Garps dilemma; Family or Duty

Your decision

• Total voters

Silver

Garp chose duty and shows regret and remorse shortly after.

If you were in Garps shoes what would you have chosen/done?

Van Basten

Black Lives Matter
It depends on the situation.

Ace never begged for his life. He knew the risks of piracy. I certainly could not have been a witness to my family’s execution though. In the Ace situation, either choice was understandable.

Van Basten

Black Lives Matter
Definitely family, akainu was murdering his grandchildren and he did nothing.
No one was being “murdered.” Ace was a wanted pirate being executed as much for his crimes as he was as a propaganda tool. None of the WB Pirates were there because they thought Ace was innocent. Oda created a tough situation and you’re just reducing it to something it’s not.

God sl4yer

King of hell
No one was being “murdered.” Ace was a wanted pirate being executed as much for his crimes as he was as a propaganda tool. None of the WB Pirates were there because they thought Ace was innocent. Oda created a tough situation and you’re just reducing it to something it’s not.
I know he was in a tough situation but ace got killed and luffy was about to get killed, he should've been like, fuck duty here i come.

God sl4yer

King of hell
Sengoku was holding Garp back from attacking Akainu wasn't he
That was too late and luffy was about to get killed multiple times after that moment an garp decided to do his duty.

Btw garp was struggling in choosing betwen duty and family and even then he tried to kill akainu, so i am not hating on him or anything.

JustSumGuy

The True SNIPER KING
I’m not gonna pretend like Garp was a great father to Luffy or Ace but I mean….he did tell them what would happen if they became pirates.

Luffy and Ace chose that life and I don’t think either resents Garp for sticking to his responsibility so I won’t either.

MartyMcFly1

Danger is my middle name!
Imagine in real life, a man was a lifelong police officer who wanted his son to be a police officer but his son started selling drugs and involved himself with organized crime.

Would you realistically expect that police officer to intervene if his son got the death penalty? “I would have stepped in!!” Is easy to say, tough in practice.

Sherlōck

High Functioning Sociopath
Garp had to consider his position as well in the world stage.

Imagine thinking the fallout from "Hero of the Marines" deserting. It would be a catastrophic blow for the marines and WG.

Idjits who don't understand shit are the only ones to say family.

Sablés

Garp had to consider his position as well in the world stage.

Imagine thinking the fallout from "Hero of the Marines" deserting. It would be a catastrophic blow for the marines and WG.

Idjits who don't understand shit are the only ones to say family.
Who cares? Marines/WG are corrupt assholes and support slavery. There's nothing about that organization worth protecting in the long run and Garp had done his service. The "Hero of the Marines" is founded on a lie (exaggeration) and has already run its course. Garp specifically didn't join the admirals because he knew of the corruption. He just chose to do nothing about it. His son had to pick up the slack.

What Garp should have done is obvious. Ace made his choices in life and paid for it. If Garp was going to leave Ace to his fate, he should not have been there for the execution. That's the least he could have done as a grandfather. Instead, he remained in a position to defend said execution and couldn't do it when push came to shove. Man tried to play both sides and came out like a fool. I felt sorry for him. He made all the wrong choices as a guardian.

Last edited:

Casval Rem Aznable

I'd stay with the Marines. Not because of some crazy sense of duty or honour, but simply because, of course I wouldn't wanna side with a pirate or a terrorist when l already am a respected military officer. Ace chose his own fate by being a total dumbass. It was natural selection at work. Moreover he wasn't even Larp's own grandchild nor did Larp raise Ace. Larp had already given up on both Ace and Luffy by the time he left them at Dadan's place

Last edited:

Kroczilla

Depends on the circumstances. But in the situation Garp was in at Marineford, I think he made the right choice. Ace is a grown man. He lived his life the way he wanted with apparently no regrets.

Amol

Chief of Wisdom
Contrary to what many believes Marines are necessary for world to function.

Just because we follow adventure of pirate group who is led by Jesus, it doesn't change the fact that 90% of pirates are evil.

So Garp's duty is honorable. You can't cherry pick when dealing with pirates or otherwise it breaks the entire function of Marines.

