Naruto Fuck Yeah: The Shikamaru x Temari Fanclub - Part 6

ItNeverRains

Keep a weather eye open
The ShikaTema FC

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

The Shikamaru x Temari Fan Club

Now with 100% more canon confirmation! And a kid, too!

Welcome to the Fuck Yeah: Shikamaru x Temari Fanclub! All who are fans of this pairing are welcome to join! We operate on a "if the house is a-rockin', don't bother knockin'" policy here. Just come on in. No membership requests required. The most important thing is to have fun and try to stay active!

Owner:
ItNeverRains

Co-owners:
Mael

The Moments
A compendium of interactions between everybody's* favorite pair. Not all are shippy, but all are building blocks of the relationship that would eventually result in a little fella named Shikadai. So check 'em out, relive the long, worthwhile (but not yet complete!) journey of ShikaTema.

*Does not actually refer to "everybody". Although if there was any justice in the world, it would.

[sp=Smack dat]
Manga Moments-Moments that appeared originally in the manga and subsequently (or will eventually appear in) the anime.

Moment: The Fight That Started It All
Chapter:
Episode: Naruto 64
Description: Shikamaru and Temari square off in the final round of the Chunin Exams

Moment: Scary, Yet Beautiful
Chapter:
Episode: Naruto 124-125
Description: Things are looking bad for Shikamaru against Tayuya when Temari suddenly comes to his aid.

Moment: Fragility
Chapter:
Episode: Naruto 135
Description: Temari has some rather harsh words for Shikamaru in the hospital as he waits to know the status of his friends' lives.

Moment: See You Again, Crybaby
Chapter:
Episode: Naruto 142
Description: Shikamaru sees the Sand Siblings off at the Konoha gates, but not before Temari decides to tease him a little.

Moment: Not-A-Date
Chapter:
Episode: Shippuden 2
Description: Naruto's just back after his training with Jiraiya and two of the first people he runs into are Shikamaru and Temari.

Moment: Division 4's Proxy Commander
Chapter:
Episode: Shippuden 256
Description: Temari reminds Shikamaru that he's in charge of Division 4 since Gaara is Commander General of the whole army.

Moment: Like Father Like Son
Chapter:
Episode: Shippuden 363
Description: Temari's impressed with Shikaku's ability but not necessarily surprised.

Moment: The Ability to Move People's Hearts
Chapter:
Episode: Shippuden 379
Description: Shikamaru gives a speech about the importance of small actions to a dispirited army, prompting Temari to muse on his potential.

Moment: I Dream of Temari
Chapter:
Episode: Pending
Description: [sp][/sp] Trapped inside the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Shikamaru proves tentative to the idea of marriage but seems to know exactly who he wants beside him.

Moment: FIRE THE CANNONS!
Chapter:
Episode: Pending
Description: Epilogue. Li'l Shikadai goes home from school and is greeted by his mom and uncles.

Anime Moments- Moments that occur only in the Anime.

Moment: Repaying A Debt & Goodbyes Again
Episode: Naruto 217-218, 220
Description: This time Temari's the one in trouble and it's up to Shikamaru to return the favor. Later on Team Konoha says their goodbyes and Shikamaru and Temari's interaction roughly mirrors their goodbyes at the end of the Sound Four arc.

Moment: Tsunade's Office
Episode: Shippuden 2
Description: This scene is a result of shuffling of events between manga and anime, so it's not really a "moment", but it is their introduction in Shippuden, so I felt it should be included.

Moment: Waking Up Early
Episode: Shippuden 7
Description: Temari prepares to leave a still-sleeping Konoha for the trip back to Suna, but it seems one usually lazy person has managed to get up to say goodbye.

Moment: Shikamaru Shippuden!
Episode: Shippuden 75 (Omake)
Description: In preparation for the him-centric Hidan and Kakuzu arc, Shikamaru proposes a title-change of the show- and his idea seems to prominently feature a certain kunoichi from the Hidden Sand...

