Marvel Month challenge

I think the battle in Avengers is possibly "better" than the one in Endgame, though.

In the latter there is SO MUCH GOING ON that it's hard to keep track of where everyone is in relation to one another. Whereas here you have only six characters flying around the relatively small space of Manhattan. Setting the battle in a real-world city rather than in "featureless wasteland" also raises the emotional stakes for people who have some familiarity with New York geography.
Yeah got the same feeling for uh endgame overwhelms the viewers. ~_~
Too much on a big screen.

I think the battle in Avengers is possibly "better" than the one in Endgame, though.

In the latter there is SO MUCH GOING ON that it's hard to keep track of where everyone is in relation to one another. Whereas here you have only six characters flying around the relatively small space of Manhattan. Setting the battle in a real-world city rather than in "featureless wasteland" also raises the emotional stakes for people who have some familiarity with New York geography.
Wat

Nothing was hard to watch in endgame. The viewer is supposed to keep their eyes on the infinity gauntlet. Thats where the stakes were. On top of endgame having some of the best bouts in cinema history (Mjolnir Cap vs Thanos in particular).

People who are familiar with New York, dont care about New York, That was a poverty battle in comparison. Loki couldnt last 2 rounds with anyone and those alien robots with zero personality got their shit wrecked

dr_shadow

Iron Man 3 the "least good" instalment so far. If this was originally written as Tony's exit from the saga (possibly due to uncertainty about Downey's future commitment to the franchise?), it was a pretty anticlimactic resolution to his arc. Although I did like the idea that superheroes can get PTSD from all the weird shit they go through.

Also the post-credits scene shows Tony talking to Bruce, which implies that the next movie is going to be Hulk 2, but then it actually goes to Thor 2.

Some details like that in the earlier movies make you feel like Feige maybe isn't the 32D Chess master with plans 50 years into the future that we imagine him to be. Sometimes he adjusts things on the fly. Like, having both Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2 be in Phase 1 (when you would expect Black Widow in Phase 1) was probably about uncertainty about whether there would even be more than one "phase", so better to capitalize on the success of Iron Man 1 with a sequel while people still remember the first one.

---

By the way, because Iron Man 3 is a PG-13 movie, when women get "Extremis" powers and heat up to several thousand degrees celsius, their clothes don't burn up.

:catskully

Last edited:

dr_shadow

I ended up kind of liking Thor: The Dark World. At first I thought the "Dark Elves" being the villains sounded too goofy, but their spaceships (and space itself) has a gorgeous design, even if slightly derivative of Predator.

I wonder if there is like only one "spaceship designer" working in Hollywood at the moment, because a lot of the ships in the MCU, Star Wars, Dune etc. have a similar look to them.

Winter Soldier is the best Captain America movie.

when Winter Soldier was released in 2014, it was arguably a contender for best comic book movie ever

Best action choreography so far for sure. I think Cap is turning into my favourite Avenger.

Big Bob

King Bobbert
Guardians of the Galaxy is always fun to watch. Going into space to explore is something we should see more of imo.

The accents for SW and QS in AoU was pretty cringey, I forgot how annoying they were compared to what it is now. James Spader is always great in any of his roles and was the best part of the movie i'd say.

Big Bob

King Bobbert
Antman was a fun movie, Paul Rudd is always good to see. Yellowjacket was kinda lame though hopefully Peter Russo comes back someday at least, dude needs a win.

Civil War, kind of a let down in terms of following the comic version but it was still an enjoyable movie. Tom Hollands Spider-Man intro, splitting the team up, Rhodey getting crippled, the truth on Tonys parents death were all interesting moments and some of them even having big consequences to come later on in the series.

~Gesy~

Freshly drenched in coochie water
Antman was a fun movie, Paul Rudd is always good to see. Yellowjacket was kinda lame though hopefully Peter Russo comes back someday at least, dude needs a win.

Civil War, kind of a let down in terms of following the comic version but it was still an enjoyable movie. Tom Hollands Spider-Man intro, splitting the team up, Rhodey getting crippled, the truth on Tonys parents death were all interesting moments and some of them even having big consequences to come later on in the series.
Yeah civil war was a turning point

dr_shadow

It's nice that most Marvel movies are consistently almost exactly 180 minutes, broken up into three 40-minute segments punctuated by action scenes. Pay attention to if there isn't an action scene at the 40 minute mark and 80 minute mark in the next one you watch. ;)

Once you discover this structure it's easy to plan you viewing into 40-minute sessions.

dr_shadow

Made a little overview of the progress of each sub-series in the MCU:

1Iron Man (2008)Iron Man 2 (2010)Iron Man 3 (2013)
2Hulk (2008)
3Thor (2011)Thor 2 (2013)Thor 3 (2017)Thor 4 (2022)
4Captain America (2011)Captain America 2 (2014)Captain America 3 (2016)
5Avengers (2012)Avengers 2 (2015)Avengers 3 (2018)Avengers 4 (2019)
6Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (2017)
7Ant-Man (2015)Ant-Man 2 (2018)
8Doctor Strange (2016)Doctor Strange 2 (2022)
9Spider-Man (2017)Spider-Man 2 (2019)Spider-Man 3 (2021)
10Black Panther (2018)Black Panther 2 (2022)
11Captain Marvel (2019)
12Black Widow (2021)
13Shang-Chi (2021)
14Eternals (2021)

The feeling is that they're not going to make more solo Hulk movies due to rights issues with Universal, which means that -a little surprisingly- the Guardians are currently the "senior" sub-series. Both that one and the next-senior Ant-Man series seem set to conclude this year, which will make Strange the senior series.

Top Bottom