I feel like my drawing is missing something and now it looks stiff

kingjr9000

As a study in character color palette, shading, and simple character design, I don't think he looks that bad. The pose may look a bit awkward, but other than that and the left ankle being a bit thinner than the other leg, he doesn't look that bad. The pants look pretty good, the shirt looks like I could have used a different shade of color to shadow the creases so they pop more. I've also started to begin working on the hands and trying to properly draw shoes (just need to design some that I like). Let me know what you think.

kingjr9000

Another one. I should be getting the hands better within a few days once I get used to drawing the palm and figuring out the size of the hand. The shoes? Those are going to take just a little bit longer since I need to figure out what kind of shoe i want to draw.

kingjr9000

Took me all day to get my groove back after I deviated from refining my original drawing method and tried to draw like the earlier naruto manga work. That didn't work out so well since I couldn't get my thought together, nor figure out what kind of pose to draw. I tried to break down the faces and I couldn't even get a basic face right, so I went back to my original method. I ended up moving over to the "real G-pen" in clip studio for the lineart and eyes and it seems to be working better than the basic "G-pen". But back to the image itself.

The hands are getting better, the poses need to be worked back up after my mental and artistic crash today. The face needs to be repeated at different angles for me to be able to say I'm strong in that style, the method with the waist seems to be stable, the legs are getting better once I figure out what poses to put them in. Extreme poses with the body and legs need to be refined, drawing through the image is getting better and easier and I'm getting used to it more so I can figure out how to draw twists and turns of the body easier. The shoes are becoming easier to draw since I'm figuring out what I want to draw.

This drawing is I think my current favorite since "Toon-Megamon" doesn't count since he's more of a creature/non-human drawing. I like everything about it aside from the weird shoulder position that I see now on the left side of the figure. But aside from that, I really like this drawing.

One more thing, I'm going to start having more confidence in myself, my skills, and my art and stop comparing myself to professional or other artist that have been at this for basically a decade more than me. Like @Smoke said, I have made a lot of improvement over the course of the year. I'm in a really good mood right now since going back to my original method after crashing earlier today. So thanks to everyone that has helped me, encouraged me, and kept me going over the year.

Thank you everyone
:kannawave

kingjr9000

Update from sunday. It took me a whole 7 hours to come up with a design advancement from yesterday, well technically it took me 4 hours for the design and 3 hours to figure out how to color it, but it was weeelllll worth it. I had to watch a few character design videos to figure out what would make a "good design." So I did a new one today with some changes from yesterday. I tried to keep a similar face/mask/helmet-like thing from the first drawing, but either it couldn't be repeated or it wasn't that good looking from the start, so I trashed the idea. The original sketch/idea was to have round shoulders and a slim waist with slim hips and slim legs like omegamon, but then I realized it looked quite a bit off and weird but not in a good way. Then I also realized the direction I was heading in wasn't what my character was supposed to symbolize. He is supposed to symbolize stealthiness and brutality. So I had to think up what would symbolize stealth and brutality along with strength. So I thought about wide and sharp shoulders (since he isn't human), a slim waist but in a different design to what I originally had and some form and amount of spikes.

I have figured out a way to design the MC's race and that is by using the design language of their core. His design language was "Triangles". His head, chest, shoulders, arm spikes, waist, hips, knees, and feet (especially claws) are all based on a variation of the triangle. I may have done this the wrong way, but in the end it worked out. The spikes going around his shoulders and jutting out of them are there to make him look aggressive and somewhat dangerous. The core design in his chest is also based off a bunch of triangles. Originally I had it inside a circle so it more resembles an actual "core" but the more I looked at it it not only looked small, but it also looked a little weird. So I took it out, erased some extra lines, enlarged it placed it in the center of the chest and drew a line going all the way down to the crotch. Then I wrapped the line with even more triangles and added the lines for the abdomen.

The arms initially looked super bare so I tried to think about what to add to make it look a bit more brutal and still be stealthy. So initially I had the spikes wrapping around his wrist and going down, but that looked a bit like wolverine and I didnt want that. Then I changed it to go up to around the base of the shoulder spikes, but then it looked off. So after some hours, i decided to try it around the elbows going down, and that looked pretty good. The knees are inspired from omegamon, but with more triangles. For the feet, I originally had rectangular feet, but after sitting on it and drawing the rest of the body, I thought the simple rectangle feet looked out of place. Then I decided to try something more like no feet and only having legs that looked like something out of "Zone of the Enders", but then I thought that looked nice, but it felt wrong on the character, so i trashed the idea as well. Then I landed on claws after thinking it over. Initially I thought claws would be unnatural since they really were animalistic in design, but then i realized claws were also triangles and they also were sharp and sharpness is one of the defining features of the MC's race.

After getting the design settled on, I moved on to coloring. I had no idea on what color I wanted him to be other than "sapphire blue." So initially I painted the entire body a dark shade of blue, but the I realized that it looked like the first design trial I did, and I immediately went back to figure out what color to color what and how to color what. After some time, I figured it out and began to color. Then I remembered that clip studio has layer blending modes and I used them this time on the highlighting and shading and I t honestly looks SOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!

It looks proper. It looks clean. It looks smooth. It looks amazing...

Honestly, for the time it took, I'm glad it looks this good.

The reason why I have a black background is because I wanted to try out the silhouette test and see if I can make it recognizable as something unique. Since I don't know about a lot of other character designs that would be similar to this in other people's works among things like manga and webtoons, so i think some designs along these lines should be recognizable as in "I know who that unique design is." The color choice is my interpretation of something stealthy and the potential to be brutal in the right lighting. The light color you see on the right side of the body is light hitting it and likewise, the other side is the shadows.

If you read all of that and made it to the bottom, thank you. I put a lot of work into those paragraphs and information, so I appreciate that you read it all. :kannawave

The set contains 3 images. The first one is the silhouette blue lines, the second one is the full image, and the third is the original design. Click on the image and zoom in to get a clearer look at it.

PS. Still working on the hands .

Last edited:

kingjr9000

As an update from these three posts, I've gotten better at drawing hands along with directed lighted shading. The face looks better as well. I will probably need to work on the creases in clothes, but other than that, I thin it looks pretty good. especially with the black background.

kingjr9000

Last update was in october I see...hmm. Two things I've learned since the previous post, cel-shading is a little bit more difficult than I thought it would be for what I'm working on, so soft shading with a soft airbrush seems to work better for how I draw it seems for now. I am working on hands, shoes, and a few other things at the moment. I'm also learning how to draw inside of the panels with CSP's pre-made panels.

Charmed

Forever Charmed
Same.
Trying to refine what I have.
I drew my profile pic xD
Listen, y'know I'm working on my manga, right? Wouldn't you like to design a character for it? Like, I already have 4 fanmade characters! (2 from US, 1 from Brazil, 1 from Venezuela).
A sketch and a description of your character is all I need.

kingjr9000

I drew my profile pic xD
Listen, y'know I'm working on my manga, right? Wouldn't you like to design a character for it? Like, I already have 4 fanmade characters! (2 from US, 1 from Brazil, 1 from Venezuela).
A sketch and a description of your character is all I need.
I’d love to, but I’m still having trouble coming up with some solid pieces of fashion myself.

kingjr9000

Hello art section. How are you all doing? Hope all is well. Didn’t feel like posting this anywhere else, mostly because I wasn’t too sure how it would fly with the mods.
:kannawave

Top Bottom