• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.

Elric of Melniboné: Analysis of Cosmology, and Overview

Atem

King of Games
Another thing to note is that Michael Moorcock has met, and drunk beer with numerous fictional characters including both Sherlock Holmes and the Doctor. Who he can conjure into existence.

Michael Moorcock has access to the moonbeam roads.

Michael Moorcock may have been the one who created his fictional multiverse but Limbo has always been there before then. He created his multiverse to fill the empty space-time. He was unaware of Limbo's existence until the events of this story. When he learns about his true nature as an Eternal Champion.

Last edited:

Atem

King of Games
So, uh, found another huge plot twist as I was reading The Sanctuary of the White Friars.

The Grey Fees, and Limbo? They are the same thing.

Which means it is a byproduct of humanity despite predating the multiverse. I am confused. I guess it goes like this:

First there was our Earth. Then humanity was born, and therefore the Grey Fees (which is Limbo) came into being. Which retconned reality somehow so that it always existed to begin with. Then the Cosmic Balance came into being as the regulator of the Grey Fees, which made Michael Moorcock as likely the first Eternal Champion. Who then proceeded to create the rest of the multiverse barring the Lost Universe, and the Lost Gods.

Shamrodia

I remember doing an incomplete tier list of the Moorcock's verse, it is now gone or in the archives. Too bad.

If I'm not wrong, the strongest character in the multiverse was Erekosë using the black sword against the Cosmic Balance ?

Atem

King of Games
I remember doing an incomplete tier list of the Moorcock's verse, it is now gone or in the archives. Too bad.

If I'm not wrong, the strongest character in the multiverse was Erekosë using the black sword against the Cosmic Balance ?

The second strongest.

Four Who are One would be stronger.

Since it includes the fusion of Onric von Bek (aka, Erekose), Elric, Corum, and Dorian.

Shamrodia

Yes it should. I always wondered what were Agak and Gagak if they are not from the Multi(mega?)verse.

Most everything. I think Gloriana and Behold The Man might be exceptions.

The Multiverse is mentionned a few times in Gloriana, and Arioch too.

Atem

King of Games
Another tidbit from The Revenge of the Rose.

Stormbringer does not exist in the past, present, or future. It is beyond the understanding of everyone in the Lower, Middle, and Higher Worlds.

Atem

King of Games
Also, I want to talk a little bit about Oone the Dreamthief. Elric of Melnibone meets her in The Fortress of the Pearl, and she becomes one of his many lovers. She is the mother of his two children, and she is a dreamthief.

Now what is a dreamthief? They are people who take the dreams or rather dream quests of other people, and give them to others. They can enter the dream quests other people are having, and steal things from them. Which they sell to others for a profit. It is called the Dream Market, and they travel across the multiverse for their profession.

Once again Elric makes it clear that sorcery is an extension of this. That magic is a person bringing their dreams into reality, and forcibly imposing their will upon it. That even his own world was made this way.

Atem

King of Games
Another thing to note is that Lords of the Higher World take over, and assimilate realms just by entering them. They change them to suit them the moment they enter them. We see Arioch do this but he is not the only one. Beelzebub can too.

Taken from Elric: The Balance Lost.

Atem

King of Games
Time for some more lore, and world building!

Taken from The Blood Red Game. We learn of the Originators. Who are responsible for seeding life on all worlds across the multiverse, and the life which they intended to be their successors. Renark von Bek is once again referenced as unique, and that his soul permeates all of reality. He is one of the Eternal Champions.

Also, some really good speed feats and instances of various characters flying around the multiverse. Renark, and Asquiol are given the knowledge of the Originators when they find them inside of a sun at the center of the multiverse.

Another thing:

Space is again referred to as infinite in The Black Corridor.

Atem

King of Games
Something I forgot to mention before but there are two aspects of the Anti-Balance. The chaotic one which was sealed into Stormbringer, and Mournblade. Then the lawful one which was sealed into the black jewel embedded in Dorian Hawkmoon's forehead.

It was the smiths that made not only the black swords and white swords but also the Cosmic Balance itself. Which included Sepiriz, and the Nihrain. Who now safeguard the Cosmic Balance they created. This was in order to tip the balance in the favor of the Lords of Law.

Atem

King of Games
So, I was reading some of the books I haven't touched in years again. Besides the fact that the Eternal Champion was Lucifer Morningstar?

Taken from Behold the Man.

He is Jesus Christ too. Yeah, the son of god.

The biblical one.

What a yarn ball of confusion this must be for him.

"Begone Satan! Who is also me!"

And this makes sense because Lucifer left hell, and became the "ruler of earth" which in hindsight was probably talking about this.

Atem

King of Games
Particularly the part about curing the world's pain, and bringing enlightenment to mankind. Which was brought up in The Hound of War, and The World's Pain.

Oh, Michael Moorcock you are blowing my mind.

