• It is now possible to use the forum via the PWA (Progressive Web App) feature in browsers. You may get a message from your browser. It is not necessary to add this, but is a nice feature.
  • More languages + Cat Dank + Tooltip Feature for Reactions were added ! (see preferences) More to come!

• Please check this: link regarding changes in PotW and GotW schedules!
    - Contest Central

• "Lifestyle Lounge: Thread of the Month Contest!"
    Come make a fun thread in the Lifestyle Lounge! Deadline is September 30th, 2021.
  • Welcome to the forums! Take a second to look at our Beginner's Guide. It contains the information necessary for you to have an easier experience here.

Thanks and have fun. -NF staff

CONSERVATIVE BLACK POLITICIAN LARRY ELDER TOLD CANDACE OWENS SLAVE OWNERS DESERVE REPARATIONS TOO

Masterblack06

Quantum Entity
Larry Elder, a conservative Black politician in California, the conversation on reparations to a new level when he said he believes the descendants of slave owners deserve compensation, too—not just Black people whose ancestors were captured and enslaved against their will.

Elder on The Candace Owens Show in July, but a clip from his interview with the conservative talk show host has resurfaced and is circulating on the web. On the “PragerU” podcast, he told Owens that slave owners should have received reparations after slavery ended because they lost legal “property,” Yahoo! .

“When people talk about reparations, do they really want to have that conversation? Because, like it or not, slavery was legal,” Elder said. “Their legal property was taken away from them after the Civil War, so you could make an argument that the people that are owed reparations are not only just Black people but also the people whose ‘property’ was taken away after the end of the Civil War.”

Elder justified his argument by referencing how British slave owners were compensated after slavery ended with the passing of the Slavery Abolition Act of 1833.

“Did you know that slave owners were compensated?” Elder told Owens. “After they lost their quote-unquote ‘property,’ the government compensated slave owners.”

Elder’s misguided analysis erupted in a wave of criticism on Twitter.

One tweeter said, “I guess it doesn’t matter to him that the so-called property were people, our ancestors.”

“Are the butter biscuits really that good,” the tweeter asked.

Comedian and radio host DL Hughley compared Elder to R. Kelly.

“#LarryElder saying the families of former slave owners should get reparations for losing their property! Is like saying #RKelly deserves compensation for babysitting,” Hughley wrote.

:confusedjr

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
When the population of Sub-Saharan Africa (1.14 billion) surpasses that of India (1.38 billion) and China (1.40 billion), I'll change sides and join the pro-black cause, because that does seem to be where the real fight is this century.

@Gunners @Huey Freeman

Amol

Chief of Wisdom
>Conservative
>Liberal Right

Uhm, sure? :derpko
This is mindset of someone who has no principles.

His first instinct was to do damage control by randomly calling a die hard conservative, a liberal. This is some 1984 shit of double speak. He literally decided this guy must be from his personally hated political spectrum just because it didn't fit his warped reality.

This is really why people like Trump has power. Far right wingers have abandoned logic long time ago. Everything is somehow by any stretch fault of left even if it would be laughable notion.

Fruits Basket Fan

Lib right is typically fiscally liberal and socially conservative, they can also be socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Sorry if you didn’t get the memo.

Yeah, because it is always the left's fault when the right does something out of line or controversial or vice versa (sarcasm)....

I am moderate by the way and this whole partisan fingerpointing is stupid and why this country is bitterly divided over what counts as "liberal" or "conservative" when they do not consider a middle way or room for compromises!

Last edited:

CoopoNitro7

You think China's stance is pro black?!?!
I didn’t know this man was a representative of ALL OF CHINA

I was assuming he had thought separate from the regime of his country

my god, Communism is powerful indeed if somehow everyone from China just automatically believes everything China says and does

Ruthless Tsuchikage

Didn't slave owners typically get compensation? Maybe not confederate ones due to being traitors but I recall British and Dutch slavers getting compensated for losing their slaves.

But more importantly....
CONSERVATIVE BLACK POLITICIAN LARRY ELDER TOLD CANDACE OWENS SLAVE OWNERS DESERVE REPARATIONS TOO
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US!?

CoopoNitro7

No, but I think "fixing" China and India is currently (slightly) more urgent than fixing Africa, since they represent more people.

Once Africa passes them, however, they will move to the top of the priority list.
I mean this thread currently has nothing to do with China India or Africa

So I got confused there

reiatsuflow

*walks in to do damage control on the poor man just trying to make a gotcha about how difficult the logistics of reparations would be*

*sees what happened to kisame*

Pliskin

*walks in to do damage control on the poor man just trying to make a gotcha about how difficult the logistics of reparations would be*

*sees what happened to kisame*

Did he though? I mean, slave owners got reparations in the end, so I find it really hard to bend what he actually said to mean what some people want him to have said.

dr_shadow

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I mean this thread currently has nothing to do with China India or Africa

So I got confused there

When I think about it, there are actually more blacks (about 40 million) in the United States than there are in Angola. Black America would be like the 8th largest African country if it was in Africa.

:blobsweat

(Almost all my posts are about demographic statistics)

reiatsuflow

Did he though? I mean, slave owners got reparations in the end, so I find it really hard to bend what he actually said to mean what some people want him to have said.

“When people talk about reparations, do they really want to have that conversation? Because, like it or not, slavery was legal,” Elder said. “Their legal property was taken away from them after the Civil War, so you could make an argument that the people that are owed reparations are not only just Black people but also the people whose ‘property’ was taken away after the end of the Civil War.”

He was trying to make a gotcha about reparations. That's not an interpretation, that's what he was doing. You can watch the full interview. which happened months ago, to no controversy, and is being brought up now as a late game attack on his run in california (probably unnecessary, I think he already lost).

The reaction here is that his gotcha point was silly and not that he was defending slavery (?), slaveowners (??) or whatever other reach.

Pliskin

He was trying to make a gotcha about reparations. That's not an interpretation, that's what he was doing. You can watch the full interview. which happened months ago, to no controversy, and is being brought up now as a late game attack on his run in california (probably unnecessary, I think he already lost).

The reaction here is that his gotcha point was silly and not that he was defending slavery (?), slaveowners (??) or whatever other reach.
Exactly, it was a silly gotcha about a serious topic.

So silly indeed, that it makes you question how the hell anyone with a room temperature IQ could slip up like that outside of baiting/trolling. Baiting and trolling about a very sensitive topic in a heated election in a fractured country.

So agreed.

reiatsuflow

There's nothing I can say here because if I point out that slaveowners were not fully compensated for their slaves being emancipated in the sense that compensation was "rarely equal to the slave's market value", I risk getting into a stupid argument about a stupid subject.

Pliskin

There's nothing I can say here because if I point out that slaveowners were not fully compensated for their slaves being emancipated in the sense that compensation was "rarely equal to the slave's market value", I risk getting into a stupid argument about a stupid subject.
Considering that full and fair compensation should arguably include a trip to hell via the gallows express, agreed.

Top Bottom