Rise of the Runelords

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"Greetings strangers, er, I believe I recognize you," Gorrendux says to Orik. "Remind me your name please? You might remember me, my name is Gorrendux, I was the one with the longspear ready to pierce your heart. And who's Lyrie? Was that the gal you were with showing off considerable amounts of skin? What have you been up to since we avoided fighting each other at Thistletop? As you might have heard, we neutralized Nualia. You made a wise choice that day."

Gorrendux now suspects everyone he meets might be that mysterious vigilante known as the "Shroud." Gorrendux's pointed Half-Orc ears listen carefully to Orik's voice...

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"Aye, my name is Orik. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you don't remember me. You are pretty famous now," he chuckles.

"Yeah, I went off with Lyrie. The idea was to try luck in Korvosa, but things got out of hand. You see... just as we got there, she learned that Tsuto was being held for trail in Magnimar. So she demanded we go back to find him. I tried to tell convince her to stay, we had gotten a good gig but she wouldn't listen to reason. We went back aaaall the way there, and demanded to see him at the courts. They told her he wasn't in his cell and they didn't know where he was. She thought they were lying and... well, she kinda lost it after that. She tried to break in to get him out. Luckily for me, she had gone behind my back and got caught on her own. If Tusto is there, she's certainly going to find him now. I guess I dodged a big one after all... again," Orik scratches his nose. "If you are not looking to hire, I hope you don't-, ehrm... tell the sheriff about my past? I just want to get a normal job for once. If not with you, maybe I can work here as security for someone in town? Seems like the place has had more problems than just a clan of goblins, uh?"

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"You can say that again," Gorrendux agrees. "Why was Lyrie so interested in Tsuto? I wonder what became of that creep. He weaseled his way out of justice, and showed up to, I gotta admit, help us in a nasty fight against a corrupt justice-of-the-peace and a bunch of dark cultists. Tsuto is scattered to the four winds, as far as I know. His sister of course is still here in town. But at the end of the day, he still was instrumental is his father's murder. Anyway, regarding our sheriff... I genuinely can't think of anything to report. You stood down when we met one another under Thistletop."

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"I wanted to talk about Mr. Tander, actually," she says. "I've been spending a bit more time with Jubrayl. I wouldn't be surprised if you found more business going in the direction of Bottled Solutions in the future from certain contacts."

"I'm sorry?" Aliver looks at her sharply. "I'm not sure what you are talking about Mirenia. Here I thought Madame Mvashti didn't suffer the likes of him. All this fame was gotten your confidence flying high if you don't care what she would think of you," he chuckles. "Mr. Vhiski's business is his own, and certainly not mine. If he wants potions that will backfire on him and his associates, then that Nisk is the right person for the job," he shrugs and finishes cleaning an empty vial and carefully places it in a rack with another dozen ones. "My merchandise is of the highest quality and works as intended."

Sense Motive?

Hidden Nin

sorry bitch i don't say sorry
The songstress listens carefully, before quirking her lips, leaning closer. "My choices are my own, and no one else's. It's not something I want to do forever, but some fun only lasts a little while." She leans back, eyeing the alchemist. "There are still some remains on the dragon left, by the by. And my time in Magnimar has left me with a number of varied contacts. If you happened to have stock that needed to go somewhere, I believe they'd be more generous than any potential clients you used to have."

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"You can say that again," Gorrendux agrees. "Why was Lyrie so interested in Tsuto? I wonder what became of that creep. He weaseled his way out of justice, and showed up to, I gotta admit, help us in a nasty fight against a corrupt justice-of-the-peace and a bunch of dark cultists. Tsuto is scattered to the four winds, as far as I know. His sister of course is still here in town. But at the end of the day, he still was instrumental is his father's murder. Anyway, regarding our sheriff... I genuinely can't think of anything to report. You stood down when we met one another under Thistletop."

"Alright, I'll still keep things just between us. I reckon they wouldn't react well if they heard I was with Nualia for a time."

Orik will stay for around time in something show up.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The songstress listens carefully, before quirking her lips, leaning closer. "My choices are my own, and no one else's. It's not something I want to do forever, but some fun only lasts a little while." She leans back, eyeing the alchemist. "There are still some remains on the dragon left, by the by. And my time in Magnimar has left me with a number of varied contacts. If you happened to have stock that needed to go somewhere, I believe they'd be more generous than any potential clients you used to have."

