• LL
    Voting is live in The LifeStyle Lounge-Animal Photo Contest!
    The poll closes on Dec 1, 2021 at 2:06 AM UTC.
  • It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.

The Wheel of Time

Brian

          
Season 2 is already in production. If they’re going with the “adapt 2 books per season” route, then we should be getting Dumais Wells as the end of season 3

Could be a season 4 thing for Dumai's Well, cause I can see S2 ending book 3 and S3 composing of books 4-5, Dumai's Well could be lumped in the same season with a Crown of Swords

Lasker

I am more and more optimistic about the show. This looks quite good.
Non spoilerish comment on the video please.

Lasker

More and more optimistic was I saying ? I am fully hyped !

Some interesting stuff around 1'45 at the right of the video in the 360° format. ;)

without the 360°

Brian

          

More and more optimistic was I saying ? I am fully hyped !

Some interesting stuff around 1'45 at the right of the video in the 360° format. ;)

without the 360°

The Children of the Light are burning Aes Sedais? :monkaSlooks awesome

~Avant~

Eveningstar
I think two books a season is fair. Especially when it comes to Perrin’s storyline, since a lot of it is just meandering in Emonds Field.

Honestly when you take away the plot line and dialogue, the reason the books are so thick is because of all the descriptions and details, which the show can just do visually.

Lasker

Light ! It was good. I'm sold.

My main issue is that I think that one scene is extremely rushed. So rushed that it does not quite work and it got me a bit out of the movie. Anyway it is a little bit fixed by having the first few episodes released together.

My main compliment is for the cast. The cast is very good and the characters are spot on. They know what they are doing. And you can see the main characters slowly being build up, they take times for it (which makes the above rushed scene even more strange !). A pleasure to see when you know the story.

Nyneave is perfect. Maybe the weakest is Lan, but, well, it's Lan.

Well, I am not a huge tv serie consumer, so take it with a grain of salt, I do not have many references to compare with. I am sure there will be some critics. Maybe some scenes are overdramatic ? I do not want to give you too much hopes.

For the book fans, it looks excellent to me*. I hope it will also please the show-only viewers: this is what will matter.

Lasker

Few hours left !!

Please do not forget the spoilers tags when discussing the latest released episode.

I do not know if there is a spoiler policy to be used in this section to stay consistent among all the threads of the section, or what is from experience the best spoiler policy to use ?

For Book spoilers, I think we should try to mention the book number being spoiled. But the main focus in this thread should be the TV show.

Brian

          
That was pretty good, a little rushed in the first episode but this is a hard book to adapt. I didn't expect them to give Perrin added trauma from the get go, but I went back and watched that scene his wife was holding a weapon over him, was she a Darkfriend? :monkathink the wolves were attacking her in his dream too.

also regarding Rand and Tam

Spoiler:
I didn't like that Tam didn't mention anything about Rand's true birth, I know it will most likely be mentioned later on but Rand appears even more dickish in ep 2 without that weighing on his mind

Episode 3 was my favorite since it was more slower pace, the darkfriend Dana creeped me out when she mentioned Egwene's name. and i'm glad the gleeman is joining them.

Nyneave is perfect.

Zoe's performance is surprisingly my favorite one so far

Nic

Really happy with the show so far. There are a few deviations but nothing drastic. Definitely cannot wait to see Logan in action. Also quite clear they are only covering the first book ONLY with this season. Despite no Baerlon and Caemlyn at least they mention them.

Last edited:

~Avant~

Eveningstar
The Trollocs were always my biggest concern. Didn’t think they could be adapted well enough, but man, they knocked them out of the park. Would rather face an Orc than one of them.

Brian

          

Brandon Sanderson giving his thoughts and explained what he disagreed with Rafe about, mainly the Perrin's wife thing. I do like Brandon's alternative, that would make it easier for the writers when it comes to Perrin.

Lasker

Brandon Sanderson giving his thoughts and explained what he disagreed with Rafe about, mainly the Perrin's wife thing. I do like Brandon's alternative, that would make it easier for the writers when it comes to Perrin.
Yes indeed it would have been a nice alternative. Your Darkfriend idea is possible also, she does seem to be ready to strike.
I was thinking that maybe
Spoiler: book spoiler
it might be use by the showrunner as a setup to create a fake connection between Perrin and Lews : both killed their wife in a moment of madness, albeit different. So if Perrin learns about Lews story it could give him even more food for thought. Same for the viewers also: 'is this is a hint that Perrin is the Dragon Rebord ?". Maybe way too far-fetched.

Again, I find the casting excellent. Nyneave shouting at the Trolloc was a pleasure to watch. Mat also is extremely well casted.
I did not like the "rumor of 4 Ta'averen.." part. How can such a rumor even start ? What kind of events happened ? Anyway, maybe it will be explained.
But my main issue is the end of Episode 1:
Spoiler:
Way too fast, there is almost no comment on the news of the century, and everyone follows Moiraine on the spot. Their family seem ok with it, we do not even see a goodbye. I understand the urgency of the situation, but still I find it unbelievable. It should have been done better.
Layla isn't even buried, is she ?!!

also regarding Rand and Tam

Spoiler:
I didn't like that Tam didn't mention anything about Rand's true birth, I know it will most likely be mentioned later on but Rand appears even more dickish in ep 2 without that weighing on his mind
Yes, it is part of the rushed ending of episode 1. We do not have the Flame and Void discussion either. I kind of understand those changes, as this would give too much hints to the Dragon identity. Which is THE mystery of the serie. Reading some non-reader people assumption, the mystery seems well kept, some bet on Mat, some on Rand, some on Egwene, some on Perrin.
Maybe we will get those missing scene through flashback ?

