• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.

Hunter X Hunter anime: Should i watch the 1999 version?

Not sure which is the right place to put this but i guess it's okay to put it in the HXH section.

Basically when i watch the HXH anime, is it okay to go with only the 2011 version or should i watch the 1999 version aswell? Is there anything i miss by skipping it?

rborges01

I think you should watch the first episode of the 1999 version and then just go and watch the 2011 version.

rborges01

Okay i take it the first episode of the 1999 version have something important that was not in the 2011 one?
They introduce Kite like in the first chapter of the manga while in the 2011 anime they take him out completely.

I see. Then i guess i watch the Kite part in the 1999 version and go with the 2011 one for the other stuff.

Last edited:

SAFFF

Its up to you, personally think the 99' version did a great job with Yorkshin arc that should not be forgotten. I recommend watching that one before or over the 2011 version.

Intus Legere

̣#TeamHisoka
Man, different takes on the story.

I still have to watch the 1999 anime to the end (I plan to do it soon), but you can easily tell a few things: (1) The studio is good and did a good job; (2) the tone is completely different from Madhouse's HxH; (3) They take far more liberties to expand on characters and their interactions.

Last edited:
Only real problem i have with watching the 1999 one is that i will basically have to watch the same stuff in the 2011 one assuming they have the same story other then the Kite introduction. It's not that long so it's not like i will lose much time on it and i'm sure it's good aswell. Althought i guess rewatching works for a good series like HXH and since the 1999 one is old i guess you still get a different experience with the animation/art style.

Dr. White

I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.
Only real problem i have with watching the 1999 one is that i will basically have to watch the same stuff in the 2011 one assuming they have the same story other then the Kite introduction. It's not that long so it's not like i will lose much time on it and i'm sure it's good aswell. Althought i guess rewatching works for a good series like HXH and since the 1999 one is old i guess you still get a different experience with the animation/art style.
It's a whole different tone. With 1999 you get a perfect match to the series, being lighthearted at times but overall darker and tense. They take liberties as Intus said like certain interactions/statements and even sometimes expanding on fights like Hisoka vs kurapicka.

2011 has a happier disposition overall due to the brighter colors and sharper quality which is juxtaposed by the series itself (more so later in the story). Both would be fine, although 2011 clearly sticks the whole ride out up unto the election arc.

Okay then i guess i watch both. The 1999 one does seem different enough according to you guys to get a different experience so it's not like you will go and watch the same thing in the 2011 version.

Might follow the 2011 anime via dub btw. Would be fun to watch Hunter X Hunter weekly.

Dr. White

I'm a shapeshifter, at Poe's masquerade.
Okay then i guess i watch both. The 1999 one does seem different enough according to you guys to get a different experience so it's not like you will go and watch the same thing in the 2011 version.
Yes, definitely.
Might follow the 2011 anime via dub btw. Would be fun to watch Hunter X Hunter weekly.
Chill, lmao.

It's just not a good business move.

Well i think it can work for me and it would be a great thing to watch weekly.

Also now we should not get our hopes up too high since they might not continue it for a long time due to Togashi's hiatuses but maybe when it has finished we might have continuation of the anime so i can go straight to that after having finished what we have now in dub. :cat

Jackalinthebox

Killua's voice is weird in the dub, only watched a few clips though. Chrollo is voiced by the same guy who did Prompto, wasn't a fan

Okay i have decided to do this:

I watch both Hunter X Hunter 1999 and 2011 after i finish Bleach.

I watch the 2011 one in whole, i don't just follow it in dub. I think i will like the dub but i think a better option is too just watch it all in sub first and then i simply rewatch the dubbed episodes weekly, i still get too watch it weekly just that i have already seen it but it can ofcourse be very fun still.

Last edited:

Suit

I'm on a boat
Not sure which is the right place to put this but i guess it's okay to put it in the HXH section.

Basically when i watch the HXH anime, is it okay to go with only the 2011 version or should i watch the 1999 version aswell? Is there anything i miss by skipping it?

no matter what you decide on, watch 2011 first, trust me. i'll second what another poster said about watching the first ep of 1999, though. after that, buckle up for 2011. it's absolutely marvelous. when you finish it, it feels like you've just watched an anime directed by miyazaki. that's the best way i can describe it. just absolutely fantastic directing.

~VK~

The King
2011 is the obvious choice here. don't listen to the nostalgia ^ (not the meaning of the word "respect".) :catprone

2011 is the obvious choice here. don't listen to the nostalgia ^ (not the meaning of the word "respect".) :catprone

Well like i said i watch it regardless. I just watch the 1999 one to check out how it was. :cat It's not that long (around 60 episodes) so won't lose much time on it.

ZE

E?E
I watched the 1999 version first and it was what hooked me to hxh in the first place. But for years I dreamed with an adaptation of the ant arc, so when I knew they were gonna make a remake, I welcomed it with open arms and it was everything I wanted it to be. For me, it's better in every aspect with the exception of the colour palette. The dark tone of the 1999 version suits hxh more.

Intus Legere

̣#TeamHisoka
it's absolutely marvelous. when you finish it, it feels like you've just watched an anime directed by miyazaki. that's the best way i can describe it. just absolutely fantastic directing.

I just want to confirm this. HxH 2011 is fantastic, made me wonder why Madhouse was putting so much effort and money into it time and time again. It's my favorite anime ever.

(Not trying to take away from 1999 HxH, Nippon Animation did a great job, and it's worth watching.)

snakeeater

The 1999 TV series is 62 episodes, but remember to watch the first OVA, which is 8 episodes and concludes the Yorknew City arc. Avoid the last two OVAs, which are the Greed Island arc, because they are pretty bad.

Tenma

hindsight is 2020
Just watch the 2011 anime, if you start with the 1999 the switch in animation, ost, voice actors etc when you have to go 2011 in Chimera Ant/Greed Island will just be jarring. Either that or you rewatch Hunter Exam/Yorkshin in the 2011 version which is mostly repitiive/exhausting

Marathon 2011 through then watch 1999 after

Last edited:
Just watch the 2011 anime, if you start with the 1999 the switch in animation, ost, voice actors etc when you have to go 2011 in Chimera Ant/Greed Island will just be jarring. Either that or you rewatch Hunter Exam/Greed Island in the 2011 version which is mostly repitiive/exhausting

Marathon 2011 through then watch 1999 after

Yeah i decided to do this. I watch 2011 first and then i save 1999 for later.

Edit: Decided too not read mangas with animes but still have the same decision.

Last edited:
Watch 2011 first, then 1999 when Manga goes on hiatus so you can still enjoy hxh.

But what if the manga don't go on hiatus, maybe Togashi has actually realized the series can't go on forever and is now working hard on actually putting a end to it. :kermit

But yeah if we assume he takes another one-year hiatus break like he usually does that's a good thing to watch under the hiatus.

Top Bottom