"Ah, is that what you and Jubrayl intend to do with that new boat of his then? I don't mind that my wares might share space with someone's else," he grabs his ledger and a pen, but turns to look Mirenia right in the eye. "But I'll let you know. The remains of he dragon are no good now. It's been more than 24 hours since it's been sitting there, spoiling," he points with his pen towards the general direction of the Cathedral with annoyance. "In any case, I meant what I say Mirenia. You better check on Nisk Tander to see if he didn't poison himself. The properties of dragon bile are extremely dangerous. Stronger people than him have died from it."

Hidden Nin

"I'll take a look when I'm on my way back... and fair enough," she agrees with a nod, voice lowering further. "Just know -- my contacts aren't to be trifled with. Can you keep up the same production you currently run for dear Jubrayl? Anything less won't cut it. Though you'll be compensated well should you meet their expectations."

WorkingMoogle

Seeing Gorrendux is addressing Orik Addo approaches the elven man. He wasn't entirely sure what to make of "fate" guiding him but then surely the gods have worked stranger miracles.

"Greetings," the older Aasimar says. "You've traveled quite the distance from your home, might I ask how you came to hear of Sandpoint's plight?"

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Gorrendux bids Orik adieu, then saunters over to join Addo and the Elf Witch in their conversation.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The elven man stares blankly at Addo for a second, as if he's trying to figure out how to respond. There's not much emotion on his face, and the aasimar has the slight impression he's talking to a statue or even a frozen body. There's a strange quiet oddness about him... similar but not exactly like Rose's.

"My name is Thalvan Sheari. The winds and the Harrow guided me South..." the elven man trails off and carefully brings out a Harrow Deck from the inner pocket of his blue winter coat. The design on the back of the cards is of intricate Varisian origin. "... and I owe this to Niska Mvashti."

He has a thick accented common, and the Ulfen influence comes through heavy. ((Ulfen is spoken in both the Land of the Linnorm Kings and the Frozen Lands of Irrisen to the North... a bit like Sweden))

WorkingMoogle

Addo looks the man over before glancing to Gorrendux, not quite sure how to take the elf. "Hm, yes, well I'm sure the village will be happy for the timely assistance no matter how it was divined."

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"Ah, no, it wasn't divined," he tilts his head and the corner of his lips slightly turn up. Addo's sense motive is actually good enough by itself to get a sense of amusement from the almost expressionless elf. "The cold and the cards spoke to me... talked to me like you and I. Told me it was time to come south."

"Yes, I know," he whispers down at the deck on his hand as if responding to someone Addo cannot see, and his attention returns to the Aasimar. "Is Nishka still alive? I heard she settled here. They wish to see her."

(( Just in case: Nishka Mvashti is Madame Mvashti. ))

WorkingMoogle

"Yes," the priest says with a degree of caution. "She actually participated in the defense of the town, though we cautioned her against it."

"I imagine she's probably at her home, I could lead you there?"

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The elf offers a soft smile to Addo, the most expressive he's been so far.

"Yes, please. Thank you," Thalvan gently puts the deck back into his coat and follows the winged warpriest wherever he leads.

"I'll take a look when I'm on my way back... and fair enough," she agrees with a nod, voice lowering further. "Just know -- my contacts aren't to be trifled with. Can you keep up the same production you currently run for dear Jubrayl? Anything less won't cut it. Though you'll be compensated well should you meet their expectations."

The man narrows his eyes inquisitively. "I don't know what you might be planning with Jubrayl, or what you think I do for him... but if he wants to negotiate something, he can come and deal with me if he wants. Again, hero of Sandpoint or not, I'm not going to grovel to you or anyone."

At this time two people enter the small shop. "If you aren't buying anything... some of us have actual work to do," he puts on his best face and proceeds to welcome the newcomers and taking their orders for ointments and medicines.

EvilMoogle

Supporting Staff
Addo politely leads the man to Madame Mvashti's house. "How is it you came to know Madame Mvashti? Forgive me for saying but you don't look like you're from around here?"

Hidden Nin

"As you wish," she says with a bow of her head. "Take care." With that, Mirenia walks her way over to Manor Street, ostensibly to see how each of the homes there are doing, but more accurately to see if she can catch a certain Scarnetti.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Addo politely leads the man to Madame Mvashti's house. "How is it you came to know Madame Mvashti? Forgive me for saying but you don't look like you're from around here?"