Moment: The Cruelest Kunoichi
Episode: Shippuden 234
Description: Konohamaru wants to prove his ability to contribute to the war and decides the best way to go about this is to challenge the visiting Temari to a battle. Thankfully Shikamaru manages to step in before things get out of hand.

Moment: You Explain It, Shikamaru
Episode: Shippuden 268
Description: Temari is offended by her troops' lack of knowledge on Kekkai Touta and goes to enlighten them... before telling Shikamaru to do it instead because he's better at that kind of thing.

Moment: An Intelligent Guy
Episode: Shippuden 316
Description: Temari comes across a reanimated shinobi named Daimaru who apparently harbored quite the crush on her in life. But after she bluntly rejects him it's revealed that the rumor going around the battlefield is she already likes somebody else...

Moment: A Delicious Hodgepodge
Episode: Shippuden 394
Description: Some private conversation and a little bit more teasing of the Nara boy on Temari's part... right, crybaby?

Other Moments- Important moments/information from non-manga or anime sources.

Moment: A New Ninja World, Together
Source: Databook 4
Description: (From Temari's Profile) "A talented woman who can’t be close to everyone, in the midst of fierce fighting she sees in Shikamaru a disposition worthy of the next era’s foundation, and decides to make a new ninja world together with him."[/sp]

LIKE SHIKATEMA?
Then make sure to give these other awesome, related FCs a visit (they won't kidnap, bind, and torture you, I swear it).

- for all your Shikadai needs.
- for all your best friend needs.

Chikorita

I'm assuming that her and Kankuro were special cases that just automatically got promoted to jounin? Considering that Suna still had the issues that lead it to invade Konoha in the first place and lost a bunch of their own shinobi including the Kazekage in the process, it'd make sense that exceptions would be made for two ninjas that are in the same immediate family as the guy who ended up being the replacement Kazekage and are also known for being skilled shinobi in their own rights. Also I guess it's worth mentioning that filler scene the anime added in before the finals where Kankuro told her that she would've easily made chunin if she had taken part in the exam before it. (Laughs hysterically at how in that same scene, Kankuro asked if she was going to train for her fight against Shikamaru but she said that there's no way she'd lose to a guy at his skill level. Oh how wrong you are, Temari.) Plus it wouldn't make that much sense for her and Kankuro to be at that meeting discussing the idea of having an exam if they were planning to participate in it themselves.

Still holding out for the hope that somewhere in this arc we get a scene that leads the Kages (or whoever makes these discussions) to go "hey you two work well together, why don't you organize the next exams?"

Edit: Oh hey first new post in the shiny new thread

ColossalBeltloop

Aiiiiiiiiiiiight
I voted 5. Methinks thar be haters aboot.

And Chika, I agree that Temari and Kankuro were probably made Jounin by some ambiguous defaulted factors due to mass carnage.

BUT...

what if they weren't? A little clarity on the show's part would be nice, if not because it would force character development and whatnot. :nod

Chikorita

I voted 5. Methinks thar be haters aboot.

And Chika, I agree that Temari and Kankuro were probably made Jounin by some ambiguous defaulted factors due to mass carnage.

BUT...

what if they weren't? A little clarity on the show's part would be nice, if not because it would force character development and whatnot. :nod

Character development would be nice but I feel like it'd probably be too much to expect from SP. But hey, the potential is there.

Speaking of ninja ranks though, not like I expect this to happen but it'd be incredibly amusing if Temari were to bring up "Let me get this straight-- You forfeited our match and they still made you a chunin? What the fuck?" Judging by her tone from when she showed up to save his ass during the Sasuke mission, I guess the thought had to be there with how she was definitely trying to impress him / prove herself to him, but at the same time she obviously understands what the higher-ups saw in him and why he got promoted. Giving her a line like that would also fit in with how SP likes having her be so punctual in insisting that they do share a past together and bringing it up whenever possible.