We do have Tam's teaching and philosophy, and we see it in ep3 that Rand has learned it well. Very nice to have.
Spoiler: book12+ spoiler
As it is a good way to setup the wonderful Vein of Gold chapter. Jordan was using a lot of foreshadowing, and seeing this kind of foreshadowing/setup this early in the show is marvelous.

Moiraine discussion with the Whitecloaks was quite intense!

Have you seen the 3min animated bonus video ? I particularly liked the first two.

Nic

I remember the fandom being worried that they would turn the series into something YA. The show has gone a lot darker than i expected. but I like it so i don't mind it, and dark themes have been more popular recently.

Brian

          
Yes indeed it would have been a nice alternative. Your Darkfriend idea is possible also, she does seem to be ready to strike.
I was thinking that maybe
it might be use by the showrunner as a setup to create a fake connection between Perrin and Lews : both killed their wife in a moment of madness, albeit different. So if Perrin learns about Lews story it could give him even more food for thought. Same for the viewers also: 'is this is a hint that Perrin is the Dragon Rebord ?". Maybe way too far-fetched.

Spoiler:
Thats a good idea to keep up the mystery, I was also thinking that Padin Fain knew about her if she was a darkfriend and this could set up the future battle between the two in the Two Rivers.

Again, I find the casting excellent. Nyneave shouting at the Trolloc was a pleasure to watch. Mat also is extremely well casted.
I did not like the "rumor of 4 Ta'averen.." part. How can such a rumor even start ? What kind of events happened ? Anyway, maybe it will be explained.
But my main issue is the end of Episode 1:
Spoiler:
Way too fast, there is almost no comment on the news of the century, and everyone follows Moiraine on the spot. Their family seem ok with it, we do not even see a goodbye. I understand the urgency of the situation, but still I find it unbelievable. It should have been done better.
Layla isn't even buried, is she ?!!

Mat is perfect, those are some big shoes that the new actor has to fill. Also Eamon Valda's actor is great, he has a certain energy that would make a good villain.

Spoiler:
Yep that was jarring, I was like how could the family members be ok with this, they could have made ep 1 a little bit longer to flesh that part out and have Moiraine actually interact with the 4.

Yes, it is part of the rushed ending of episode 1. We do not have the Flame and Void discussion either. I kind of understand those changes, as this would give too much hints to the Dragon identity. Which is THE mystery of the serie. Reading some non-reader people assumption, the mystery seems well kept, some bet on Mat, some on Rand, some on Egwene, some on Perrin.
Maybe we will get those missing scene through flashback ?

Moiraine discussion with the Whitecloaks was quite intense!

Have you seen the 3min animated bonus video ? I particularly liked the first two.
Spoiler:
I've seen alot of people thinking it could be Egwene or Rand, that scene could be cut and we might get a flashback. There was alot of time inbetween where we last saw Tam and Rand and when they showed up at the end of the episode.

When Valda was feeling up Moiraine tho :scust

I'm only a few chapters in on Winter's Heart so no book 12 spoilers for me :goose I did watch the animated videos, I love the art. I want to see one that talks about the Age of Legends.

Van Basten

Black Lives Matter
It’s picking up.

The adaption still feels more Shannara Chronicles than Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings.

Everlong

VERIFYING UPDATE INTEGRITY
i have been a major wot fan for a while and some of the alleyans know this

ftr im satisfied with the first three episodes despite my anxiety they would butcher my baby like they did sword of truth

the pacing feels good though i would have liked a bit more myrdraal screentime

excellent casting -
Spoiler:
im not sold on perrin but i give props to the show for adding the laila origin arc because i feel like it just suits the beginning of his written character where he is anxious about hurting people with his strength

i like thoms entrance and cant wait to see all that sexual tension between him and moiraine

overall i am far from disappointed and quite a bit more hopeful on where they will take the show. the great thing about the wheel of time is that it has an ending already in place so hopefully they will be guided well by the books (and maybe shave off some of the boring shit from books 7-10 or whatever)

Brian

          
Blood and bloody ashes this was the best episode yet, had chills when Nyneve channeled. Alvaro Morte as Logain was spot on I kinda felt bad for him when he got gentled.

~Avant~

Eveningstar
Another great episode. Loved the interactions with the Tuathan and Perrin, setting him up for his pacifistic views. The Fade fought exactly like I wanted it too, almost like a vampire. Nyneave was hype as fuck. Logain was boss.

At this rate Rand and Mat should reach their next big destination by next week.

Nic

Another great episode. Loved the interactions with the Tuathan and Perrin, setting him up for his pacifistic views. The Fade fought exactly like I wanted it too, almost like a vampire. Nyneave was hype as fuck. Logain was boss.

At this rate Rand and Mat should reach their next big destination by next week.
Was under the impression they were skipping that destination and going straight for Tar Valon considering the title to episode 6.

Nic

Blood calls blood - episode 5
The flame of tar valon - episode 6
The dark along the ways - episode 7
The eye of the world - episode 8

Anyways Elayne's character is getting cast for season 2 so clearly they are replacing Camelyn for Tar Valon.

Top Bottom