"I met her, many many years ago when I was much younger. She was travelling through Irrisen, invited by one of the White Witches to read her fortunes. I accidentally displeased our Lady and Nishka interceded for me. She saved my life that day... and left me these," he places a hand over his heart where the cards are. "I promised I would take care of them. They have taught me everything I know. They say fate is upon us and had to come down and return her the favor," he said as it was the most normal thing in the world.

Mirenia leaves Aliver's shop and catches sight of Addo, Gorrendux and... a odd elven man heading to Mvashti's home.

If she wishes to seek Titus, she's likely to find him today by the Sawmill assessing any damages to his business. What will she do?

Hidden Nin

Mirenia gives pause as she catches the two holy men with an elf she's unfamiliar with walking to her amma's home. Well, this business with the Titus and Jubrayl will have to wait. This was worth investigating. Quickly and quietly she catches up with them. "Well hello there," she greets the unknown elf. "Are you all heading in for a reading again?" she asks her fellow adventurers quizzically.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
The first thing Mirenia notices is the stoic look of the pale elf, showing a hint of surprise seeing her arrive.

"I do not come for a reading. But to return something. A favor," he tries to explain but he hesitates, trying to discern something. "Are you... a grandaughter of Nishka? Great-granddaughter?"

Hidden Nin

"Nishka?" she says with an incredulous giggle and another once over, studying the pale elf. "Mhm. You're here to return a favor to amma, then...?"

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Thalvan nods slightly. "Yes. We hoped to see her again. I feared we would not be able to come down in time," he pats something in a pocket on his chest. "It's difficult to cross the borders of Irrisen without the permissions of the White Witches. Their dolls could kill us..." he trails off and instinctively glances over his shoulder to the North. "We should be far enough..."

Koya, Madame Mvashti's daughter, is sweeping off some of the mud left by the sleet storm that was casted the day before. Madame herself is sitting outside by the door on a small rocking chair. She looks exhausted and half asleep from the events of the day before. The elf sees her and stops on his tracks.

"...Nishka?"

The old woman immediately looks up, now completely awake. She blinks and squints as trying to discern who it is.

"Spirits?" she whispers confused at first and then her eyes go wide in recognition. "Thalvan!?"

"You remember me," he lowers himself to one knee in front of her.

"Oh! Look at you! You haven't aged a day!"

"I have," he offers a small smile.

"This is wonderful!" It's hard to believe this excited sweet old lady was the same standing her ground against a giant using the power of the elements.

He slowly reaches into his pocket and brings out the deck he was carrying. He bows his head down in respect and offers it to her with reverence.

"Daughter of the Harrow... Wandering Song... Spiritspeaker... The Winter Harrow said it was time to come back to you."

Mirenia and Koya are struck by the realization that this deck is not any common deck. This is a consecrated Harrow Deck but with a design influenced by Irrisen instead of Varisia.

"Oh..." the woman's eyes brighten at the sight. Her old thin hand trembles reaching towards the deck but then she hesitates... She sees frost building up around them as if trying to protect itself. "Ah... I see." She chuckles and pulls back her hand. "My dear, they've have grown with you."

He stutters a bit. "But-... They are yours," He offers them again. "They said they are needed."

"Yes, they are. But I cannot use them now..." she taps the rocking chair. "I felt it, I have done enough already, Thalvan," she sighs tiredly and turns to Mirenia and company. "These nice people are the ones who are looking out for all of us. If you wish to help me, assist them however you can..."

He seems at a loss for a second. He then nods and carefully brings back the deck into his pocket before standing up to face you, unsure on how to proceed.

"I... I am Thalvan of Sheari. Invoker Cartomancer of the Winter Harrow... I am at your service."

Hidden Nin

Mirenia puts a hand on her hip, observing Thalvan thoughtfully throughout his reunion and introduction. "Having someone else around to sling spells so you don't have to face down giants wouldn't be the worst thing," Mirenia teases with a glib smile, still seeming dubious of this offer. "Are you certain this is what you want? We're about to confront an army of giants led by some kind of magical rune giant as part of what may be an ancient cult. If you want more of a slow pitch to start, it's no issue..."

