• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.
  • More languages + Cat Dank + Tooltip Feature for Reactions were added ! (see preferences) More to come!

• Please check this: link regarding changes in PotW and GotW schedules!
    - Contest Central

• "Lifestyle Lounge: Thread of the Month Contest!"
    Come make a fun thread in the Lifestyle Lounge! Deadline is September 30th, 2021.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Prediction One Piece Chapter 1026 Prediction/Discussion Thread (break this week)

Firo

Cruelty, courage, respect towards his opponents and there are a few more lines brought to define his character. Your hate for the character clouds your mind and makes you expect the guy to be as complex as a novel main character. We're talking about a shonen where the MC is Luffy, who is defined by the fact that he loves his nakama and wants to become the PK, that's about it.
You just explained simple concepts that most villains share.:mjlol

Firo

So what is your complaint then? Also since when do most villains respect their opponents
He’s one dimensional. No charisma, no strategy, no interesting character dynamic with other characters, doesn’t seem to be too bright. Design is also kinda meh.
He’s just strong. That’s literally it.:scust

Eustathios

What Kaido lacks IMO are clear motives and goals behind his action or even his character. All we know is that he's a strong guy that wants to die, but he can't and he wants to start a war. That's not enough to make you a great villain.

As I said in WB's case, the motivation behind the action is the most powerful element. It's one thing seeing a badass legend wreck everyone in his path despite being sick. Left at that, it would be pretty bland. When you know that he's sacrificing himself for his son and his family though, it adds nuance and depth to the character. In simple terms, it makes you wanna root for him. It makes him relatable.

In Kaido's case, he enslaved Wano, but we didn't really have any strong connection to Wano as readers anyway. He's a strong psychopath up to this point, but still a far cry from the villains Crocodile, Doffy or Lucci were.

forkandspoon

The only things that never end
“In Japanese folklore, pheasants were considered messengers from heaven”

Y’all
ready for Oden to show up via mythical pheasant zoan hiyori?

El Hit

MODS=^ (not the meaning of the word "respect".)
He’s one dimensional. No charisma, no strategy, no interesting character dynamic with other characters, doesn’t seem to be too bright. Design is also kinda meh.
He’s just strong. That’s literally it.:scust
He is so pathethic he tried to torture a kid with líes only to later kill him, when Momo told him to fuck off and he Made a dumb angry face I knew I would never like him, he is trash in every aspect and Even fucking Momo its more charismatic :mjlol

forkandspoon

The only things that never end
My biggest problem with Kaido is his crew … I wish Oda would’ve developed them more… like how we saw the vinsmokes at war before meeting BM and what not….

Oda should have had The flying 6 and the numbers go fuck up Doflamingo’s crew or something. While I loved seeing SHs getting some one on one fights finally… the flying 6 were a little flat on the development side.

Imagine seeing Black Maria defeat Diamante or Ulti 1 shot Pica…

That would’ve made the SH fights much better… instead of the flying 6 being introduced as chumps Groveling for Kaido’s junk.

I wouldn't say Kaidou is garbage. And there is more to him than just being the strongest. But he's not a very good antagonist.

Not enough is known about him or why he does things.

I think feeling regret about Oden is literally the only topical trait he has.

Mihawk

Warrior of Asgard
My biggest problem with Kaido is his crew … I wish Oda would’ve developed them more… like how we saw the vinsmokes at war before meeting BM and what not….

Oda should have had The flying 6 and the numbers go fuck up Doflamingo’s crew or something. While I loved seeing SHs getting some one on one fights finally… the flying 6 were a little flat on the development side.

Imagine seeing Black Maria defeat Diamante or Ulti 1 shot Pica…

That would’ve made the SH fights much better… instead of the flying 6 being introduced as chumps Groveling for Kaido’s junk.
This.

Seeing Jack wreck shit for example was great. I wish Kaido’s crew had some bonafide badasses though...like some Lu Bu or Nosferatu Zodd shit tho that’s probably expecting too much

Mihawk

Warrior of Asgard
What Kaido kinda suffers from is just Oda’s formulaic writing...whatever villainous traits he has, we’ve seen it before. And also the structure of it being another “Let’s free X town/country #274737 from tyrant #8” kinda gets old after a while. Imagine if the crew actually had to run from Kaido throughout the NW or something as he was pursuing them while attempting suicide like he accidentally did when he came across Kidd and them. Like he was actually a threat they couldn’t confront and had to keep moving cus he was hot on their trail. Oda could’ve structured the VS Yonko saga a lot more interesting...

like another user pointed out he’s had like 10 years of build up..maybe even more. The expectations were likely too massive and while he lives up to his strength, role, and overall influence and then some...you kinda wish there was more nuance to him.

I don't mind the kingdom plot be reused over and over again.

It makes sense in the context of the story on just who these people are and what the SHs do.

Especially since the whole story is going to end of a Massive War that is all about ending the WG rule over the world.

So I don't think that affects Kaidou he actually has perfectly good reason he wants Wano. Something the reader doesn't know yet. However we do know Wano is pivatol for the series as it's needed for the Final War. And it's opening up it's boarders is something that is impossible to do for some reason.

Top Bottom