• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.

Rise of the Runelords

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Rose has missed most of the antics and happenings going on with the others as she takes time to study the manticore. Was it real, or just good craftsmanship? She had heard of hunters performing taxidermy in unorthodox ways to stick together several creatures to make a more fearsome one. She studies the thing for a long moment, and given the way that the dead keep coming back to life she tries to recall if anything about her training with the undead might clue her in as to whether or not this thing is some elaborate trap that is going to wake up and go berserk.

Perception: 1d20 (14) + 13
Total: 27
(+2 if there's anything undead related about this particular thing)

She keeps her bow clutched close at hand, feeling somewhat airy and light--getting used to different armor was always a bit weird for her.

The creature is real. Someone hunted it years ago. A good hunter at that. There manticore and the trophy heads on the walls seem in better shape that the house itself. Newer. They were likely hunted and prepared between 15 and 20 years ago. The assortment of animals gives Rose the feeling whoever it was, it was an accomplished hunter.

Of the undead... She is sure the movement and the fire it produced were real, but Gorrendux's positive channel energy has neutralized whatever it made it react.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Once it's clear Mirenia is safe Addo will explore the last room down the hall (B5).


This dusty room features a long couch caked with white sheets of wispy fungus. Eddies of dust skitter along the warped floorboards as if caught up by a slight breeze, yet no wind is noticeable in the air.

Perception Check please.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
As Addo doesn't find anything of note. He crosses the room to the other door to come out to the dining room... but as soon as he brushes against the swirling dust...

He gets the flash of a memory. A woman's memory filled with worry about what her husband might be doing on those late nights spent in the basement. She desperately paces in front of the chimney trying to figure out what to do. "Mommy?" a little fearful voice is heard behin her. "What's happening?"


An instant later, Addo is suddenly convinced that Vela is his young daughter and he develops a powerful urge to escape the house... something terrible is about to happen, you must get her out of here! QUICK! LEAVE! BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!


Will Save or you'll have to run back to grab her and leave the house the immediately, dragging her along if you must.
 

WorkingMoogle

Well-Known Member
Addo's step pauses in mid-stride as the memory washes over him. Calmly he compartmentalizes his mind, "listening" to the memory. He could empathize with the woman's plight, fear for children would overcome most anything else.

"Be at peace," he say quietly. "We will find the truth and give you rest." If there's no other reaction he'll continue through the room towards the remaining room.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The first floor has been completely explored, the group reconvenes.

There's a second and a third floor left... as well as the basement.

There are two stairs going up, one going down.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Gorrendux moves to the second floor with the others. Each step of the stairs creaks loudly announcing your arrival to the second floor but it appears nothing reacts.

The hallway turns around to the north, you left, lined with several doors to what you assume to be bedrooms. All of them are closed. Nothing is heard from the other side.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
This bedroom features a child-sized bed, a chair next to a toy box, and a looming stone fireplace big enough for a child to get lost in.

You can hear hushed whispers coming from under the bed.
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
"Could it be a child or is it some kind of witchcraft?"

Rose moves forward to check the bed, but instead bending down to check it she tries to push the bed back with her foot while keeping her bow at the ready.

STR:
1d20 (11) + 1
Total: 12
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Rose pushes the bed away, only to reveal three scared children, two human girls and a small boy huddled together.
"Quick! Hide!" the older girl whispers in terror and motions her beside them reaching and touching Rose's foot.

Rose suddenly has a vision.

-

She's the girl... she's convinced that her parents are trying to kill each other, and that whichever of them survives will be coming to kill you next. You glance at the hallway beyond the door with worry seeing your mother, wielding a torch trying to burn the walls, and your father, festering with tumors and wielding a long knife. They scream at each other and they start to attack the other. "IM GOING TO BURN IT! YOU CANT STOP ME!" she yells, eyes wild. "YOU BITCH!" he yells, but there's something wrong with his voice. It doesn't sound like papa...

"Zeeva, Aldern, quick, under the bed!" she hushes her siblings under her brother's bed.
"Sendeli, I'm scared," Aldern sniffles shaking huddled against her. "What do we do-?"
She desperately covers both their mouths as they begin to sob. "Shh... Shhh..."

