[OP] Is Wano the worst war arc in manga?

This is the worst war arc you’ve ever read

• Yes

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 72.0%

• Total voters

Mawt

Idk, I feel I've seen a few people sporting Kaguya avatars - Hina Uzumaki and Ultrafragor at least seem to like her, possibly others too. Definitely a minority though.
Interesting, I didn't know Kaguya fans existed. It seems we've discovered a new species.:hm

Agreed on Obito and Madara. The fact Obito even has such a poor backstory and motivations for being evil and yet remains popular really shows how outclassed Bleach Hitler is.
:mjlol

Aegon Targaryen

The ''King'' of Inventors
Interesting, I didn't know Kaguya fans existed. It seems we've discovered a new species.:hm

:mjlol

In all fairness, Obito WAS a genuinely awesome character at times, arguably even post-reveal. He had some killer lines and his backstory was still pretty sad by all accounts, and his heroic child self and villainous Masked Man self were both legitimately awesome in their own ways. Even his post-reveal self seemed a bit complex and entertaining, provided you looked past his weak motives.

Mawt

In all fairness, Obito WAS a genuinely awesome character at times, arguably even post-reveal. He had some killer lines and his backstory was still pretty sad by all accounts, and his heroic child self and villainous Masked Man self were both legitimately awesome in their own ways. Even his post-reveal self seemed a bit complex and entertaining, provided you looked past his weak motives.
Masked Obito was one of the rawest, most badass and intimidating characters in the whole story imo.

And as you said, unmasked Obito was also still quite complex and there's a lot to dissect about his character, even if his backstory and motives could've been written a tad better.

Aegon Targaryen

There is the possibility those two were really Byakugan fans and they latched onto Kaguya (or her profile picture, at least) as she was awesome and relevant powerwise compared to most other Byakugan wielders, while more interesting and memorable than the likes of Momoshiki and Toneri. Some of them seem to be doing the same with Boruto too for similar reasons :hm

OT, sometimes I wonder if Dragon Ball would ever have its own War Arc. They already copied Byakugan and Susano'o and gave Jiren and Granolah Sasuke-like backstories, after all :catsleep

Mawt

There is the possibility those two were really Byakugan fans and they latched onto Kaguya (or her profile picture, at least) as she was awesome and relevant powerwise compared to most other Byakugan wielders, while more interesting and memorable than the likes of Momoshiki and Toneri. Some of them seem to be doing the same with Boruto too for similar reasons :hm
Both of them are indeed huge Byakugan simps. Ultrafragor is probably the biggest Hyuga apologist on the board. And IIRC Hina used to argue that pre-TS Neji could beat Sakura or something along those lines. :mikebatman

Breadman

#1 Kale Fan
I may watch the anime version when (and if) it comes out, especially given that Kubo is supposed to have a hand in it.

Idk, man. I barely see any profile pictures or sigs or even memorable quotes featuring or referring to any of those characters (maybe one or two? Three?), and that has been the case for me since 2020. I never hear of them come up in any other context either, like when people are asked their favorite anime villains/characters or well-written anime characters. I may hear of Aizen as a response to the former and Byakuya as a response to the latter, but never Bazz B or As Nodt or whoever else.

Well they ARE arc villains, which is probably why. Arc villains almost never garner the same level of popularity as long-running villains do, so it's kind of an unfair comparison. They are less fleshed out and given less panel time than someone like Aizen or Obito or Madara who were allowed to stew throughout the story for hundreds of chapters. Plus, anime almost always has a farther reach than the manga, so the fact that the TYBW hasn't been adapted means they haven't been exposed to the anime community save for the hardcore Bleach fans that stuck with the final arc even after the anime ended.

A better comparison would be to compare them to other arc villains, like the Doflamingo Family from One Piece or Oracion Seis from Fairy Tail. Which, as previously mentioned, even then isn't totally fair because they all got to be animated while Bleach hasn't.