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
"Really? You have experience with Giants. Tell us more," Gorrendux says to Thalvan. He eyes the Harrow Deck the Elf keeps touching. "I serve the Spiral of Fate. I'd be up for a Harrow reading, if you are."

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
"I have confronted a few giants and trolls back in Irrisen. As long as a large creature is not resistant to cold, I have a high chance of affecting them. The bigger they are, the easier to hit... usually."

When asked for a reading, Thalvan stares at Gorrendux for a second, then looks back at his pocket as if waiting for something. "They agree for a reading. But they are tired and wish to have the rest of the day afterwards," the elf warns him. "Is it alright if we do the reading inside?"

"Yes, of course. I'd like to see them myself." Madame says and Koya helps her up and waves to get you inside.

You enter the now familiar living room and take a seat. Thalvan sits in the ground in the middle of the room unprompted.

"What is what you seek? Do you have a specific question?" he starts shuffling the cards. Mirenia can tell the technique was definitely taught by her amma.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Thalvan procedes to do a general reading. As he pulls each card, notice the exquisite art of the cards. You have become familiar with the traditional Harrow cards and images... usually use warm and vibrant colors. The art on these ones have alternate versions of the Varisian ones, with scenes adapted to the folklore of Irrisen. Animals are white, and background details show snowed forests, tundras and glaciers. Every time he deals a card you can swear there's a draft of cold breeze sneaking from under the door. Winter IS upon you after all.

The Past:

Wanderer - You have discovered someone's worth, when others thought they were worthless. This could be a boon for you.

Paladin - A Paladin does not back down. You stayed your course and did what you knew was right. Even at great pains.

Snake bite - Poison takes many forms, not all of them physical. You have seen the virtuous corrupted in some way.

The Present:
Owl - Eternal wisdom of the natural order. Through much tribulations, those who are left grow stronger.

Peacock (a true match!) - There is a sudden personal shift in attitude or a societal change taking place.

Cyclone - A disaster, one not natural but brought by wicked plots. There is war, arson and plans of destruction brewing.

The Future:

Sickness (Misaligned) - This one here represents a chance to stop a disaster.

Dance: It advises staying your course... those who step out of the rhythm do so at their peril.

Empty Throne (Misaligned) - ... The ghosts of the past are restless. It might require a mighty effort to set things right.

Ronnam

Gorrendux / Red Royb
Gorrendux nods along as though he understands it all. Some holy people look down upon Harrow card readers, but many Pharasmins respect it as a reflection of their goddess's interest in fate and prophecy. His eyes play across the unusual versions of the Harrow images. He smiles at the Owl and Peacock, images that resonate with him.

"Thank you, friend. Thalvan, please forgive my ignorance. The ones you mention as 'misaligned' for my possible future, the Sickness and the Empty Throne... how should we interpret those?"

Hidden Nin

Mirenia finds herself smiling despite herself as she watches Thalvan's handiwork, folding her arms over her chest and glancing fondly at Mvashti for a quick moment. She's quiet as subject and fortune-teller converse about the reading.

soulnova

Hello Kyuubi
Madame Mvashti looked at the cards with interest and Thalvan's interpretation and seems satisfied with the reading. The elf retrieves the cards as as he explains.

"The traditional spread for a reading is called The Tapestry," he says without looking up. "Three row and three columns representing past, present, and future... favorable, neutral and unfavorable states of being. The deck consists of 54 cards, each of which symbolizes a topic and moral stance withing this grid. Each card has a symbol for the six basic attributes of a creature. Each symbol is arranged on the face of the card to represent its ethical dimensions and moral dimensions. When a Harrower draws a card into the grid and it falls on the complete opposite alignment position it is said to be Misaligned, and it represents it should be given a contrary interpretation. Usually, a reading must be done alone, individually, as perhaps the interpretation for one pulled card can vary widely for each member of the group and become to broad. In the end the person asking the questions must internalize the interpretations and seek their own truth."

"There are many Harrow readers who wish to force their own interpretations to the spread... but it is foolish to try to force a particular vision of the future in that way," he says with a hint of disapproval. "The cards dislike it when one does that. They get cranky," he says finishing to put the deck back into his pocket.

"After this reading the situation and the danger ahead is much clearer, for me at least. What is your next step? I'll follow where your winds take me."

Top Bottom