System of a down.

Sweeney Todd

and Hell followed with him
Any guesses on what they are? Ive been wondering about this.. are they metal.. or rock or whatever.. and im ashamed cause im a big fan of System of a down... :notrust

Can I get any help?

They are a overrated "metal"ish band I guess... But they also fall into a lot of other categories. I guess they are part "scream-o rock" too.. Lol

They're not nu-metal at at all. Nu-metal is metal with rap e.g Linkin Park. System Of A Down is straight forward awesome Metal.

Wikipedia said:
Genre dispute

There is some contention over the band's genre.

System of a Down has been labeled as "nu metal" by some fans and media since their incarnation. This can be attributed to the release of their first album, which occurred during the ?nu metal? boom of the mid-to-late '90s, though they'd actually been making music and touring before nu-metal had been created. The song structure is also arguably done mostly conventionally.

Those who disagree with the nu metal label argue that System of a Down feature guitar riffs strongly reminiscent of those found in thrash metal. There are guitar solos on every album and the drumming tempo doesn't rise above the midtempo range of the chorus and bridges. The lyrics deal mostly with political and social issues or just pure randomness, rather than personal issues.

Others believe that System of a Down's genre and song structure varies by song and album so one label can not be used to describe the band.

Guitarist Daron Malakian has said in a Guitar World interview that he is glad System of a Down has not slipped into the nu metal genre. During a 2005 concert, he announced, "They used to call us n?-metal, now they call us prog rock. I think they'll call us anything that's popular."

In a 2005 interview with the Houston Press, Malakian said, ?Lately, we've been doing interviews, and people have been like, 'You guys are really leading the way for the new prog movement,' and I'm like, 'What?' Because a couple of years ago, these guys were comparing us to Limp Bizkit and Korn, and now that we're still here and those bands aren't, they're talking about prog. It's just kind of aggravating that people always have to have something to compare us to, or bunch us up with. I'm not saying we're the most original band in the world, but I don't really feel that we fall into a heavy-metal category or a pure rock category. There's a lot of stuff mixed up into one.?

asdfasdfasdf

ChaosMiranda said:
They're not nu-metal at at all. Nu-metal is metal with rap e.g Linkin Park. System Of A Down is straight forward awesome Metal.
Ture. Or maybe hardrock.. either way though.. they kickass!

lesserhumyn said:
i heard they're done now.
Where did you hear that? Honestly I think they are.. cause Daron was saying something about making a new band EATURMUSIC and Serj is making a solo album Serjical Strike.

I've heard them to be associated with progessive rock. With the swedish definition of progressive it would make more sense as it tracks back to artists like Mikael Wiehe an Björn Afzelius which both had strong political leftist opinions.

ChaosMiranda said:
Nah. That's not true either. It's not necessarily rap metal. It's one of those hard to define genres.
SOAD doesn't do much for me, personally.

OrochimaruHate said:
Where did you hear that? Honestly I think they are.. cause Daron was saying something about making a new band EATURMUSIC and Serj is making a solo album Serjical Strike.
i heard serj's album. it's really quite good. it branches all over the places from like jazz and middle eastern rhythms to kinda metally stuff.

destroy_musick said:
i thought Serjical Strike was his record label?

Enter The Chicken by Buckethead was on it
Serjical strike is the next album. American records is the record label for SOAD

System of a Down is not metal. Not any kind of metal. Neither the Linkin Park.

ChaosMiranda said:
they

are

not

metal

get

out!

OrochimaruHate said:
Serjical strike is the next album. American records is the record label for SOAD

i know SOAD are on American Records, but Serj owns and founded Serjical Strike records. I did my research and Serjical Strike is just a record label by the sounds of it

I heard that the're alternative metal. I don't know what that is, but thats what wikipedia said.

I call Fall Out Boy shit, which is an accurate description if you ask me.

SoaD is just another band that's all over the place.

lesserhumyn said:
technically, no
but people call them emo for some reason.

I can't believe you said that... Fall Out Boy makes crap look like shit (Uh... No pun intended). So therefore they fall into no other category BUT Emo. :amuse

Fall Out Boy? GOTH? Christ.

You look at the picture again and you tell me they're Goth... If you do you seriously have to get your eyes checked for color blindness. O-o

Back
Top Bottom