operating system

TagZ

South African Monsta
Hi all, another problem, I know PATHETIC, i want to install an operating system but i dont have a floppy drive. I do have the os disc's, my question is how do i install the os. I can get to the bios setup screen thingy lol.

please help.

First off, that I know of, you don't use floppy drives anymore, expecially for an OS. OS's require CDs, as far I as know for OS X: Tiger and Windows XP.

I'm afraid I don't know much past that.

If you're doing a clean install then just make sure your CD/DVD drive is set to be boot off of first then pop in the disc and follow the instructions. You can set the boot priority in the BIOS.

Hi, I changed it to boot up from the cd first but after i save & exit it goes to a memory test and just stays still and then when i reset the comp it goes to the memory test again and freezes again. Is there anyway to change it to boot from the cd first and make it boot straight away instead of saving and exiting.

TagZ said:
Hi, I changed it to boot up from the cd first but after i save & exit it goes to a memory test and just stays still and then when i reset the comp it goes to the memory test again and freezes again. Is there anyway to change it to boot from the cd first and make it boot straight away instead of saving and exiting.

you can also skip the memory test. your bios has an option/setting for that. then you will be able to boot off the cd if you have set it to boot up first.

1. So put your OS cd's in ( which Os are you installing anyway?)
2. Go to bios and disable memory test on boot up.
3. whil still in bios, change the boot sequence, put boot on CD first, then HD.
4. Save and exit
5. Pc restarts you should see "Press any key to boot from CD".... something like that, at that point hit enter continue with your install.

But before you do anything, i suggest you do a more extensive research on how to install an OS. theres a few things that you have to do during the install so be carefull.

Thanks for all the help i am going to try and disable the memory test and set it to boot from the cd straight away.

thanks.

There's no option for me to turn off the memory test. I also tried the spacebar thing to boot the cd from the bios and that didn't work either.
I am trying to install windows xp 2005 media centre edition.

Just go in the bios setup by pressing del button or f1 required by your pc and in boot order priority get the cd on first boot device and you have done it .
now no need of floppy ! but your cd should be bootable.

xtrashock said:
Just go in the bios setup by pressing del button or f1 required by your pc and in boot order priority get the cd on first boot device and you have done it .
now no need of floppy ! but your cd should be bootable.
I think he already did that XD;

Back
Top Bottom