Oda waited too long to give some characterisation to King

San Juan Wolf

They're even better when you're dead
The dude was literally a faceless non-entity until he got defeated, whereafter the sudden flashbacks were shoved in to make us care about the guy.

The thing about how attached to Kaido King is needed to be hinted at before the raid, instead this deep personal history between them was shoved into a few panels right as he's taken down by Zoro.

Anyone have any idea why that might be ? Did he just forget to put it in before or did he really not think this up until it was too late to put it in any less awkward spot ?

Captain Quincy

"The hole in your heart is something other people can fill." - Kakashi Hatake
Anyone have any idea why that might be ?
Wano is overcrowded IMO

King was forced to share screentime with a bajillion others. He's one of the most interesting characters in Wano to me so I'm a bit disappointed we didn't start exploring his character until late into the arc lol.

Nardoguey

Kaido himself lacks characterization
Oda spent too much time on scabbards, - snip- his stand in Oden, and on subplots nobody cared about this arc

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Quincy

"The hole in your heart is something other people can fill." - Kakashi Hatake
I don't get why people think Oden is Oda's self insert. I don't think Oda views himself like anywhere near a gigachad lol.

T-Bag

The Strongest
king is just there..he's filler character so to speak.

In fact I'm surprised he even got a flashback.

Last edited:

Nardoguey

I don't get why people think Oden is Oda's self insert. I don't think Oda views himself like anywhere near a gigachad lol.
You are right

Oden is Oda's ideal japanese, he's the gigachad fantacized japanese feudal overlord ( which says a lot of Oda's morals because Oden is a wifecucker, and quite scummy from his early days )

Oda wanked him to death because of his nationality obviously, which most people dont give a shit about

Terrible character really

Virus

Ubi pus, ibi evacua
Overcrowded. One piece got worse as soon Oda started to increase screen time for side characters. Also none of the main antagonist actually want to deal with the strawhats. I miss the time where the main antagonist chased the strawhats i.e. Enel im skypiea and Rob lucci in W7.

What we have now is Kaido and company basically sitting back waiting for the raid and when the raid happens we only see gifters who actually go after the strawhats. Queen does what? He infects everyone including his own crew while King orders around F6 instead of going on a hunt himself.

Serenity

Still. Not. Bitten.
Should have had him have a conversation with Kaido hinting more toward his past before he charged off to attack BM ship, then had more of an exchange with Big Mom conversation wise.

Then pre-raid as the Yonko are planning their alliance maybe have him discussing things again with Kaido.

MartyMcFly1

Danger is my middle name!
You are right

Oden is Oda's ideal japanese, he's the gigachad fantacized japanese feudal overlord ( which says a lot of Oda's morals because Oden is a wifecucker, and quite scummy from his early days )

Oda wanked him to death because of his nationality obviously, which most people dont give a shit about

Terrible character really
You’re not exactly wrong. This applies to Zoro too. The Japanese member of the Strawhats.

I liked the Oden flashback tho.

Last edited:

Amol

Chief of Wisdom
King himself was a nobody.
Easily the worst YFM.

He just got overwanked because he was Zoro's opponent.

Lunarian Race is very interesting but as an individual King didn't shine much. We didn't even find much about race either.

Oda should have introduced King and Queen much sooner and should have spent more time around them. Oda has this bad tendency to tell everything there is to know about villain character at the time of his defeat.

IMO fight should only be fight. Characterization is something you do lot before.

mosaab

king,Queen and Sanji all suffer because oda had to wank zoro on the roof top.

if zoro doesn't go to the roof top he and Sanji start their fights at the beginning of the raid and through out it like the katakurI fight.

Lawliet

I mean, it was king who handed Kaidou the sword to behead orochi. King and Kaidou were always in wavelength communication, they never had to talk

blueWaves

Yeah, King' backstory was a it rushed. Lunarin wasn't a thing until Queen mentioned the 1st time. I think even Oda is biting off more than he can chew with the cast in wano. There's just too many characters to go threw.

Adhominem

Wait but why
Oda always does this.

It sometimes pays off, but when it does pay off its for a character that people didn't give a shit about that suddenly becomes awesome e.g. Senor Pink being an absolutely legendary character with a great story.

It disappoints such as in this case when it's a pretty central character that seems bland until the end when people were waiting from the getgo for the delivery on the promise

Milkomeda

Character building was never Odas strong point so Im not surprised King was treated like this but I watch this series and get hooked on it because of the world building since he is top notch at that.

MartyMcFly1

Danger is my middle name!
We didn’t really need characterization of King though. Very few of Zoro’s other opponents got any characterization as well. His role in the story is done.

9TalesOfDestruction

I hate filler
It wouldn't be all that bad if Oda didn't spend so much time on stuff that didn't matter. You could cut out the extra fights with the scabbards and we'd be about 20 chapters ahead and wouldn't have missed anything plot wise.

Bernkastel

Welcome child of man
Agreed.
He was basically a glorified bdsm doll for the entire arc...even Queen and Jack got more depth than him which is sad as the lunarian race seems very interesting and we could've gotten some really juicy info through him.

San Juan Wolf

They're even better when you're dead
Agreed.
He was basically a glorified bdsm doll for the entire arc...even Queen and Jack got more depth than him which is sad as the lunarian race seems very interesting and we could've gotten some really juicy info through him.
Also his design was just Shiryuu with a mask on :lmao

Top Bottom