Culture Opera

Vagrant Tom

Stoic Gudetama
Anyone ever been to an opera before? I am in Paris for a few days, thought I'd try out some high culture, so why not? I am on the metro back from seeing an opera right now. And I have to say that was the most boring 2 hours of my life. €150 pissed down the drain.

What does everyone have to say about this? Have you been to an opera? Was it also incredibly boring?

I’ll enjoy a YouTube clip of some world-class opera singer for a couple minutes. Sitting through a full opera is definitely torture though.

Shrike

I’ll enjoy a YouTube clip of some world-class opera singer for a couple minutes. Sitting through a full opera is definitely torture though.
Yep - while I appreciate the art, I definitely don't have the patience to sit through the entire thing, especially since it's not really my cup of tea either way.

Catamount

Uncaged
Depends on what exactly I am listening to and where I am sitting. If it is a good spot where I can enjoy the details of the costumes and decorations in addition to music, so I would remain more engaged through the whole thing. I wouldn't want to sit through some war story, biography or something like that if it is opera. Situational comedy or a love story are easier to follow in opera with at least some interest. But not going to lie, I visit operetta a lot more often than I do opera.

wibisana

still newbie
never use opera
i use baidu
/jk
-Jim probably

btw never beenin opera or Indonesia traditional opera (Wayang Wong/human puppet show literally)

but ive seen some shadow pupper shows

Vagrant Tom

Stoic Gudetama
Depends on what exactly I am listening to and where I am sitting. If it is a good spot where I can enjoy the details of the costumes and decorations in addition to music, so I would remain more engaged through the whole thing. I wouldn't want to sit through some war story, biography or something like that if it is opera. Situational comedy or a love story are easier to follow in opera with at least some interest. But not going to lie, I visit operetta a lot more often than I do opera.

Yeah the opera I went to had an empty stage. All the characters wore simple, plain black, cloth dresses. The only exception was the queen who wore white. The only prop was an axe. Snore.

Jim

Normal Person
I've been to an opera for school before. I forgot the language it was in and what the plot was.

Catamount

Uncaged
Yeah the opera I went to had an empty stage. All the characters wore simple, plain black, cloth dresses. The only exception was the queen who wore white. The only prop was an axe. Snore.
You would probably like some opera-like musical performance on stage. We are calling it operetta and it is very engaging - opera-tier singers perform the most different works in costumes, with modern stage decorations, often with at least a primitive dance routine in the background. It can be something pop-ish like Mozart rock-opera or a classic literature, choose whatever. The story is easy to follow and always something to discuss. It just moves faster than opera and you can't really look away cause you would lose some plot detail. That is entertaining and still it is a sophisticated art so posh yourself away dressing up for it.

Last edited:

TasteTheDifference

I think a lot of people here would enjoy the ring cycle by Wagner, it's got gods, giants, dragons, OP characters, also the operas are all constructed around motifs associated with characters or themes, so you can understand what's going on to some extent through listening to the music alone

Last edited:

Yamato

ANBU- Sadist
I haven't been to an opera before, but if there ever was one with Mike Rowe I'd definitely go.
He used to be an opera singer before doing QVC, Dirty Jobs and his other shows, podcasts, etc. He's got an awesome voice.

Canute87

Nuke Imminent
Anyone ever been to an opera before? I am in Paris for a few days, thought I'd try out some high culture, so why not? I am on the metro back from seeing an opera right now. And I have to say that was the most boring 2 hours of my life. €150 pissed down the drain.

What does everyone have to say about this? Have you been to an opera? Was it also incredibly boring?
opera isn't the same without some assassination plot

Several times as a kid.

Have a famous opera singer relative here too, not that I've met him more than like twice in my life. My family tree is long and convoluted and spans two countries so yeah, keep discovering new cousins :blobok

TasteTheDifference

Imagine this is zoro forging his sword
Spoiler:
well tbh this character Siegfried is actually cooler than zoro because he one shots both a dragon and Odin lol

Last edited:

Atlantic Storm

QUIET!
Advisor
I appreciate the art of opera, but wouldn't really care to sit through a two-hour show. I once went to a show in Beijing (China has a unique style of opera known as Peking opera) and I enjoyed it for about twenty minutes before I wanted to leave.

Worm Juice

Braphog
I went to an opera about Oppenheimer once. It was interesting to see. It was in German with subtitles in a bar at the top of the stage.

Wagner Operas would be a nice start. They are bombastic and hitler-approved.

Who was the composer of the opera you went to?

Dattebayo-chan

License to Fangirl
I understand and appreciate that it’s a form of artistry. I’m sure it requires a lot of training and talent to sing opera. It’s just not my thing to be honest. I prefer musicals.

Vulpix

she/her
I've been to an opera when I was a little kid and it was okay.

I like the songs from Phantom of the Opera and I would be interested in seeing that one day.

Top Bottom