Aegon Targaryen

Well they ARE arc villains, which is probably why. Arc villains almost never garner the same level of popularity as long-running villains do, so it's kind of an unfair comparison. They are less fleshed out and given less panel time than someone like Aizen or Obito or Madara who were allowed to stew throughout the story for hundreds of chapters. Plus, anime almost always has a farther reach than the manga, so the fact that the TYBW hasn't been adapted means they haven't been exposed to the anime community save for the hardcore Bleach fans that stuck with the final arc even after the anime ended.

A better comparison would be to compare them to other arc villains, like the Doflamingo Family from One Piece or Oracion Seis from Fairy Tail. Which, as previously mentioned, even then isn't totally fair because they all got to be animated while Bleach hasn't.

I'm not entirely sure I buy the animated argument, as the Bleach fandom does clearly read the manga and care a lot about what happens in there (hence their joy at seeing TYBW being adapted). Not saying it's wrong, just not sure how strong it really is. Bleach is a popular enough manga that even if I account for the lack of an animated TYBW arc, the lack of respect or fans for those characters you mentioned is kinda...glaring. AMVs and stuff only go so far, IMO.

Doflamingo is pretty popular, though (idk about the Fairy Tail guy, maybe because Fairy Tail sucks lol) :catthinks

I see profile pictures and/or sigs of that guy everywhere and his quote about whoever winning deciding what justice is...is also pretty famous.

Breadman

#1 Kale Fan
I'm not entirely sure I buy the animated argument, as the Bleach fandom does clearly read the manga and care a lot about what happens in there (hence their joy at seeing TYBW being adapted). Not saying it's wrong, just not sure how strong it really is. Bleach is a popular enough manga that even if I account for the lack of an animated TYBW arc, the lack of respect or fans for those characters you mentioned is kinda...glaring. AMVs and stuff only go so far, IMO.

Doflamingo is pretty popular, though (idk about the Fairy Tail guy, maybe because Fairy Tail sucks lol) :catthinks

I see profile pictures and/or sigs of that guy everywhere and his quote about whoever winning deciding what justice is...is also pretty famous.

I said arc villains, Doflamingo is a character that was in several arcs over almost the entirety of the series. I meant his family that was introduced in the DR arc.

You'd be surprised at how much influence the anime has on things. Sure, you have the DEDICATED Bleach fans, but what about anime fans in general that get hooked into things by things they see on social media? You see animated clips getting shared around much more than single manga panels. It is imperative to not underestimate the power video clips has when it comes to sharing information and influencing others. Hell, it's how I got hooked on Bleach to begin with. Without the anime I would've never known about the series.

Aegon Targaryen

I said arc villains, Doflamingo is a character that was in several arcs over almost the entirety of the series. I meant his family that was introduced in the DR arc.

You'd be surprised at how much influence the anime has on things. Sure, you have the DEDICATED Bleach fans, but what about anime fans in general that get hooked into things by things they see on social media? You see animated clips getting shared around much more than single manga panels. It is imperative to not underestimate the power video clips has when it comes to sharing information and influencing others. Hell, it's how I got hooked on Bleach to begin with. Without the anime I would've never known about the series.

Eh, maybe you are right. Anime did introduce me to Bleach (and Naruto), after all.

One Piece, hilariously, would be the opposite; technically the anime did introduce me to it, but the manga is the reason I cared to get into it.

AnimePhanatic

Off topic, don't wanna make a thread for it

Which do I read first? Adventures of Sinbad or Magi, they're in the same verse as far as I'm aware of

Keishin

The TYBW sounds even worse than Wano. I haven't read it and my logic may be flimsy, but the fact none of the villains seem particularly popular among the Bleach community isn't a good sign, IMO. Even Laido and Big Meme still had/have fans, as do Obito and Kaguya. It also seems to lack the moral complexity of the Naruto War Arc or the epic stories of Wano (mainly Oden, Yamato, and Oden's retainers).
No, TYBW is far better than Ninja War. I wonder what moral complexity Ninja War had that you are thinking about but TYBW definitely has more of that from the pure fact that they aren't zombies and trees that the shinigami are fighting.

There aren't many arcs worse than ninja war and TYBW definitely isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom