times per day are praying six times per day cause those two salat in the morning are both short and so the most count them as one.

Akatsuki Bozz said:
yes i'm muslim

and its 6 times
they're 2 times in the morning which are counted as 1 from the most people

EDIT: yea, you can say its five times but its still six times all together.
those who are praying five times per day are praying six times per day cause those two salat in the morning are both short and so the most count them as one.

hmm yes that tue, but its simply 5 times :p

oh and if you didnt know iam muslim too :D

the land where i come from has a lot of culture

~~~ M a g h r e b ~~~ land of the beatiful hot sun

PS: maghreb is the name of our land in our language (maghreb = morocco)

Pineapple Nutty said:
should it? im not debating just sharing my veiws to people in what people think .. ok fine just realised this should be in debate :laugh

It sounds an awful like people are debating...

Continue doing whatever, though... I am not going to stop you...

Are you counting Witr prayer as the sixth time?

It's five prescribed times, that is to say they are the obligatory prayers. Islam is a religion, people adapt it into their own cultures. Doing it the other way around that is to say adapting culture into Islam is wrong though.

Megaharrison said:
Technically yes, Islam is a culture just like Christianity and Judaism. Just like a football match and just like destruction derby.
What the thread starter is aiming at, i understand. However Islam is simply ~"a shared and negotiated system of meaning by a group of people" which happens to be the definition of Culture.

Megaharrison said:
Islam has fused itself with the societies of most of the Middle East, Northern Africa, Central Asia, and Southeast Asia.
Islam the religion is supposed to dominate the state if the state is to be called an 'Islamic state'. "The religion fusing with society (i.e. culture / tradition)? does not mean that the result is 'Islam'. The result is a 'culture'.

Megaharrison said:
It has developed its own culture due to the fact it dominates basically all of the said countries
That does not make sense, how can you claim that 'Islam (the culture)' developed a(another) culture, due to its fusion with different societies? Is that even logical? The 'creation of a new culture' would be the fusion of original culture and the new one. People in Pakistan and People in Morocco are both "Muslims", but their "Islamic"-culture is different because their original was different.

Megaharrison said:
By 'escape Islam' he either means finding his own norms and expectations on Muslim land... There is 'nothing strange about a land, but the people who visit it~ some anthropologist'. His notion is 'not smart'.
Or he means Islam is 'evil' and cannot be escaped, of course depending on the period he wrote the book and on which state, also taking into account how badly the 'double cultured' "Islam" (say KSA where the religious people think woman riding cars is a sin) is executed (which still is the comparison of his own norms to the other).

In either case, Islam the original / un molested culture is not applied any where on earth today. Applying the original culture would reverse the stagnant / reactionary position the Muslims are in, in this world. The closest (yet very far from my perspective) would be Iran.

I believe Islam is not a religion. A religion is a hierarchy of control through various institutions, with many rituals added on. Islam is a spiritual way of life, you dont need to dress a certain way, you dont need to grow a messy beard, you dont need to make women cover their hair, you dont need to speak Arabic, you dont need churches or priests ('imams') to follow, you dont need to pray 5 times a day in the 'direction' of a spot in a country called Saudi Arabia. (the world is ROUND people, you're praying into outer space...)

You just have to use one book as a guide, to be a decent and compassionate person, to believe in One God, to not worship any idols (hmm, like for example: Jesus and Muhammad) and know that you will be judged for every choice you make in life.

I agree Islam is not a culture, but I dont believe its a religion either, not the core essence of Islam as delivered via the Quran. Many sects of Islam (sunni, shiaa, wahabi, etc, etc) have invented rules and laws and claim that God wanted it so, and have turned Islam into something its not, but I guess thats a diferent debate.

Just what I believe anyway. ya'll. :)

No Islam is not a culture, it's a belief system or religion, people that practice it may have a specific culture to go around with to, to adapt to it's teachings, but Islam it's self is NOT.

beatnik said:
I believe Islam is not a religion.
Yes it is! The second largest on earth.

Beatnik said:
A religion is a hierarchy of control through various institutions, with many rituals added on.
No, a religion is: Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

Beatnik said:
Islam is a spiritual way of life, you dont need to dress a certain way, you dont need to grow a messy beard, you dont need to make women cover their hair, you dont need to speak Arabic, you dont need churches or priests ('imams') to follow, you dont need to pray 5 times a day in the 'direction' of a spot in a country called Saudi Arabia. (the world is ROUND people, you're praying into outer space...)
Ironically, i agree to some extent to all this. However you obviously have a great deal of misconceptions but the message is clear. Islam is the book, not your opinion! Praying in the direction of the Mecca is a symbol, praying itself is a symbol, going to church *insert any other illogical activity which will yield nothing tangible*. The 'woman and the beard' are idiotic; any one who tries and enforce them should be shot on sight for he is a dogmatic idiot.
And no, the religion itself is open for all the people on earth (of course you don't have to speak Arabic... but you may need to learn how to read it if you want to read the book itself).

Narutonoor said:
No Islam is not a culture, it's a belief system or religion, people that practice it may have a specific culture to go around with to, to adapt to it's teachings, but Islam it's self is NOT.
It's a culture.
if you wish i can explain to you why it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom