Hidan...a pact with a deity?

Rindfleisch

All you need is Rindfleisch
The Shinshu dogmatist Zonkaku (1290-1373) developed that syncretist doctrine by classifying the Japanese deities into two categories. The first was called gonsha,"expedient deities," or reishin, "spirits with miraculous powers." These were avatars of the Buddhas, assisted the cause of the faith of Amida, and were to be hallowed. The second was called Jissha, "actual deities." These were jashin, "malevolent spirits," and were to be shunned.
(quoted from J.S.A Elisonas - The Jesuits, The Devil,And The Pollution In Japan. The Context Of A Syllabus Of Errors)

The division of Shinto deities into jissha-shin and gonsha-shin was first expressed by the monk Teikei of Kofukuji Temple in the context of his attack against Nenbutsu Buddhism. Teikei divided Shinto deities into jissha-shin or the "true type" who are manifestations of demons and spirits, and gonsha-shin who, according to the theory of Honji-suijaku were originally Buddhas and Bodhisattvas and have manifested themselves in the forms of Shinto deities
(quoted from )

As we know so far, Hidan is a member of the Jashin religion, "which commends slaughter, and where anything less than total destruction is considered a sin"
(wikipedia)
In both quotes at the top, jisha are illustrated as "demons" and "malevolent spirits"...
ok..so far..so good..

According to the two quotes up there, shinto (a native religion of Japan) deities got divided in two categories...and one of them is the jashin....the "dark, evil, malevolent side of shinto"...

Shinto is a collection of rituals and methods meant to mediate the relations of living humans to kami
(quoted by wikipedia)

This definition perfectly fits to Hidan'S act..doesn't it?
Shinto has no binding set of dogma, no holiest place for worshippers, no person or kami deemed holiest, and no defined set of prayers.

In order to mediate the relation to his kami(god/s), Hidan has his own methods and rituals...

Belief is not a central aspect in Shinto, and proper observation of ritual is more important than whether one "truly believes" in the ritual
(wikipedia)

You may say that Hidan follows the Buddhist precepts and not the shinto ones...well here you go :
[...]Shinto has co-existed with Buddhism for well over a millennium, it is very difficult to untangle Shinto and Buddhist beliefs about the world[...]
(wikipedia)

The Ceremony is highly important to him...

...it's a connection between him and his praised kami...

Well...and who is his kami?
I don't know...it's said that there are over 8 millions kami....but for sure you can say it has to be an evil, dark one....maybe the shinigami(death god)?
That would make sense since the shinigami is the personification of death...and Hidan's seems to be immortal...
But well....it mustn't be the Shinigami we know because there are other death deities in Shintoism...

Why does Hidan pray? Only because he is highly religious?
Well...i do believe that through praying and sacrificing he receives immortality...
...maybe it does have something to do with the cycle of rebirth in Buddhism?

Mabye Hidan does have more than merely one soul in his body?
Maybe he can replicate his soul?

Well...no idea :)

...and why should the kami provide immortality to Hidan?
You remember this:
He belongs to the Jashin ("Evil God" or "Evil Heart") religion, which commends slaughter, and where anything less than total destruction is considered a sin
?
(wikipedia)

It's a possibility that through desctrution and killing, Hidan feeds his god/s...

More questions :

Why then does Hidan's skincolor does change during the ceremony?

Well...you can only speculate....maybe he receives another soul from his god?
With many souls in his body it means he must be killed more than once in order to die...and this would make him almost immortal...

Or mabye Hidan owns every soul of his enemys he killed...and he offers them to his god? In exchange he receives Immortality...

As you see, my theory is a raw one....it was whirring in my head...it had to go out :)
Just wanted to post my point of view and possibilities of Hidan's apparent immortality..

well...its a bit messy...sorry^^

Edit(new stuff):

Have new stuff^^
(thanks to the yama theory from turrin)

[...]Er tr?gt eine m?chtige Keule sowie ein Seil mit sich[...]
(wikipedia)
this is german and means:

[...]He(Yama) carries a powerfull blackjack as well a rope[...]

More:

[...]He holds a loop of rope in his left hand with which he pulls the soul from the corpse[...]
(wikipedia)

You see the analogies?
- weapon in the left hand
- a rope
- yama the god of death
- yama is one of the Guardians of the directions(analogy to akatsuki)

(more about the Guardians of the directions:

(more about Yama.
interesting stuff...you should read it...^^

Last edited:
Nice theory, but in my opinion it can't possibly be souls in his body...organs require the body to move and if souls were inside they would be revealed sooner or later through cuts and gashes or mental control probably.

Hidan may be immortal but he can feel pain, so this means if he has his limbs severed he would be stuck, alive, and unable to move until they are put back together. I believe when his skin color changes its his Jashin restoring an "immortality spell" on him. And possibly each time he stabs himself in the heart, he dies but then turns a dark color(body decaying?, the effect of ressurection?), is ressurected and gains immortality.

Death scythe fits him so well, and being immortal he can just go for slow full power attacks to take down his enemies.

Very nice theory ^____^

Though im starting to think the color change doesnt really have anything to do with his immortality since in 322 he gets stabbed and looks the same. Unless he turns black next chapter....too many questions.

Have new stuff^^
(thanks to the yama theory from turrin)

[...]Er tr?gt eine m?chtige Keule sowie ein Seil mit sich[...]
(wikipedia)

this is german and means:

[...]He(Yama) carries a powerfull blackjack as well as a rope[...]

More:

[...]He holds a loop of rope in his left hand with which he pulls the soul from the corpse[...]
(wikipedia)

You see the analogies?
- weaphon in the left hand
- a rope
- yama the god of death
- yama is one of the Guardians of the directions(analogy to akatsuki)

(more about the Guardians of the directions:

(more about Yama.
interesting stuff...you should read it...^^

Good stuff here, you've done your research.

Ever since I first saw him pierced onto the ground, I always thought it would've been some sort of religious rite, and that he may, in fact, have close ties to a deity.

Back
Top Bottom