ItNeverRains

Keep a weather eye open
Temari's warrior spirit is too honest and proud for her to fail to realize that she got beat and got beat good. She was trying to prove herself to him when she saved him, yes, but it's because she had every reason to respect him and felt that she had not yet given him a reason to respect her. Especially given that they had started their matches by degrading each other, only for him to completely show her up. And it's only after that moment when she feels that she can truly interact with him on even footing (or even talk down to him, as the hospital scene could illustrate).

ColossalBeltloop

Aiiiiiiiiiiiight
Temari's warrior spirit is too honest and proud for her to fail to realize that she got beat and got beat good. She was trying to prove herself to him when she saved him, yes, but it's because she had every reason to respect him and felt that she had not yet given him a reason to respect her. Especially given that they had started their matches by degrading each other, only for him to completely show her up. And it's only after that moment when she feels that she can truly interact with him on even footing (or even talk down to him, as the hospital scene could illustrate).

I couldn't agree more. Not to mention, Shikamaru does comment on her intelligence, as does Asuma; something I don't recall either of them doing for anyone else in like manner. While I can't prove it, I honestly think Shikamaru appreciated Temari's ability to get him to have to work. "Oh my God, one of the few situations where I actually have to put effort into my thinking? That's interesting." And I really think that factored into his decision to give up, because the only other choice would be to kill her. I think everyone in that stadium thought Temari was going to die in the last 10 seconds of that match; everyone except Shikamaru, who thought, "Naa, I'm not gonna kill a girl...especially a smart one. I'm low on chakra. Yeah, that's it. So like, I give up." :zaru

Shikamaru had respect for her, but Temari didn't know that. How could she know when he wears that adorable half-high/dumbass look on his face?

This of course, affects her during the rescue arc. Much of that scene was about proving her worthiness to him and seeking his approval. She went overboard. She stayed in front of him, protecting him and not allowing him to take one step beyond her fan. She didn't just defeat Tayuya, she utterly overwhelmed and embarrassed her to death. :argh

The reason she had such a cheeky grin afterwards wasn't just because she wanted to feel smug about her skills; she wanted Shikamaru to be completely in awe of her. It worked. :LOS

5 stars now...no need to thank me.:suave

you cheated because when you voted, Star Platinum voted, which constitutes over 9000 times the normal voting power.

glad you're on our side. :LOS

Chikorita

There we go some nice ShikaTema in the newest ep. :) They narrate the next episode preview too so there's more to come.

So I guess what I was talking about last night ended up happening...? Their fight wasn't outright brought up but it was clearly alluded to with how Temari knew why he got the promotion, much to Shikamaru's surprise that she didn't make some snide comeback. I'm sorry Shikamaru, did you actually want her to take some jab at you like that? :lmao

ItNeverRains

Keep a weather eye open
Evil genius Shikamaru is best Shikamaru.

Let's just go ahead and dub this the Shikatema arc while we're at it. :hurr

Chikorita

So is this the Shikamaru Shippuden that omake was talking about?

I wish the scene in today's ep involved Temari actually catching onto more of what this nerd's scheming (especially since shouldn't he have had to get his whole plan approved??), but the first exam still isn't over so we'll see.

ItNeverRains

Keep a weather eye open
So is this the Shikamaru Shippuden that omake was talking about?

I saw an edit on twitter of Shikamaru and Temari sitting in their little master control room except that they're watching the "Shikamaru Shippuden" panel on the television screen instead of the inside of the classroom. I'm not gonna post it because I can't give proper credit, but just run a twitter search for ”シカテマ” and you should find it.

Or just imagine it with your mind. I mean, it looks exactly how I described it. Nothing extravagant.

ColossalBeltloop

Aiiiiiiiiiiiight
I'm sorry Shikamaru, did you actually want her to take some jab at you like that? :lmao

I was thinking the same thing! I think its to the point that Shikamaru will say things just to get a rise out of her. He wants to hear her comebacks because he likes them. And he's a touch disappointed when she doesn't comply with his terms. Like, "what? You're gonna be agreeable and slightly good tempered? How sweet...its throwing me off. What the hell, woman? I've got expectations here."

