Rise of the Runelords

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
As soon as the last ogre falls, the party breaks into a run inside the ominous cave.

Passing the bones you come across an enormous figure frozen in vigil—a forty-foot-tall giant with black skin covered by fissures and cracks, like the bed of a dried river. He wears majestic armor, gilded and encrusted with gems, and grips a towering glaive in his armored fists. The giant’s face is hidden by a ferocious full helm forged into the sneering grimace of a fanged devil. Around the giant’s neck hangs a giant medallion—a seven-pointed star.

K. Nature DC27
Spoiler:
This gigantic “statue” is in fact a preserved body of a Rune Giant! Rune Giants could be considered creatures of Legend! It was said that Rune giants were created by the runelords of ancient Thassilon from fire giants. They were bred to command Thassilon's armies of giants and were therefore given the magical ability to control other giant species. No one has actually seen one in thousands of years!

K. History DC30
Spoiler:
Legends say that after the fall of Thassilon a Rune Giant named Gargadros seized Hook Mountain and the surrounding environs as his own, becoming the first of the line of "Dread Kings". The Kreeg clan had claimed to be descendants of him... which is debatable at best as the Kreeg are ogres.

Spellcraft DC17
Spoiler:
The body is under the influence of a Gentle Repose effect. You remember the Sihedron Medallions you have found have such ability on them.

The tunnel bends to west towards a set of crude stairs up.

Rounds of Blessing of Fervor Remaining 7

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The group sees statue... but here's more pressing matters at this time!

As you reach to the "first level", to the North there's a deep pit hewn from hard stone that descends into soot and darkness. The stale reek of decay wafts up from the depths below but the stairs continue up.

Mirenia uses this chance to cast dancing lights to show the way in this darkness... just to realize there are enemies ahead.

"Wait, wut that?" a deep slow voice brings to attention.

Round 1
Addo 14
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Ogre Fighters 2
Hill Giant 1

You all go first!

Blessing of fervor remaining 6

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia moves forward as she directs the lights, beginning her battle song on the flute before stowing the instrument.

(Mirenia activates Bardic Performance as a Standard Action and takes a Move Action forward. She sends her Dancing Lights up the stairs to shine light on what's to come.)

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Fleet of foot thanks to Blessing of Fervor, Gorrendux storms up the stairs and stabs at the nearest Ogre with his magical longspear.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Mirenia's lights shine over three hulking figures in this area: Two ogre fighters and a hill giant.

Gorrendux is able to move ahead and stabs the closest ogre.

Round 1
Addo 14
Rose 11
Sumara 10

Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4
Ogre Fighters 2 (A-11, B)
Hill Giant 1

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Rose goes up the stairs and shoots at the most wounded ogre (the one Gorrendux and Sumara hit already). Her arrows do some serious damage but not enough to bring him down.

The Kreeg Ogre in front of Mirenia takes a step closer, just to make sure she's at his reach and strikes her with his ogre hook (Mirenia -21), he attempts another swing but she evades it.

The Hill Giant moves forward as well, he would rather help the unscatched ogre, and slams his club on Mierenia as well. (Mirenia -16)

The badly wounded Kreeg Ogre strikes at Gorrendux -19. He raises his voice and gives out a warning. "Wake up! We got intruders here!"

Up the stairs to the east you can hear rousing shouts...

Round 2
Addo 14
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Ogre Fighters 2
Hill Giant 1

Blessing of Fervor remaining 5 rounds
Rounds before reinforcements fully awake/grab their gear 5 rounds

Hidden Nin

The bard takes a step to the side and forward, moving away from the hill giant and using the wall to limit the ogre's swinging range. Her starknife spins in her grip as her song weaves its way around its blades...

(Taking a five foot step. Then... Mirenia continues Inspire Courage as a Free Action, activates Arcane Strike as a Swift Action, and attacks the Kreeg directly in front of her as a Full Round Action with Blessing of Fervor's Bonus Attack.)