You hear the sound of the fight, things breaking... shrieks she wished she could cover her ears but she has to make sure her younger siblings don't make a loud noise. Then there's a moment of tense silence. Her eyes are wide. Is it over? Could they run? Could they get out? Run to the town?? And suddenly...

"Cy- Cyralie? what... oh gods... OH GODS! NO! NO!" He screams and cries in despair. You can hear him rushing back into the master bedroom and shutting the door closed behind him as he continues to scream.

"Now, now!" the girl orders her siblings and they rush out... running down the stairs towards the exit, never turning back, even if the screams end suddenly.

-

Rose blinks and she's back in her own skin. No children. She feels a shiver down her spine... but other than that... she's fine.
 

Cardboard Tube Knight

Well-Known Member
Rose stands there for a second.

"It's ghosts. Ghosts or fey, they are always playing tricks like these." Confusion plays across Rose's face.

'I saw a husband and wife fighting, he was turning to kill her and she was trying to set the place on fire," she explains. "It's not clear why, but I think I was a child and we ran away."
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Only Rose saw the children. They are no where to be seen now.

The group proceeds to the double doors on the left and Addo opens the door.

A stone fireplace sits in the northwestern portion of this chamber. Paintings hang on the walls to the north and south, each covered over with a thick sheet of dusty cobwebs that obscures its subject from view. There's another set of double doors at the other side of the room.
 
Last edited:

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
As you cross the room, you are able to get a better look of the paintings.

Each painting bears a plaque that identifies those pictured within.

The three to the north depict Vorel and Kasanda Foxglove and their daughter Lorey. Vorel is a tall, middleaged man with long dark hair, a clean-shaven face, and dark blue noble’s clothes, while Kasanda is a stern-faced brunette woman with wisps of gray in her short hair and
a flowing blue dress. The five to the south show Traver and Cyralie Foxglove, their son Aldern, and their two daughters Sendeli and Zeeva. Traver, like Vorel, is tall and thin, but with an even narrower face and a thin mustache. Cyralie is a young woman with long red hair and an impish smile.


Just as Addo open the door to the Master Bedroom, suddenly the temperature in the room drops dramatically. Breath frosts in the air and fingers of rime slither across the walls. The figures depicted in the portraits suddenly shift from paintings of living people to those of dead folk. Kasanda and Lorey slump into misshapen, tumor-ridden corpses. Traver grows pale as a long cut opens in his throat and blood washes down over his chest. Cyralie blackens and chars, and her arms, legs, and back twist as if broken in dozens of places. Little Aldern’s flesh darkens with rot, his hair falls out, and he deforms into a ghoul-like monster. Both Sendeli’s and Zeeva’s portraits frost over but otherwise remain unchanged. Vorel’s entire portrait, frame and all, erupts into a sudden explosion of fungus and tumorous growth. This wave of fungus and disease washes over the entire room.


You can attempt to neutralize the manifestation before it runs its course with positive energy.

Otherwise, I'll need a fort save from everyone except Mirenia.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Mirenia moves to the upper right corner door and opens it.

This entire bedroom is caked with a thick, spongy layer of dark green, blue, and black mold.

She hears whispers inside, a little girls' voice, quivering with fear, ask, “What’s on your face, mommy?”

Do you enter the room?
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
She's somewhat used to this by now, and so decides to begin singing quietly, entering the room. (Mirenia uses one Round of Countersong as she enters the room. Also knows when an Illusion spell or spell like ability is used within 60 feet of her.

"What's wrong, little one?" she sings to the moldy walls and child's voice.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
In the master bedroom, Gorrendux's heart begins to race when he sees the frost start to expand across the room's walls. When he notices the toadstools and fuzzy mold burst forth from the painting of the middle-aged man with long dark hair, the Cleric knows he has little time to react. "Pharasma protect us!" Gorrendux shouts as he summons a blast of holiness, inflicting 13 positive energy damage.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Gorrendux moves to B15 (the master bedroom) as he uses his channel energy to hit the manifestation in B7 (gallery), neutralizing it before it can release a cloud of fungus and disease upon them.