I saw an edit on twitter of Shikamaru and Temari sitting in their little master control room except that they're watching the "Shikamaru Shippuden" panel on the television screen instead of the inside of the classroom. I'm not gonna post it because I can't give proper credit, but just run a twitter search for ?シカテマ? and you should find it.

Or just imagine it with your mind. I mean, it looks exactly how I described it. Nothing extravagant.

I'm imagining it, and it is glorious. :datass

Chikorita

I found the image you were talking about Rains and it's beautiful.

This episode's interesting to compare to the first episode of the arc since during their little farewell conversation, she completely unnecessarily had to bring up the whole crybaby thing and he scratched his head and complained about how she never changes, but now that he's prompting her in conversation like this he's so disappointed that he's not getting a satisfactory reply? What's it going to be, Shikamaru? :hehee

ColossalBeltloop

Aiiiiiiiiiiiight
You know, I always felt Shikamaru had a bluesy/bluegrass essence. The threatening country music riffs that accompanied Sasuke, basic as they were, seem a lot more fitting for the chill, shadow-wielding genius. Whereas with Sauce, well...it just made him look like a tool. :zaru

ItNeverRains

Keep a weather eye open
Shikamaru in a poncho, hat pulled down over his eyes, a cigarillo smoldering out the corner of his mouth, sitting in the corner of the room with one hand's fingers dancing over the ivory handle of his revolver...

Featuring Temari as the take-no-bullshit mexican barmaid with ample cleavage. She calls him "stranger" at first, little knowing that she'll soon be getting to know him quite well.

Sieves

LAW AND ORDER
i'm not a member here but i should be

because this is the only canon ship

that makes sense

i'm happy it exists and wasn't ruined. :33

Chikorita

i'm not a member here but i should be

because this is the only canon ship

that makes sense

i'm happy it exists and wasn't ruined. :33

I get that we're talking about a ship between two side characters here that just so casually happened so therefore it's a small percentage of people that can say they're the most actively invested in it of all ships, but it's nice to know how it's the one ship that everyone just acknowledged as a thing. I've seen plenty of people like you say that it's the only ship that made any sense in the epilogue. (Either that or it's the only one that they personally accept.) As someone that despises pretty much everything about 700, I'm just clinging to the fact that we got one really good ship out of it and making the most of it. Honestly it's pretty much the sole reason why I'm still in this fandom.

If you like ShikaTema then you are a member here.

But who doesn't like ShikaTema? :hmm

ColossalBeltloop

Aiiiiiiiiiiiight
As someone that despises pretty much everything about 700, I'm just clinging to the fact that we got one really good ship out of it and making the most of it. Honestly it's pretty much the sole reason why I'm still in this fandom.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. Also, humorously enough, I knew a lot of ShikaIno fans openly admit that they had no real evidence for their ship, and that they only shipped it out of preference. Props to them for having the guts to shrug it off and admit defeat years ago, because they saw it as plainly as we did. I totally respected the smart ones.

Oh, well there's:

Spoiler:
Unsmart, rabid ShikaIno fans, rabid ShikaChou fans, and Sasuke apologists. :zaru

Shikamaru in a poncho, hat pulled down over his eyes, a cigarillo smoldering out the corner of his mouth, sitting in the corner of the room with one hand's fingers dancing over the ivory handle of his revolver...

Featuring Temari as the take-no-bullshit mexican barmaid with ample cleavage. She calls him "stranger" at first, little knowing that she'll soon be getting to know him quite well.

