Hunter x Hunter Chapter 396 Spoilers/Discussion

Skyfall

I really hope we get 20 chapters this time around. Or else we're not gonna be getting much action. Although the phantom troupe backstory is needed, if only I knew there wasn't a hiatus right around the corner. =(

Jackalinthebox

I’m all for this lol. This flashback has been planned for over 20+ years. This chapter we learn that the Troupe part of their name is in reference to their origins as an acting troupe among other things. Really interesting how kid Chrollo’s characterization ties into his adult self.

Louis-954

I really hope we get 20 chapters this time around. Or else we're not gonna be getting much action. Although the phantom troupe backstory is needed, if only I knew there wasn't a hiatus right around the corner. =(
We still have 14 chapters left homie. I'm sure there's plenty of glorious moments to come before the next hiatus!

Jackalinthebox

The nods to the Troupe’s future abilities have been really cool details. Last chapter; we had Paku getting told by Chrollo that she can read people like a book. And this chapter; we have Chrollo seamlessly playing so many different characters.

Mawt

Would assume Sarasa will be kidnapped & face a horrible death that will have a huge impact on the Troupe. :catcry
Do you think the kidnappers are kurta? Or at least associated with them in some way? :hm

Also, I wonder if togashi will cover the troupe members killed by Hisoka and Silva. Or if they’re just nameless.

Mylesime

Only one feeling witnessing this flashback.....
The Genei Ryodan did nothing wrong.
They didn't attack Yorkshin city for no reasons, it was retaliation.
Didn't know Sarasa a week ago, yet i'm not ready for the tragedy that's about to happen.

Jackalinthebox

Do you think the kidnappers are kurta? Or at least associated with them in some way? :hm

Also, I wonder if togashi will cover the troupe members killed by Hisoka and Silva. Or if they’re just nameless.
It’s certainly possible. They could also have ended up killing Shiela. We’ll likely get some answers next week. Btw, next chapter is the tree chapter that Togashi kept focusing on on his Twitter.

Doubt we get to see that far ahead, as much as I’d love to. Both killings take place at least a couple years after the Kurta Massacre.

Stilzkin

Only one feeling witnessing this flashback.....
The Genei Ryodan did nothing wrong.
They didn't attack Yorkshin city for no reasons, it was retaliation.
Didn't know Sarasa a week ago, yet i'm not ready for the tragedy that's about to happen.

Not sure if we should see Yorkshin in that light.

I was previously under the impression that the spiders were like hunters. They desire to be challenged and be masters in their field. Their field just happens to be thievery.

If most of the cases we know of them end up being acts of revenge it would kind of rob them of that.

Pliskin

I was previously under the impression that the spiders were like hunters. They desire to be challenged and be masters in their field. Their field just happens to be thievery.

If most of the cases we know of them end up being acts of revenge it would kind of rob them of that.
Also, a good chunck of the troupe joined after the flashback happened.

Revenge as their central motif wouldn't really feel right.

Shunsuiju

Learning how the troupe got their name is such a treat. I wonder where the "phantom" part comes in.

rip sarasa
Do you think the kidnappers are kurta?
i think they're just mafia working for the government.
i dont see it like that.

the troupe are complete nihilists. chrollo doesnt see a difference between a puppet and a human. whatever happens here will change the way they view the world in general. they had a chance to become good people, but the world robbed them of that.

Mylesime

What i take from this flashback is that the Spiders are "artists" that love to perform.
They were clearly performers, wanted to entertain Meteor City's children from the start.
The requiem for Uvo , who loved the spotlights. And The squads name are more meaningful with hindsight.

But from a pragmatic standpoint, we were given some hints that add layers:
-Nobunaga said that the Troupe was like the Hei ly family at the begining, but finally found a purpose.
The elders had always big hopes for them, specially Chrollo.
It confirms what we learned during the Chimera ants arc, their philantropic job is to protect Meteor City.

What the Mafia used to do then was known, but seeing them do that shit in live to one of the original member of the troupe, the lil girl that acted as a buffer and a middle girl between the strongest personalities (Phinks and Uvo were agressive and confrontational, despite wanting to be part of the initiative deep down) of the squad is way more impactful.
Sarasa embodies why it has always been personal between the troupe and the Mafia.

That also explains what Nobunaga was telling to Feitan and Phinks, the troupe has motives and doesn't want to simply destroy the world for the sake of it.

They became what they are because they had to, to protect Meteor City.

Those flashbacks are explaining everything.
Sheila is also likely the explanation for what they did to the Kurta clan.

Seeing Chrollo like that as a child, while remembering how he is now is powerful.
They made him a psycho a cold blooded killer, in order to survive with his people, nice parallel with Kurapika.

Last edited:

Yasha

Procreate
Looks like this flashback will end with Kurta massacre but from the troupe's POV now that it's revealed Sheira who was saved by Kurapika was part of the Troupe and she was also the one who "discovered" the massacre. Sheira gave Kurapika her favourite book about the Hunter D. Possibly the book had tracker installed.

Jackalinthebox

the troupe are complete nihilists. chrollo doesnt see a difference between a puppet and a human. whatever happens here will change the way they view the world in general. they had a chance to become good people, but the world robbed them of that.
Wouldn't say they’re nihilists. They find meaning in certain things, care about people & don’t believe in mindless destruction. They’re definitely fatalists, though. Fate is a major theme in Yorknew & has always had prominent ties to the Troupe in particular.

Top Bottom