• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.
  • More languages + Cat Dank + Tooltip Feature for Reactions were added ! (see preferences) More to come!

• Please check this: link regarding changes in PotW and GotW schedules!
    - Contest Central

• "Lifestyle Lounge: Thread of the Month Contest!"
    Come make a fun thread in the Lifestyle Lounge! Deadline is September 30th, 2021.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

Luffy Already Awakened (2 Types of Awakening)

Munboy Dracule O'Brian

I'm aware there is chatter about Luffy's awakening, whether it will be Gear 5, and whether he will use it against Kaido or after Wano. But, what if he's been using awakening since before the time skip?

Gears: I'm asserting that the Gears are awakening.

The premise is that there are 2 types of awakening:

1. Enhancement Awakenings: these are awakenings like Gears, other examples are like the awakened Zoans, and I would even rope in Maggelen's Poison Guardian. The initial devil levels up, and they can be expanded on as you see with Chopper's various forms, Luffy's G3 and G4 and arguably Lucci's .

2. Environmental Awakenings: these awakenings are the ones. We've likely seen Logia users use this too.

I'm assuming it is possible for a DF user to obtain both as Croc mentioned DF users can train to master their powers. We're unsure what the conditions for #2 are, except that all the users so far have been COC users. With #1 it might have to do with modifying the user's transformations in a way that enhances as demonstrated through Luffy, Chopper, Magellan and Lucci's transformations additional forms.

How did I come to this conclusion? The "awakening" poses.

Compare the established awakened users we've seen so far use Luffy in Ennies Lobby:

Looks similar, particularly compared to Katakuri

Spoiler: For reference, if you want to see the Logia's I was referencing; the Zoans and Magellan never did this IIRC

Re Magellan, though he never did this in the anime, in the manga he arguably could have done this pose in the manga off-panel between the time he was and made .

This would imply Zoan users could use environmental-based awakenings and Logias have the enhancement awakening while the paramecia types have the best of both worlds with Luffy being the first character that would demonstrate both assuming this theory has any merit.

I've mentioned something about this before, but it didn't really properly "click" to me until I thought Luffy's G2 pose could have signified it. It could also explain potentially why we didn't have any real training for it if his power awakened. Of course, a point against this could be Luffy wanted to try this power, but you could counterargue that point and say DF users happen to have some innate knowledge of their powers once they obtain it, perhaps it's similar to awakening before they train them further.

Of course, awakening/Haki are "relatively" new in the story, despite it not feeling so. Just my 2 cents on the awakening on the subject.

Munboy Dracule O'Brian

UPDATE:

Looking through the Amazon Lilly and Impel Down Arcs again.

1. The Boa Sisters' Snake Hair techniques. [] [].

Arguably this is a preview of how way Zoans can affect the environment with their devil fruit. In this example, let's say instead of using their hair to create more snakes, using buildings, walls, or the ground to generate more snakes. Naturally, you can see how this applies to other Zoans, and potentially their extra forms.

With that in mind, you could add that the hair manipulation is another form of awakening I.E breathing life into themselves (or environment) for zoans to generate paramecia/logia) effects.

For paramecias, breathing life in their elements, think Magellan's Hydra and Venom Demon techniques.
It is probable logias can replicate this.

2. As to why the awakened Zoans in Impel Down could not control their forms. I wouldn't say it is due to Haki, or anything like that. Chopper has no conquerers, yet he's able to control it after the time skip similar to how Luffy had better control over G2-G3 post time skip and even acquired G4.

3. Re Maggelan I was wrong. In the anime, he had that pose before using Venom Demon (which I am asserting is his awakening similar to Luffy's Gears).
Spoiler:

Granted he was punched and had no choice but to fall like that, but he remained in that pose even after all the cannons were shot at him prior to activating the higher level venom.

Last edited:

icyBankai

Bankai
Good thread, OP! I also wondered for a while if Luffy's mastery of his fruit is the result of him being awakened and truly understanding all uses of it.

Perhaps logias awakenings change the environment, Zoan's give accelerated recovery and durability, and paramecia's are unique applications of their specific powers.

Oda still hasn't explained awakening for the Beast Pirates so maybe awakening explanations will take a few more years until it comes out in a databook.

Munboy Dracule O'Brian

Good thread, OP! I also wondered for a while if Luffy's mastery of his fruit is the result of him being awakened and truly understanding all uses of it.

Perhaps logias awakenings change the environment, Zoan's give accelerated recovery and durability, and paramecia's are unique applications of their specific powers.

Oda still hasn't explained awakening for the Beast Pirates so maybe awakening explanations will take a few more years until it comes out in a databook.

IMO the awakening seems to be similar to acquiring the fruit where you seem to know everything about it. It would explain how Luffy knew the basics of G2/G3 before he mastered them during the time skip.

I'm being bold with the prediction that awakening comes in multiple forms (internal, like Luffy/Zoans and some examples I cited; along with the external).

I won't be surprised if we have to wait for Vegapunk rn. :(

Munboy Dracule O'Brian

UPDATE 3

It is possible at some point Zoans had to use that pose until they master their (internal) awakened powers. An example would be Luffy pre-time skip using Gear 2, then not needing to use said pose post-time skip. However, for (external) awakened powers, this does not seem to apply.

I recalled that Luffy no longer used the "awakening pose" prior to using Gear 2 since the time skip. That also indicates certain drawbacks can be worked around, but we knew that such as Monster Point, G2 and G3's drawbacks.

G4 might fit the pattern or require a separate theory since it seems Luffy (so far) is the only one to link a DF (awakening, by this theory) power to his Haki hence he's the only one who seems to run out of Haki.

Top Bottom