The Expanse (Amazon)

Brian

          
that arm cutting scene, I'm wasn't sure it was that necessary but..... :monkaS

Camina's speech to Marcos was great, "unbent, unbroken, unbowed"

best episode this season so far.

dr_shadow

Still feels super weird for a "last season". Clearly aliens are gonna show up in the last scene or the finale, and then "end of series". Come on.

Brian

          
Is the next episode the last? how in the hell will this get wrapped up.......

better be like a 2 hour episode or something

dr_shadow

My understanding is that there are two more books after this, and a third on the way, but that there is some sort of time skip between Book 6 (where we are now) and Book 7. Meaning they could end the story after the current "Marco Arc" if ratings don't justify making seasons 7, 8, and 9.

Of course, "threatening" to end the show after the current season functions as a kind of marketing ploy, since it will galvanize more people to come out and watch it so the bean counters can justify another three seasons.

Skaddix

My understanding is that there are two more books after this, and a third on the way, but that there is some sort of time skip between Book 6 (where we are now) and Book 7. Meaning they could end the story after the current "Marco Arc" if ratings don't justify making seasons 7, 8, and 9.

Of course, "threatening" to end the show after the current season functions as a kind of marketing ploy, since it will galvanize more people to come out and watch it so the bean counters can justify another three seasons.

All the actual books are done...I think there is one more novella though.

Brian

          

I just want closure and I'm afraid the last episode will just be an open ended kind of ending. There's always a chance Amazon could adapt the rest of the books into movies if they're taking a break from it.

dr_shadow

I just want closure and I'm afraid the last episode will just be an open ended kind of ending.

That's what I'd expect. The final shot is probably going to be an armada of UFOs puring through the Ring, then - CREDITS.

... then a potential The Expanse 2 ("Season 7") would open with like "30 Years Later...", so we don't see the actual first contact between man and alien, we just fast-forward to an era where aliens are a normal part of life.

That's my prediction, at least. I haven't read the books, so don't shoot me if it turns out to be accurate.

dr_shadow

Ok, I finished the "final season". I guess this conclusion works, but I'd really prefer them to make seasons 7, 8, and 9, consideiring the books already exist and are ready to go. It's not a Game of Thrones situation where you've run out of source material. I don't see that there's any reason to stop here, unless ratings are godawful, which I can't see them being.

Garcher

Admanistrator
Haven't watched the season because I don't have cheap amazon prime student anymore lol. Will probably read/listen the books at some point instead, read the first one a while ago and it's actually pretty good even if you have already watched the show

dr_shadow

I guess the regulars of this thread need to discuss how to handle spoilers for Books 7, 8 and 9. :hm

I recommend spoiler tags just in case they make more seasons. And, even if you were to pick up the books minutes after finishing Season 6, you're not gonna be able to read all three of them in just a few days, so you might want to go un-spoiled for let's say at least the first month after the show ended (allowing about 10 days to read each book).

Edit:

I supposee there might be an Expanse thread in the literature section where we can talk about book spoilers. I haven't looked. If there isn't, someone should create one.

Skaddix

@dr_shadow

Something Funny....

But yeah I suppose this serves as a a natural breakpoint given the time jump.

also
Spoiler:
Lol at Filip saying fuck it though surely he should change his frakking first name lol even if Filip is super common in the belt

Brian

          
Well that was a fitting end to Marco, completely obliterated and realizing Filip wasn't there. I felt Naomi's scream as she did it. And holy shit Bobby was the MVP, thought she was a goner.

Overall it was a good send off. I don't see the point in showing the other planet with the little girl unless they have plans for future seasons. I did read rumors that Amazon plans to bring back the show after a timeskip?

Well either way I will miss this show :pepecry

dr_shadow

The length of the time skip is apparently...

Spoiler:

... 28 years.

Unclear how much the appearance of the characters will change in that time. I think we've alluded to that medical technology has advanced tremendously compared to today, and therefore the average life expectancy is over 100, so I believe they could still use the same actors with only minimal makeup.

Brian

          
The length of the time skip is apparently...

Spoiler:

... 28 years.

Unclear how much the appearance of the characters will change in that time. I think we've alluded to that medical technology has advanced tremendously compared to today, and therefore the average life expectancy is over 100, so I believe they could still use the same actors with only minimal makeup.

I just don't see the show waiting that long to make a comeback. Maybe 5-10 years is more realistic if they have plans

Cichy

The grand finale was good and you could see they poured a lot of money into that final battle.