Urrggh, no dammit! You make me want to draw this! I already have enough on my plate, I just barely fisnished the rough for the comic I was talking about. :argh

Sieves

LAW AND ORDER
I get that we're talking about a ship between two side characters here that just so casually happened so therefore it's a small percentage of people that can say they're the most actively invested in it of all ships, but it's nice to know how it's the one ship that everyone just acknowledged as a thing. I've seen plenty of people like you say that it's the only ship that made any sense in the epilogue. (Either that or it's the only one that they personally accept.) As someone that despises pretty much everything about 700, I'm just clinging to the fact that we got one really good ship out of it and making the most of it. Honestly it's pretty much the sole reason why I'm still in this fandom.

actually shikatema was my first ship, waaaaay back during the chuunin exams. :amuse

well you know what they say, the devil is in the details. the fact that shikamaru and temari weren't main characters and weren't constantly under the microscope gave their relationship room to grow organically and unhindered :hurr

Chikorita

Oh, well there's:

Spoiler:
Unsmart, rabid ShikaIno fans, rabid ShikaChou fans, and Sasuke apologists. :zaru

Well:

Spoiler:
You sound like you saw the person on tumblr that was all "ShikaTema's a shit ship because they openly dislike each other and that's unhealthy and abusive!!!" :wth

Comparing ST to ShikaIno and ShikaChou is like the last thing I want to discuss with this series because of course the Team 10 kids love each other so much and I'd never want to trivialize their bond because I ship this, but there's the point where it becomes... really??

I can take ship critique. My favorite Pokemon ship has somewhat of a similar "they bicker a lot but they're legitimately in love each other" dynamic and you could pretty brutally argue why the ship isn't healthy and I'd agree. (Heck I've made so many posts calling the guy an asshole that's caused me to get a few asks asking why I hate him so much even though he's been my fave for years.)

But... ShikaTema? OF ALL SHIPS? How the hell are you interpreting their interactions if you're comparing it to abuse? What, did you take their farewell scene at the end of part 1 and only take the dialog while ignoring how they were both smiling and the atmosphere was really friendly? Because it makes perfect sense that Temari would want to kick Shikamaru down and make a hostile remark to him just after she looked so sympathetic while his dad chewed him out and he then cried in front of her because Temari's definitely a heartless and completely inconsiderate asshole. And it also makes perfect sense that Shikamaru would act like ungrateful bastard to someone that just saved his life, amirite? :del

I tried reading their argument but I couldn't make any sense of it. It started with "Shikamaru and Temari have a lot of respect for each other." Ok, good! But then they started ranting about its portrayal in fanon "romanticizing the idea that they hate each other" or something and it just turned into a rant structured as if they actually hate each other in canon and I got completely lost.

Might as well put up a sign that says NO FUN ALLOWED!! and we aren't allowed to ship anything that isn't 110% rainbows and sunshines. (Seriously, what ships in this manga does that leave us with that you can't argue is abusive then?) :geg

Seriously, how do people that don't ship this interpret their interactions? :huh It's not like they've never interacted... even though a lot of the anti-posts try to argue this. I saw some post once that opened with "I want you to reevaluate your belief in ShikaTema" but then their first point was that they've only interacted twice and both times they were forced, so when their first point was just flat out incorrect I stopped reading.

I tried getting into a discussion about this with someone that didn't understand why the ship is a thing but I didn't get anywhere. I asked what their interpretation of their dynamic is and gave a brief explanation of their interactions and why I interpret the ship as a thing, but they just laughed at me for reading too into it and just based off that I ship it? I just replied with "... Yeah?" because they didn't provide any sort of counterargument so I was clueless as to what else I was supposed to reply with. I had to ask what their interpretation of Shikamaru's IT dream was though and I just got "he says marriage is troublesome and it doesn't make sense why Temari is there" before I dropped the conversation.

actually shikatema was my first ship, waaaaay back during the chuunin exams. :amuse

well you know what they say, the devil is in the details. the fact that shikamaru and temari weren't main characters and weren't constantly under the microscope gave their relationship room to grow organically and unhindered :hurr

Thanks Kishi for not actively giving them the spotlight and therefore not actively destroying their relationship. :bow

Top Bottom