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"They hear us coming anyway now" Gorrendux grumbles as he takes a 5-foot step back in order to cast a spell. He casts Sound Burst, which sounds like a thunderclap and gong clamoring all at once. The sonic spell is centered on the Giant and is a 10-foot burst, so it only affects the Giant and both Ogres but none of the PCs. Each of them suffer 7 sonic damage (no save), and each must make a DC 17 Fortitude saving throw or be stunned 1 round. (He also takes the +2 to AC and Ref from Blessing of Fervor this round.)

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The ogres complain, covering their ears briefly, but otherwise seem to resist the spell.

The hill giant shouts. "STUPID NOISE! ME NO LIKE THAT!"

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Rose manages to shoot down both ogres before they are able to attack again. The hill giant remains.

"No kill my brothes! I smash you bad!"

The hill giant swings twice his club at Mirenia, seeing she's still the most wounded and at his reach, connecting each time with tremendous force. (-44)

Round 3
Addo 14
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Hill Giant 1

Blessing of Fervor remaining 4 rounds
Rounds before reinforcements fully awake/grab their gear 4 rounds

Hidden Nin

The bard begins to strongly reconsider the steps in her life that have brought her to this point. Stepping back quickly, she changes her grip on her weapon before throwing the starknife at the giant. "They're not your brothers -- they're ogres," she snaps in spiteful Giant.

(Thrown Attack at the Hill Giant, swapping the Blessing of Fervor to increased AC.)

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Watching the Giant and Ogres batter his Varisian friend, Gorrendux shuffles his feet to come up behind Mirenia, catching her before she falls. Invoke the name of Pharasma, he casts Cure Critical Wounds, restoring 40 HP to Mirenia.

"I think I may summon a creature to plug up that cave opening," the Cleric adds, gesturing to the east.

Last edited:

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The dim witted hill giant is attacked by all sides, but Mirenia's words are what hurt him the most!

"Wa-!? What? Nooooo! You lie! You lieeeee!" he cries out before collapsing to join his dead "brothers".

Rose keeps the momentum going and moves to the middle of the room.

There are no more ogres left in this room.

Round 4
Addo 14
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Blessing of Fervor remaining 3 rounds
Rounds before reinforcements fully awake/grab their gear 3 rounds

Hidden Nin

Mirenia catches her breath finally, throwing a thankful look over her shoulder at Gorrendux before nodding to the cleric. Stepping forward, she collects her thrown weapon, gets a grip, and prepares to follow the others forward.

(Move action to step forward, standard action to collect her starknife. Fin.)

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
With the extra speed of Blessing of Fervor, Gorrendux hustles up the stairs behind the team. He reaches out a hand and casts Protection from Evil on Sumara.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Addo moves forward, calling in the service of a Hound Archon to Aid him. Rose and Sumara come close behind. While you can't see exactly everyone here, you can hear several other ogres in the darkness beyond the bonfire lights. Those you can see are trying to done their armor, but noticing the arrival of the summon by the stairs they give up on that and only grab their weapons.

The ogre fighter rushes to the celestial and slashes him with his Ogre Hook (-22). He calls his brethren to attack. The other TEN ogres give out a battle cry and head to the entrance, but only one is able to get at the fighter's side. There's not enough space for everyone to attack on melee. He swings at Sumara but fails to connect. The rest of the ogres throw their spears but not one finds a target and those in the back don't have a clear view of you given the angle of the stairs.

Round 5
Ogre Fighter 20
Ogres 16
Addo 14
Archon 14 (-22)
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Blessing of Fervor remaining 2 rounds

Bird Masked

Sumara brought her sword up in a high guard and shuffled her left foot slowly up the rise. Her eyes darted between the fighter and his flanking compatriot, gauging and seeking an opening.

She found it in a hard oblique that had her shoulder straining and the estoc nearly flung clear of her grip to strike the fighter, but strike she did.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Addo's and the Archon's swords cut into the fighter deeply, followed by a series of strikes from Sumara, who then turns to the other ogre in the front. Their enemies fall to the combine effort of the group. Gorrendux starts casting Summon Monster V (full round, will appear next turn).