With that said, I do agree that the early seasons of the show were better then the second half. The mistery of the protomolecule combined with interesting political intrigue was driving the show for me, since I never found the characters to be that interesting aside from few exceptions like Anderson Dawes, Klaes Ashford, Fred Johnson and Bobbie Draper who were mostly throwned under the bus anyway.

dr_shadow

I hope Bobbie is still alive post-timeskip. Best character.

I would assume that in the books, Alex either dies or retires during the timeskip, since they were comfortable killing (rather than recasting) the character over the actor's #metoo issues. They can't have "needed him" for any important plot points in seasons 7-9.

The World

KATTA
I hope Bobbie is still alive post-timeskip. Best character.

I would assume that in the books, Alex either dies or retires during the timeskip, since they were comfortable killing (rather than recasting) the character over the actor's #metoo issues. They can't have "needed him" for any important plot points in seasons 7-9.
Just spoiled myself on the wiki a little and it looks like
Spoiler:
his first son is unnamed he remarries and has another kid and then a grandkid

Amol

Chief of Wisdom
Watched the final season.
I think they did tie up loose ends good enough for it to feel like series finale but I still felt blue balled due to lack of story on Ring Entities.

There are two more novels after this season so they could easily make 3 more seasons out of them.

Though I guess timeskip makes it hard. They will need to digitally age literally all of the cast.

Because I couldn't wait for possibility of sequel for this series coming up in next decade, I ended up reading synopsis of next novels.

Spoiler:

So the whole little girl and her brother storyline is to lay ground work for Admiral (who betrayed Marco) to become Immortal and all powerful.

That Admiral wants to protect humanity from the Ring Entities which he plans to do by experimenting on Protomolecule and becoming Immortal in the process. He believes that humanity needs a strong powerful lone dictator to win against such a powerful enemies. He plans to make entire humanity submit to him by force so as to effectively use everything against Ring Entities.

From what I read in synopsis, he actually becomes sort of immortal. His Laconian Empire develops Anti Matter powered Gravity Weapons. Just single ship from his empire defeats Earth, Mars and Belt. Aged crew of Roci steals one of his ship and remains one threat to him. But Holden gets captured and remains captured entire time.

Admiral wants to use expertise of Holden to find a way to beat Ring Entities. He first finds a solar system that is connected to Gate but is devoid of life. Then he sends to a ship with enough mass that triggers attack from Ring Entities and while Ring Entities try to devour the ship, he donates Anti Matter bomb. It makes those entities so mad that they turn Sun of that solar system into a Black Hole and destroys many worlds connected to Ring Structure via radiation including Medina Station.

They also start a new attack that had wiped out the builder of Protomolecule. Apparently Ring Entities have power to mess with physic's universal constants for short time. They alter one constant which results into entire humanity suffering from time gap or time jump for few minutes. But apparently humanity is tougher than that previous civilization. This attack of forcing time to behave erratically had destroyed most of the ancient civilization. Their hive mind that was not prepared for this kind of attack caused problem for them.

While it is not good for Humanity either, it doesn't destroys humanity.

Ring Entities keep increasing the lengths of time attacks slowly. One weakness that Ring Entities has is that they don't understand humanity or "this" universe. Their knowledge of humanity or this universe is essentially same as Humanity's knowledge on them which is almost zero. They can't interact with this universe outside of Ring Gates.

Admiral plans to use Protomolecule and forcefully alter entire humanity to become a hive mind with him being the controller. He actually becomes strong enough to force Ring Entities stop from destroying ships while traveling through Gates. He literally can undo them.

Holden and others tries to stop him because well humanity doesn't want to become a hive mind with no individuality. Holden defeats Admiral and takes his place. He tries to stop Entities from fucking up the physics of the world and realise that Admiral had a point. He can't beat the Ring Entities without turning human race into a hive mind (which would power his mind to the level that is required to beat Ring Entities).

So Holden does what Ancient Civilization didn't do. They had just turned off the gates to stop Ring Entities from interfering with normal universe. Holden uses all the power he had gotten and destroys entire Ring Structure and Gates. Now humanity can not travel to other worlds using Gates thus everyone is stuck to whatever systems they were before but Ring Entities also can no longer interfere with normal universe.

Holden broke the connection between these two realities. He then dies after saving humanity.

Story ends with one ship reaching to Earth after a long long long time (they traveled using normal means). Earth is now mostly a ruin. They are greeted by Amos(who had gotten infected with Protomolecule and had become Immortal in the process).

Humanity is now scattered to vastness of universe with no easy way to reach to each other but there is still hope. Bittersweet ending I guess.

Top Bottom