As he takes a breath he looks at the rest of the master bedroom. This once fine chamber has been destroyed. The bed is smashed, mattress torn apart, walls gouged as if by knives, chairs hacked apart, and paintings on the walls torn to pieces—with one exception. A portrait hanging on the northwest wall seems to be untouched, although it hangs backward, its unseen subject facing the wall.

Gorrendux hears a whisper echo in his head, the voice of a woman scolding him. "Just what do you do in damp below?" He suddenly feels dizzy, a headache taking a hold to his mind with a flash of anger. He quickly identifies it as another manifestation about to take place.

He has a chance to neutralize it as well with positive energy or I'll require a will save from him.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
She's somewhat used to this by now, and so decides to begin singing quietly, entering the room. (Mirenia uses one Round of Countersong as she enters the room. Also knows when an Illusion spell or spell like ability is used within 60 feet of her.

"What's wrong, little one?" she sings to the moldy walls and child's voice.

Mirenia sees to see a form made out of the mold and fungus. A little girl without eyes. "Mommy!" she shrieks looking at her.

Mirenia feels the skin of her face itch. She sees a tangle mess of lichens, tumors a boils sprout out of her face...

Will Save, this is a mind-affecting effect
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The vision, while upsetting, can't take hold in her mind and fades away along with the sudden compulsion to claw at her face.
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia's expression tightens as she realizes she had walked into another dangerous haunt, but settles once she's managed to see through it. A moment later she begins to look around the room for anything out of place beneath the mold or under any beds.

#Perception: 1d20 (11) + 12 Total: 23
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The room seems mostly empty. She assumes this was a guest room of sorts as Aldern's room as clearly decorated to be a child's room.

But...

She hears the floor slightly creaking in the room above. There's also brief female sobbing. Someone IS there.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"What do I do in a damp below? What on Golarion does that mean?" Gorrendux grumbles at the voice of an unseen old woman. "Bah, the rest of you, stay back outta this here bedroom. I'll search it," he warns as he looks around. Presuming he has resisted this latest haunt, he'll try to Take 20 if possible to search (2 minutes) for a result of Perception 24.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Gorrendux resists the urge of killing the nearest female and proceeds to search through the room. Everything is a mess and the only thing of note is the painting turned around. He checks it... only to find out that is the portrait of a young varisian woman in a pensive pose. The resemblance to Mirenia is great. Other than that, it's a fine looking piece of art, in case he wishes to carry it and sell it later...

 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia stifles what she was about to say before deciding to look through more rooms and then report back to the others. Leaving that room behind, she silently moves to the next door on the floor to crack it open and peer inside, humming to herself. (Using another Round of Bardic Performance; Inspire Courage. 14/17 Rounds left.)
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Mirenia sees this is the upstairs bathroom...

An iron tub sits in the middle of this room, the floorboards around it sagging with the tub’s weight.

Perception check.
 

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Vela opens door 1 and sees a set of stairs going to the attic. Nothing happens... so she opens door 2.

The furniture in this bedroom, while dusty and unkempt, does not exhibit any major signs of water or mold damage. The one exception is a dark stain on the desk near the fireplace. She would have to enter the room if she wishes to check it closely with perception.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Plucking the fancy painting off of the wall, Gorrendux leaves the bedroom and catches up with Mirenia. "Mirenia, please take a look at this artwork I found over there in that bedroom. Um, I think no one should enter that bedroom, by the by. That bedroom is clearly haunted, like most of this place, but I think it could induce violence between us, so best we stay out."
 

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
Mirenia takes a step back from the bathroom, avoiding setting off that particular trap for now, before she looks in surprise at the painting he's found. "This is Iesha Foxglove...I believe her ghost haunts this house, among others..." she tells him quietly. "If at all possible, we should attempt returning these things to her. I believe I heard movement in the attic above...and if anyone were to enter the bathroom, it would collapse beneath their weight." She looks towards the last set of double doors, then glances at Gorrendux.
 

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"Collapse?" Gorrendux says while craning his neck to look at the haunted washroom and the heavy bathtub. He says to Mirenia, "Okay, so there's a ghost upstairs we need to destroy? By Pharasma's will, I've heard of ghosts and learnt a bit about them, but never battled such powerful undead before. You think this art will serve as suitable bait to lure it into a trap?"
 
Top Bottom