Round 5
Ogre Fighter 20
Ogres 16
Addo 14
Archon 14 (-22)
Rose 11

Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Hidden Nin

Mirenia sprints up the stairs to join the others, taking up a position next to Sumara and throwing her starknife forward at the Ogre directly across from them.

(Move Action to move, Standard Action to attack the Ogre, Free Action to maintain Inspire Courage, Swift Action for Arcane Strike.)

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Mirenia makes a deep cut on one of the ogres and Rose finishes him with a double arrow to the head. Her second arrow also falls another ogre perforating his skull.

The bodies fall past the party tumbling down the stairs while rest of the ogres manage to take the place of their fallen clanmates in an attempt to avenge them.

"We clan Kreeg do not fear death!" the one in front of Addo shouts, but in truth, him and his two pals in the front are feeling the aura of menace coming from the Archon and you.

One of them swings at the archon and misses. Seeing Addo is a walking fortress, the other two prefer to focus on Sumara and Mirenia. Sumara evades it gracefully, but even with the fear of the celestial's retribution, the third ogre is able to strike Mirenia (-21). The rest in the back cheer. "See! We eat fresh human tonight!"

Round 6
Ogres 16
Addo 14
Archon 14 (-22)
Rose 11
Sumara 10
Gorrendux 6
Mirenia 4

Hidden Nin

Mirenia takes a step back carefully to post up behind the nimbler Sumara, before she raises her voice in Giant.

"You lumbering imbeciles couldn't hit the broadside of a barn even if you took the week you'd need to pull your colossal, pox ridden, tumorous potato heads out of those swampy, unwashed pits of absolute filth you call asses."

(Takes a 5 foot step. Mirenia then defensively casts Blistering Invective as a Standard Action. Intimidation 19 to demoralize them and if successful they're Shaken and take 8 fire damage. If they fail a DC 16 Reflex saving throw they're on fire and take an additional 3 damage on their turn.)

Intimidation: 1d20 (5) + 14 Total: 19
Fire Damage: 1d10 (7) + 1 Total: 8
Burning: 1d6 (3) Total: 3

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The burning words spread hitting everyone. Chaos is starting to brew among their ranks. Only the one in front of ther and the one in the back avoid catching on fire.
"Me not fault I can't see well!!"
"I don't like big words!"
"Her voice burn!! SHE BE ANOTHER WITCH!"
"What she say?? I dun know what that mean... why you all on fire??"

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"Greetings my friends!" a deep voice rumbles seemingly out of nowhere. The blue torso, head, and arms of a muscular man with a black beard under a big smile suddenly appear with a puff of violet smoke. "Peace be upo- er, Ogres!? Haha! Let me help!" In a flash, the Djinni has his masterwork scimitar drawn and swinging back and forth deftly. Scoring a hit and hitting a second time, the Genie inflicts 44 slashing damage upon an Ogre. "Yaha! What sport!" the Djinni sings out happily.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Four ogres fall at your combined might. They are far less tough than their ogre fighter bosses... also lacking the same conviction and resolve. The three remaining ogres are starting to look at each other nervously, and glancing behind into the cave.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Just as Sumara ends up saying that, Rose shoots down the two remaining ogres in the back.

You have a moment to breathe, and in this cave it appears to double up as sleeping quarters and as a warehouse. Carts, pickaxes and piles of iron and raw ores can be seen at the entrances of several tunnels that lead here. There are several anvils and crude forges. Large crates are filled with dozens of mundane weapons fit for large creatures, many more than what the clan would need. It would appear this was an extensive mining operation... Ogres can and are known to use ores from the caves they live in, but this looks way too disciplined for the murderous brutes they generally are.

Meanwhile, Gorrendux, at the back on the stairs, does not hear anyone coming from the west or south tunnels yet. You are sure the sound of battle must have been heard echoing to the adjacent areas at least.

The Djinn has 9 rounds left
Hound Archon 8? rounds left
Blessing of Fervor 1 round left

((let's continue with actions per round to keep track of your summons))

Top Bottom