Atem

King of Games
Been reading The Blood Red Game again. Just a single universe has so many dimensions to it that there is no empty space, and keep in mind universes are already infinite in Michael Moorcock's Multiverse.

Atem

King of Games
So, basically. The multiverse got a whole lot bigger.

There are the branches of the Skrayling Tree, and which are infinite in number. Which contain anywhere between billions to an infinite number of twigs.

The twigs which are distinct universes each of which are infinite in size, have every possible civilization due to sheer size as noted in the narrative, and which have more than three or four dimensions to them (time, space, etc). In fact, they have an infinite number that's enough to make it so there is no empty space at all in a universe. Meaning every one of those dimensions is also populated, and exists parallel to each other.

The infinite number of Ghost Worlds which pass through twigs in their own universes.

The Limbos between each branch and twig which are the size of universes.

Then finally the other systems besides The Skrayling Tree like the Wheel.

Hell, and an infinite number of heavens.

As well as the fact with every action someone creates a new universe, and the fact the dimensions of space are constantly replicating themselves.

The First Ether, and the Second Ether.

The Grey Fees.

It just keeps on growing.

Atem

King of Games
Elric of Melniboné said:
Now as for the size of the multiverse?By Elric's perspective whenever he tries to summon Arioch there is an endless amount of universes his astral body traverses in order to find his patron deity.

The ancient sorcerers who resided in Melnibone made note of the fact there was likely an infinite number of alternate earths.

The multiverse is outright noted to be infinite by Myshella. A lady of law. Also, Elric of Melnibone has an incarnation of himself in every plane of existence.

Once again the multiverse is referred to as having infinite realms, and that moonbeams are roads that extend from different spheres. Which means anyone who is able travel across them is moving pretty darn fast. Considering the fact that each of them is supposed to be infinite in size.

In The Eternal Champion we see the multiverse brought up again, and it is noted that it is infinite. It is revealed that Tanelorn exists at the center of the multiverse, and never decays like other worlds. It is forever like the Eternal Champion.

Also, in the same series it is revealed that the Eternal Champion and the Black Sword are always bound for each other. The Eternal Champion is the only person who can truly wield it. Which adds credence to the idea that Lucifer was one of his incarnations. As he was able to use it.

Also, the book introduces the Ghost Worlds. Which are worlds that exist alongside a normal version of Earth. They are actually solid, and they each exist in their own dimension. There is an infinite number of them for every version of Earth. We already know there are an infinite number of Earths.

And decided to double check.Phoenix in Obsidian actually has John Daker refer to the alternate dimension containing a Ghost World as a universe.

That's not the only time Ghost Worlds are referred to as universes, and hosts of universes either.

The Skrayling Tree confirms that the Elric Saga is is much larger than just a single megaverse. It describes the multiverse as a tree. A branch is a sphere or realm, and each branch has countless twigs which are each their own parallel world. So, spheres are actually infinite multiverses. Once you include the Ghost Worlds these spheres or realms become megaverses.

The Eternal Champion makes it clear that the Ghost Worlds are connected to a version of Earth rather than being a version of Earth, and are different than it existing parallel to a version of Earth. They do not exist in time, and space. The Eldren are stated to have likely come from there, and people from Ghost Worlds do not have souls.

Taken from the Oswald Bastable series from Michael Moorcock's Multiverse.Once again it is said there is an infinite number of dimensions, and just the concept of space by itself has an infinite number of dimensions. That are constantly reproducing, and infinitely creating even more dimensions.

Just speaking of the future when you are prescient to anyone risks the chance of creating another branch of the Skrayling Tree. The same goes with time-travel. So every time someone speaks of the future, or time-travels another branch in the Skrayling Tree is made.

More on Limbo, or the Middle March it exists between each version of Earth and is a universe. Which has both stars, and constellations. So, now we have yet more to each branch within the Skrayling Tree. Besides the Ghost Worlds, and alternate versions of Earth. Which are their own universes too.

Space is again referred to as infinite in The Black Corridor.

Just a single universe has so many dimensions to it that there is no empty space, and keep in mind universes are already infinite in Michael Moorcock's Multiverse. These dimensions are all populated, and behave as their own universes.

There is one infinite hell, and an infinite number of heavens which are each infinite.

As noted in The Whispering Swarm we see that every piece of fiction exists across the Skrayling Tree. Which includes Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes, and other popular folklore heroes.

Also, Doctor Who and Michael Moorcock's Multiverse are canon to each other as of Doctor Who: The Coming of Terraphiles. Which was published by BBC, and written by Michael Moorcock. Which revealed that the Doctor was one of the Eternal Champions.

A quick compilation of Elric of Melniboné's feats, and their relevance.

Last edited:

Atem

King of Games
Since I now have a way to easily screen-cap excerpts from the Second Ether trilogy? I will be posting some stuff.

Taken from Blood.