Yes Ace was a nice person who didn't deserve what happened to him but so are thousand other children who would be in danger of marines are left in state of confusion if Hero of Marine decided to protect a pirate.

This is not as straightforward as many thinks.

Personally I guess I would have chosen family because I am not a noble as Garp and would always think selfishly.

P.S. : Honestly "Good" Pirates should call themselves Adventurers or Explorers instead of Pirates. They don't do much of typical pirating anyway.

I wouldn't let someone kill a kid I adopted to further some agenda.

To be frank, family isn't really the issue for me. Even if the kid had no connection to me, executing him wouldn't sit right with me if it was clear that his sins didn't match the punishment.

Kishido

It was stupid potrayed... First he has stopped Marco because of duty even if Ace might be save... Haven't tried to stop the execution at all if not for Luffy and after it he cried because Akainu killed Ace.
Yeah he is conflicted...he simply should have done nothing on both sides

Van Basten

Black Lives Matter
Not left him to be raised by a bunch of bandits, so that he actually has a chance to grow into a productive member of society.
Well, Garp left Luffy with normal people and the kid came under the influence of Shanks.

Contrary to what many believes Marines are necessary for world to function.

Just because we follow adventure of pirate group who is led by Jesus, it doesn't change the fact that 90% of pirates are evil.

So Garp's duty is honorable. You can't cherry pick when dealing with pirates or otherwise it breaks the entire function of Marines.

Yes Ace was a nice person who didn't deserve what happened to him but so are thousand other children who would be in danger of marines are left in state of confusion if Hero of Marine decided to protect a pirate.

This is not as straightforward as many thinks.

Personally I guess I would have chosen family because I am not a noble as Garp and would always think selfishly.

P.S. : Honestly "Good" Pirates should call themselves Adventurers or Explorers instead of Pirates. They don't do much of typical pirating anyway.
Well said.

You can lead ‘em to water but….

Last edited:

Inferno Jewls

b҉u҉z҉z҉a҉r҉d҉
I'd probably choose family out of instinct but holy shit Garp had the worst would you rather come at him in history, feels for the old man.

WeakMCinTraining

Personally the logical side of me says I would disown a kid who was too far into the life of a criminal. But I'm not a parent yet so it is easy to be logical. Maybe the emotional side will win out. But I personally would have been a good guardian to the kids.

I don't blame Garp for choosing his duty but I certainly blame him for being a terrible guardian. He basically threw them at Dadan and went on his merry way. What did he expect they will grow up to be surrounded by bandits? Ace and Luffy needed a father figure. If he took them with him and kept them among marines they would have been indoctrinated to want to be marines when they grew up like he wanted them to.

Yumi Zoro

Miam Miam
I will Ask sengoku to release Ace and give him a second chance.

Or leave The marine short After Ace's dead and never Come back.

MrPopo

The thing about Garp is that for every dissension he choosed what he belived is the good thing to do.

Garp took the best path he could and that ended up with Ace getting killed.

Lurko

The thing about Garp is that for every dissension he choosed what he belived is the good thing to do.

Garp took the best path he could and that ended up with Ace getting killed.
So I guess Luffy now and Dragon should be killed????

MrPopo

So I guess Luffy now and Dragon should be killed????
That's not what I'm saying. Garp took the path that he believed was the best thing to do. That ultimately took him Ace getting put on execution and even when he let's Luffy past him to save Ace and Ace still died.

Garp's entire life he took the path that he thought was the best thing to do and even tho he took that path thinking he was doing the right thing it resulted in the cross roads of Ace getting executed.

Eustathios

I think Garp's dilemma in MF was masterfully handled. He's human after all.

Ace lived his life as he wished, becoming a criminal. Garp chose his duty and principles. But even then, the conflict within him was so great that when coming face to face with Luffy he could not continue anymore and clearly lost it when Akainu executed Ace.

There were effectively two people in one fighting within: Navy HQ Vice Admiral Garp, Hero of the Marines vs Ace and Luffy's grandpa. It's a painful dilemma that has plagued even kings and rulers throughout history, when it came to decisions regarding their own children or family.

When he stopped Marco and stood below the scaffold, it was Hero of the Marines showing from within. When he let Luffy pass, it was grandpa Garp taking over.

Top Bottom