Jack, and another jugador play a game. They create a multiverse within the infinitely sized dimension they reside in. Where they manipulate every aspect of it. Including the plot, and sub-plots. History. The events that happen therein. Etcetera. Defined as a tenth dimensional space: It's a Mandelbrot multiverse but one among many they create. They are even able to contain it in a section of the place they're in.

Spoiler:

Once again, the multiverse is referred to as infinite in size by Rose von Bek. Jack disagrees but it's made clear throughout the story that she is actually correct, and even knows more about Jack than he himself does. Between the two of them? Rose von Bek is far more informed about the nature of reality than Jack is.

Fractals are brought up again, and Chaos Engineers can reach all the way up to infinity.

Spoiler:

Jack is only able to actually recreate the whole Skrayling Tree with Pearl's assistance. It's a temporary power-up. I repeat somebody who can casually create and control Mandelbrot multiverses does not have enough power to recreate the Skrayling Tree by themselves. Once again proving that the Skrayling Tree is beyond the scope of Mandelbrot multiverses. It's only when Jack is "complete" does he have the power necessary to do this.

Spoiler:

Oh, and of course I can't forget: Quelch is expliclity noted to embody part of the human psyche, and notes within some internal monologue that he was born in the mediterranean. He's a Lord of Law. He is not a Lost God.

Spoiler:

Taken from The War Amongst the Angels.

The Second Ether is infinite in scale.

The Spammer Gain has to scale down to infinity. Meaning that it can reach scales above infinity.

Moving on from the Second Ether? I am going back to the Von Bek trilogy.

Taken from The City in Autumn Stars.

The multiverse is once again referred to as infinite. In this sequence we learn Mercury, Io, and Zeus are incarnations of the Eternal Champion.

Lucifer took charge of the holy grail, and kept it safe in hell. As we all know the Spammer Gain is the holy grail, and frequents the Second Ether.

Now for The Dragon in the Sword.

There are infinite parallel worlds.

In The Meta-Temporal Detective the moonbeam roads are referred to as infinite.

Last edited:

Atem

King of Games
It took me forever to find but Internet Archive also has The End of All Songs. Which again confirms that the multiverse is infinite, and that more exists outside of the Time Field. Also, it once again confirms that universes are infinite.

Atem

King of Games

In the sixth, we would see a plane of possible worlds, where we could compare and position all the possible universes that start with the same initial conditions as this one (i.e. the Big Bang). In theory, if you could master the fifth and sixth dimension, you could travel back in time or go to different futures.

In the seventh dimension, you have access to the possible worlds that start with different initial conditions. Whereas in the fifth and sixth, the initial conditions were the same and subsequent actions were different, here, everything is different from the very beginning of time. The eighth dimension again gives us a plane of such possible universe histories, each of which begins with different initial conditions and branches out infinitely (hence why they are called infinities).

In the ninth dimension, we can compare all the possible universe histories, starting with all the different possible laws of physics and initial conditions. In the tenth and final dimension, we arrive at the point in which everything possible and imaginable is covered. Beyond this, nothing can be imagined by us lowly mortals, which makes it the natural limitation of what we can conceive in terms of dimensions.

By the way, the fact that the spaces jugadors create have ten dimensions to them would imply this about their size.

Though I put little to no stock in this because it veers into VSB nonsense. :thunk

Generally, I just think of Michael Moorcock's Multiverse as another omniverse by Marvel's standards.

Atem

King of Games
The reason why men are so high up there is because their potential is extraordinary, and by bending the knee to Law or Chaos they actually weaken themselves. This is because everyone is a reality warper but they are wholly ignorant of it. The Lost Gods make note of this, and that the only reason men are subject to the whims of the Lords of the Higher Worlds is because they allow themselves to be.

Sorcerers not aligned with either Law or Chaos are especially powerful. And tend to be threats to the entire multiverse.

Rom the Chad Knight

The Cosmic Toaster
Kind of reminds me of Animal Man where The Mortal and Divine (God-hood) are one in the same and connected to The Red (Which connects all life in the Omniverse and is a constant) but Buddy was the only one to realize it becoming the body of god and sending his soul into the Over-void (God)

Except it dives off a board since he somehow remembers what happened before the Crisis and has abilities he really shouldn't have.

Atem

King of Games
Maximilian Silverskin lets loose. He is another incarnation of the Eternal Champion, and puts on quite a show as he restores one particular version of Tanelorn called Karadur.

Taken from Silverheart.

Atem

King of Games
Another thing to note about Zoroastrianism is that things are both infinite and finite in it. Which explains why the multiverse is so contradictory about it, and why Michael Moorcock mentions both infinites and finites.

It's not because one or the other exists. It's because both exist at once.

Atem

King of Games
Especially in regards to reaching said infinite which requires complete mastery of your own soul. Which is why I brought up Silverheart. The reason why Max got so powerful near the end was because he completed the reconciliation, got the four ikons, and thus now held complete control over his dream quests.

Top Bottom